Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #1
Eugen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well well... My first post in these forums... Hello to you all then and now lets post-->

Ok, for first sorry my strange english, hope you understand most of it. I have few questions about original IWD.

1.First question about wands. How many charges each wand has? Is it same for all wands or is it not?

2. What is "speed factor"? Would there be more hits with weapon with higher speed factor than with lower speed factor weapon?

3. Fire and ice/snow monsters. Do they take more damage from spells from opposite element? I mean, does Ice trolls take more damage from fire than from anything other?

4. If my thief wears ring with non-detection and has very low stealth skill, can he even be detected(Except that if thief leaves shadows)?

5. Which one is better vs normal enemies, Conlans hammer or Star forged warhammer +4(1D4+5 THACO +4 Save vs spelss +2 and 10% magical resistance)

Thats all at this moment, thank you!
Eugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

well firstly welcome to this forum!
great to see fresh people in the world of rpg.
browse the site when you get time. you'll surely meet some masters. to start with if you're new to rpg don't conc too much on statistical details. learn to enjoy the game. maybe second time round you could enhance your party and skills.

now for your questions.

1> wands normally have different number of charges. when i played i didn't bother using the wands. i'd thus advise you to sell it off. but try it if you please.

2> the lesser the speed factor the quiicker the weapon. i'd compare the damage first and if they are the same then go for the one with greater speed (lesser speed factor).

3> yes fire monsters take damage from cold spells and vice versa. trolls are particularly susceptible to fire. a couple of carefully placed and timed fireballs could end your troll worries.
4> technically he shouldn't. i've hardly used this tactic. i prefer the open battle field rent with warcry rather than the cloak and dagger methods.
5> starforged IMHO. i used conlans hammer only on golems. that too if i had too. or else i sent one guy to divert their attention thereby having them running all around the place and leaving my guys to tear the place apart.

take care and happy hunting!!
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:47 AM   #3
ister
Drow Warrior

"Non-detection" protects your thief from "detect invisibility', and any other spell or ability that would normally reveal him when he's hidden. So you need to have decent stealth to be able to take advantage of it.

Speed factor determines who attacks first. It's generally not too important. Where it does matter is for backstabing - if your enemy moves before you attack him you lose out all together. So try to get the lowest possible speed factor if you'll be backstabbing.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

^^what he said moreover:

your perecentage in stealth determines the chance of becoming hidden. Once your hidden you cannot be detected (no matter your skill), unless by some spells. Cloak of non-detection protects from those spells.

To replenish your wand charges sell it and rebuy it.

Speed factor does not give extra attacks per round. Only determines how fast it hits.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
Eugen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm not so "new". I have played IWD for few years now but started after long break again. Bit it doesen't matter
Eugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

Eugen,

Some monsters do not have the weakness against elements like you think they might. For instance, there are some (IIRC) Ice Trolls that have some resistance against fire spells. They just have a higher resistance against cold spells (Resistance or no, I still throw Fireballs at them!)

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hi Eugen, [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

1. Number of charges depends on the wand. I've never used up all the charges in a wand, but I know that selling and buying back recharges it, as ZFR said.

2. Serak nailed this answer, too. I usually try to have each melee type character carry one "damage" weapon with a high speed factor, like a flail, axe or greatsword, and one "disrupter" weapon like a shortsword, club, dagger, even a longsword. I will sometimes switch if fighting a spellcaster. Weapon speed is also a factor I look at when deciding what magical weapons to keep and what to sell. And no, you cannot get extra attacks in a round for weapons with lower speed factors. I don't think the round ends any sooner. Pity.

3. This site has specific info on creature resistances. Off the top of my head, I know that yeti take extra fire damage, and the salamanders take extra damage from their opposite element.

4. As ister said, non-detection only protects against spells that detect, like detect invisibility and invisibility purge. I've never found a use for this spell, and generally sell it as soon as I find it. However, it may have a use in one area that has monsters that can see through invisibility and stealthed thieves. I haven't tested it yet, but it's a possibility. To my knowledge, non-detection has no effect on the likelihood of losing your stealth while walking around.

5. Star-forged, hands down. I only use Conlan's against golems, unless I'm early in the game and have no better hammers. The star-forged hammer is significantly better against normal enemies. Hits easier and harder, and also gives some resistances.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
ister
Drow Warrior

Spoiler?

I had the tarnished sentries see my thief who had the non-detection thieving ring (can't remember the name). So I'm certain that non-detection doen't help you against monsters who can see invisibility, just against spells that make you visible. I've not seen an enemy cast these spells. So unless I wanted to cast it, non-detection is useless.

[ 02-08-2005, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: ister ]
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote