Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-10-2001, 09:32 PM   #1
Jordi
Dungeon Master

Does the use of a wand summon the cowled wizards?

Also, is there only some probability that they will appear? Do some spells seem more likely to summon them?
Old 12-10-2001, 11:13 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I don't know for sure about wands, but I would imagine they would cause cowled wizards to spawn, seeing as how Keldorn's sword (which deals magic damage when he is damaged) causes them to spawn.

I think any spell will cause them to appear, except if they attack you (after you've used magic more than once), after you kill them you have to sleep for a spell to summon them again.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:41 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I don't know for sure about wands, but I would imagine they would cause cowled wizards to spawn, seeing as how Keldorn's sword (which deals magic damage when he is damaged) causes them to spawn.

Keldorn's sword is bugged, Balderdash has a patch to fix it. Cowled Wizards only come a knocking if you cast Mage spells. You can use Priest spells, special abilities, and equipment spells safely.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 12:08 AM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

Keldorn's sword is bugged, Balderdash has a patch to fix it. Cowled Wizards only come a knocking if you cast Mage spells. You can use Priest spells, special abilities, and equipment spells safely.

Really? That's a bug? Cause it sure is annoying. Oh yeah, forgot about priest spells
Old 12-11-2001, 02:58 AM   #5
Whailor

Yes it is a bug. Good thing the Baldurash has a fix for it, since I am saving the Cowled Fools for later days, when I need to waste some time and don't want to do it the boring way.

I haven't tried, but theoretically the wands shouldn't cause the wizards to come, as you use the items to get the spell. But I haven't tried that yet. Maybe I should, and even if they come to mess with me, I just spank them.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:20 AM   #6
Janus
Dungeon Master

you do know iof you want to stop them from coming just pay the guy in the goverment district. Hes the one in the concil of six, near the door. that will alow you to cast magic wherever you want and no cowld wizards will appear. Hope that helps. you probably knew already.
\"Freedom can only be gained through the barrel of a shotgun\"<br />Mao Tse-Tung<p>The Workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. WORKERS OF ALL COUNTRIES, UNITE!\"<br />Karl Marx and Frederick Engels
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:38 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Janus:
you do know iof you want to stop them from coming just pay the guy in the goverment district. Hes the one in the concil of six, near the door. that will alow you to cast magic wherever you want and no cowld wizards will appear. Hope that helps. you probably knew already.

Goodness gracious! Me? Fill their pockets with gold? NEVER! They shall never get a single gold coin from me! Die, Cowled Wizards. Die!
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:05 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jordi:
Does the use of a wand summon the cowled wizards?

Yes.

quote:

Also, is there only some probability that they will appear? Do some spells seem more likely to summon them?

They will always appear in a set of predetermined locations if you use arcane magic (as opposed to divine magic) and don't have a license.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:09 AM   #9
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Is it attacking spells or all spells? I am pretty sure I have cast stoneskin before a battle and they don't show up.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:53 AM   #10
Jordi
Dungeon Master

QTE:
Goodness gracious! Me? Fill their pockets with gold? NEVER! They shall never get a single
gold coin from me! Die, Cowled Wizards. Die!

Right! That was assumed in my original post.

What, pray tell, is the difference in arcane and divine magic?