Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-14-2002, 12:24 PM   #1
Whailor

Allrighty..

Got my ToB finally, installing it. Question I have however is for those who have SoA, ToB and also Baldurash fixpacks: what to install and what not to install?

When looking on Baldurash page, he writes that the SoA fixes should NOT be installed when a person is planning to install ToB or already as the ToB. Does that then mean that NOT a single patch should be added, meaning that these important fixes - like Nishruu-proof items, dialog.tlk fixer etc - are already contained in ToB FixPack as well? I would really hate to run again into this old Nisruu bug.

Also, when installing SoA + ToB, did you patch SoA first and then ToB or patched only ToB? I mean here the official Bioware patches. I recall that with BG1 + TotSC, when you patched BG1 and then also patched TotSC, the game crashed with some assertion failed message because of that, and only way to fix it was to re-install BG1 AND TotSC, and patch ONLY TotSC (not BG1). Is same with the SoA and ToB? Does the ToB patch have the fixes presented already in SoA patch?

I would appreciate some quick answers, as I am installing it all at the moment
Old 01-14-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The proper sequence for installation is as follows:

BG2:SOA

BG2:SOA patches

BG2:TOB

BG2:TOB patches

you should NOT apply ANY SOA related patches once TOB has been installed!

also, it won't do any damage if you have already patched SOA before installing TOB.

As for the Baldurdash fixes, I personally have not used any. My games have run totally without error without them, just using the sequence above. I also believe that some of the Baldurdash fixes are actually MODS (modifications) that actually change the game play and beef up some of the baddies. I would suggest playing the game through without them first!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:15 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer

IF the idea of installing TOB over a patched SOA bothers you, then just backup your saved games, uninstall SOA (patched), reinstall SOA, restore your saved games, then install TOB over the clean unpatched SOA install, and THEN apply the TOB patch.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:26 PM   #4
Erydian
Manshoon

A lot of the fixes that Baldurdash provides are fixes to problems that do exist in BG2 (mainly, items that don't work as they are described, bugs that occur when certain spells are cast, Irenicus possessing a chaotic good alignment , spells that don't work as described, or don't work when they should, script errors, dialog errors, etc.). If you look at his buglist, you'll see this. These are actual verified bugs - I don't think I have ever seen a mod on his site.

Granted, some of the bugs aren't crucial to the game, but some of them can be. I know I've run into a couple I wish I hadn't. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Additionally you can download and install the fixes individually if there are some fixes that you'd rather not apply - just apply the ones you do want.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]

Old 01-15-2002, 01:10 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I got everything... including Grandmastery patch, improved looking Robe of Vecna, etc... ...

I basically did a full uninstall and reinstall, then applied the patches liberally.

I did not add in things like Xp cap remover though.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:13 AM   #6
Whailor

OK, from history, way back: when you installed BG1, then applied the BG1 patch, then later installed TotSC the game crashed and never started up. You then applied the TotSC patch and the game crashed even harder. Only way to make it work was to uninstall it all, install BG1 and then TotSC and THEN patch the TotSC ONLY - then it started to work.

As I did at the moment - I installed BG2: SoA, then BG2: ToB, then BG2: ToB patch and then applied the fixpack for ToB from Baldurash. What however wonders me is - would it all have worked if I would have done BG2: SoA install, patch BG2: SoA, then install BG2: ToB, patch it too, and then launch it? Would it work? Or would it crash.. Didn't read up all the information on Baldurash on his ToB fixpack, I wonder if that fixpack also has the Nishruu fix in, or was it fixed with ToB official patch? Also regarding all the item fixes..

Side note: had the romance with Viconia going on, all was nice and dandy. In SoA. But when I installed ToB, the romance got messed up and interrupted heh. Whatta... Guess it was a sign to start the game anew anyway heh.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:22 AM   #7
Tim Tam
Dungeon Master

All you have to do is install SoA, then ToB, then ToB Patch, then the Baldurdash ToB Fixpack (or single fixes if you want). You dont need to patch SoA before installing ToB.
Tim Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:58 AM   #8
Glorfindel

[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] Where u from in Australia Tim Tam??
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 12:04 PM   #9
Tim Tam
Dungeon Master

Brisvegas
Tim Tam is offline   Reply With Quote