Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-01-2002, 12:28 AM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

This blows. Unless there is an extremely exceptional PC out there that sells for $500, then I am to wait for what seems eternity for a faster computer. I have this long list of games that I would like to have, but can't due to the fact that my computer doesn't even come close to the recommendations. My parents have been nagging me to make up a Christmas list so they can get their shopping done before they go on their cruise the 15th thru the 22nd. Pretty much, all I'm asking for is two sweatshirts and a pair of shoes..
Don't get me wrong though, this isn't what I'm complaining about. It wouldn't matter to me if I got anything, just as long as I was able to see and be with my family. Let's see, right now I'm closing in on the end of the first semester in school; meaning, I have three full semesters before I officially graduate. Also meaning, I have one complete year to wait before my parents go out and buy me a new notebook(labtop). Peril has never meant so much to me. The agony of sitting at my computer everday, for one having ID2 and not being able to play it efficiently, and also not being able to play the games that I haven't already beaten. I know some of you feel like these next four weeks will seem like forever, but I have a year to top that.
Now that I think about it, by the time I get that new computer, there would have been a handful of games released that I wish I could have played but couldn't. It seems more of a hastle to balance three or four games that you like to play but can't decide on which to play, but ten or more? I think I'm going to have a gaming breakdown, maybe I'll contract some disorder that makes me go into these mental spasms every couple of minutes. Who knows, maybe by then I'll be in a mental institution. I've had plenty of time to reflect on my circumstance and the options are unbearable. I fear, as a result, you all will see less of me as I see less of my computer..
Old 12-01-2002, 12:33 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Nano, check the school newspaper at your college and see what you can find in the ads. A lot of students who are graduating sell their computers before they leave school, especially international students who don't wish to pay the hefty duties and tariffs for importing a computer to their home country. You can sometimes get a great system for a lot less than you'd believe.

Good luck to you!

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 12-01-2002, 12:38 AM   #3
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Nano, check the school newspaper at your college and see what you can find in the ads. A lot of students who are graduating sell their computers before they leave school, especially international students who don't wish to pay the hefty duties and tariffs for importing a computer to their home country. You can sometimes get a great system for a lot less than you'd believe.
I am often misleading aren't I?
If I've confused you, Saz, I'm a junior in highschool.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:43 AM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Why don't you try instead to ask for a new Video Card for your PC for Christmas? It may not fix your total old PC problems, but may allow you to play some games you haven't before [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-01-2002, 12:44 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ooops, wow, I had no idea, Nano...I honestly thought you were in college. Silly me! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Ok...hm, well, *is* there a college around with a school newspaper? If not, does your town have a "Green Sheet" or other "classifieds-only" free paper that runs like weekly or bi-weekly ads for the community? We have those here in Texas and they always have some great bargains.

It's a pity that you're not in the Dallas area. Every first Saturday of the month, all the tech-heads meet starting at 4:30 in the morning in downtown Dallas in a set of parking lots and have a computer *swap meet*. You can get a whole system there for under $200 that's comparable to what you can buy in stores nowadays for $1,000.

Be that as it may, do check the "personal classified" papers...you may find something. I'll keep hoping for you.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

Old 12-01-2002, 12:47 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

LadyZekke's got a good idea, too, Nano. I'm not sure what your current specs are, but if they're upgradable, you may wish to go that route. If you do upgrade, make sure you have a powerful enough power supply to cover the new parts along with the rest of your system.

-Saz

Old 12-01-2002, 12:52 AM   #7
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

So what if your only a Junior in High school. Every town has a recycle paper and you can find Computers like pent 3/800 MB for $350.00 or less and show the paper to your parents tell them this is what you want for christmas!
GOOD LUCK AND MERRY CHRISTMAS Nanobyte
Old 12-01-2002, 12:53 AM   #8
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Why don't you try instead to ask for a new Video Card for your PC for Christmas? It may not fix your total old PC problems, but may allow you to play some games you haven't before [img]smile.gif[/img]
I have asked, but my dad doesn't want to spend any money on this computer for what reason I know not. I'll try asking for it, but the chances of my dad getting the right one are slim. Which would last me a while, and at the same time, cost closer to the $150 mark (or preferably below)? If it helps any, the games I'm interested in right now are Arx Fatalis, NWN, and Morrowind and its expansion. ID2 is hardly a problem, my computer just crashes every so often (like when I try to play with other people)

EDIT: I'm not sure of my specs. I remembers someone mentioning a program a while back that I could use to find out, but I can not remember what it was. SpecDoc or something, I'm not sure.

[ 12-01-2002, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Nanobyte ]
Old 12-01-2002, 01:00 AM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well just tell your Dad a lot of people can't afford brand new PCs either, so instead we just upgrade parts (similar to a car). I think a new video card might at least get you able to play NWNs (as most people needed a new video card to play that particular game (the one I bought only cost $100.00), see the NWNs forum for more info re that). But of course I can't say this for certain not knowing what exactly you have PC-wise. Hey, it's at least worth a shot though Nanobyte! Better than a sweater! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-01-2002, 01:03 AM   #10
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Ok...hm, well, *is* there a college around with a school newspaper?
The closest is Davidson, about two miles along the interstate, and I doubt if they have one considering they are a private institute.

Quote:
If not, does your town have a "Green Sheet" or other "classifieds-only" free paper that runs like weekly or bi-weekly ads for the community?
I honestly do not know. Would these be included in the local paper, or what? I've never seen one, or heard anyone mention one.

Quote:
It's a pity that you're not in the Dallas area. Every first Saturday of the month, all the tech-heads meet starting at 4:30 in the morning in downtown Dallas in a set of parking lots and have a computer *swap meet*. You can get a whole system there for under $200 that's comparable to what you can buy in stores nowadays for $1,000.
I think there are computer conventions of some sort over here, just not as frequent. My dad goes whenever they're closeby, but I've never been to one. I have no idea when there will be another.