Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2001, 02:41 PM   #1
Halbred
The Magister

Any help concerning how i should build my character and what i should focus on... the do's and don't on how to play please post here. All input is appreciated! =) thanks
Old 03-15-2001, 02:49 PM   #2
MORDRICK THE MAD
The Magister

Reroll your stats a couple of times you can save your best score and keep rolling till you gaet a better one.
The method I use is:-
If you rolled 18 11 13 14 10 9 using your mouse on the up down button change this to 14 14 14 14 14 5 then save it and roll again all you need to do to see if you have better stats is the same again but hope you have more in your last column i.e 14 14 14 14 14 8 is a better roll.

Also if you chose a thief I would spend more on hide in shadows and find traps than anything else as these could stop you dying a horrible death.

------------------

At an early age, Mordrick the Monk showed Promise!
Old 03-15-2001, 03:15 PM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

Minor spoilers maybe
Mordrick, I agree on all but one thing you said: DON'T spend any points on hide in shadows as you will come across zillions of invisibility potions and even better, the spells invisibility, improved invisibility, invisibility radius '10 and mass invisibility. So use those points for Detect/Disarm traps, set snares, pick locks.
Halbred (is that a sort of halberd ), if you need more specific help, please post again. Maybe you can try and decide what character class you want first.

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-15-2001, 03:31 PM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hm. My policy on character creation is NEVER to accept a total Attributes score of less than 90. This can take a lot of re-rolls but is worth the boredom involved in the long run.
How to: You have a column of 6 figures. Make sure that every attribute scores at least 10. If you get a 9 or less in any row, press re-roll right away. Then just count up the score in the right column. If you get 30, then your total, with the 60 you get from the left column, will be 90. You can then re-distribute these between whichever abilities you like with the + & - buttons.
F.

Old 03-15-2001, 03:34 PM   #5
Sherpa Doug
Dungeon Master

Decide what type of character you want to play, then go for extreems. A character with all average stats is boring! If you make a fighter make him/her very very strong and dexy, even if you have to make him an ugly idiotic fool. Other party members can fill in for a bad stat in your PC, and if you play according to his stats he will have some character. When some oarcle gives him a riddle he can ask Boo for help

I give everyone high Dex as missile weapons rule! My thieves spend most of their time hiding or invisible. They only come out of hiding to backstab.

Old 03-15-2001, 03:49 PM   #6
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Minor Spoiler
I also avoid putting points in Charisma as the Ring of Human Influence is found pretty early in the game.

------------------
"The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive." Job: A Comedy of Justice
Old 03-15-2001, 04:00 PM   #7
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

it took me a while but my total score came out as 100 exactly (19,18,19,16,15,13)

------------------

Bruce The Aussie, Camp Barbarian Hunter OHF
Old 03-15-2001, 04:07 PM   #8
Dramnek_Ulk

i hav managed with an Half-elven conjuror after just two rolls

STr:14
Dex:18
Cons:16
Int:18
Wis:18
Cha:16

------------------

The most Holy and Divine Godly and Wise Noble and Kind Knights of the Ever burning Flame Imperishable of Eternal Hope and Faith from which all Life will find its Perfect Gleaming Shining Defense Force of honour and Righteous Justice

Old 03-15-2001, 04:36 PM   #9
Halbred
The Magister

Hi everyone thank you so much for you input. Just for everyone's FYI i am hoping to become an active part in this BGII gaming community. My name Halbred, to answer the earlier questions, is a typo of the weapon Halberd. =) I thought the way i spelt it made the pronunciation a lot friendlier.
I am from Honolulu, Hi and am a veteran and active part of the online gaming community of Mechcommander within Starlance. (www.starlance.com)

Currently i have a half elf multiclassed Mage/Fighter i think. I am very new to this type of game but am having a blast learning how to play =) I'm at work right now, helping stupid people with stupid comp problems, when i return to my dorm i can fill you in as best i can with the exact specifics and logistics of my character.
I am still in the dungeon and just killed the monster after the sewer golem opens the door... not sure if you can decipher where i am from that description but that's where i am =)

Thanks again for all the help and include all the tips you know as well as your preferences for characters, weapons, spells, etc. If any of you require any assistance with Mechcommander let me know
Old 03-15-2001, 06:28 PM   #10
Halbred
The Magister

Any other help out there? anything is welcome =]