Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-03-2001, 11:22 PM   #1
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Warning SPOILER

What was the best you ever recieved from the Deck of Many Cards (and how did you get it)? I ask this because I often got diff. results w/ diff. reloads.

I believe the best I ever got was a permanent improved mantel (player char.) and an extra 1mil exp. points dist. between the group. Killed the cambion an took the cards using my player char. to draw all 3.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:34 PM   #2
Sagath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Repost from Black Isle MB's, also posted in this ToB forum, way back.
all quoted below
-------------------
credit goes to Sestuna on the Black Isle MBs
MAJOR SPOILER ON HOW THE DECK OF MANY THINGS WORKS!!!
Don't steal this faq unless you give me credit. Please. I wrote it first, fair and square.
This is a list of all the possible outcomes from the deck of many things. I was dissappointed; DaveG said that it circumvented the save/reload thing. He lied. He also said that the strategy guide missed one. He also lied. That is, unless the file itself is lying to me (which I doubt).
Here's how the deck works. Keep in mind this is a *BIG* spoiler!
Here's how it works. *'ed cards are considered Bad Draws. The previous draw affects the subsequent draw. Note that some of the other draws can be pretty bad too, but they're not considered BAD in terms of subsequent drawing. Once you have drawn a BAD card, you will have to continue using the BAD draw list. This means that if you draw a good, then bad card, your third draw will be from the bad list.
First draw (random):

-Donjon* (Imprison user, save at -4)
-Ruin* (Party loses all gold)
-Euryale (permanent -1 to all saves, no save. ha ha.)
-Flames (Gate in a Balor and 4 fire elementals to play with)
-Gem (Get a rogue stone, king's tear, sapphire, diamond, ruby and emerald)
-Jester (User gets 50,000 exp)
Second Draw (if first draw was a BAD card):
-Void* (Disintegrates user, save at -4)
-Key (Get a powerful magic item, I think it's a ring of protection +3)
-Star (Get +1 to one stat, depending on class (fight/barb/pal/ranger str, mage/sorc int, thief/bard dex, monk/cleric/druid wis)
-Rogue (User is dire charmed and attacks the party until dead. Cannot be dispelled, so kill the person and raise him/her)
-Sun (party gains 300,000 exp)
-Vizier (User gets a mantle spell that lasts 24 hours)
Second Draw (if first draw was a NOT a BAD card):
-Void* (see above)
-Magician* (user turned into a rabbit. Cure with remove curse)
-Knight (summons 4 demon knights to duke it out. They do not drop equipment once killed)
-Rogue (see above)
-Sun (see above)
-Vizier (see above)
Third Draw (no BAD cards yet). Note that this is the final draw you can pull.
-Skull (Gates in a Death Shade to play with. He attacks with +5 weapons, dispels magic with each hit, 100% magic resist, resists most attacks, sees invisible and attacks fast. Only tries to kill the user, and once the user is dead, leaves)
-Moon (+10 hp permanently)
-Talons (user permanently blinded until remove curse is cast)
-Fool (user's Wisdom lowered to 3 + confusion (no save). remove curse to restore wisdom, dispel to fix the confusion)
-Comet (5% fire resist permanently)
-Erinyes (+1 to all stats for 24 hours, also called the Fates)
Third Draw (Bad card happened sometime along the way)
-Skull (see above)
-Throne (party gains 1,000,000 exp)
-Moon (see above)
-Fool (see above)
Draw again? Deck dissappears. By the way, if you want to cheat, you can play with the global variables to manipulate what kind of draws you get, though you still get an equal chance in each case. The global variable is DOMTdraw. A value of 0 means no cards drawn yet, 1 means 1 drawn, etc. If the variable value is 3, it will auto-dissappear whenever you draw another one. The global to see if you've gotten a BAD card draw is BadCardDrawn. 1 meaning yes, 0 meaning no. If you don't mess with the global variables, if you cheat in a deck of many things (item code: deck), your first draw (from the second (cheated) deck will make the deck dissappear (DOMTdraw = 3).
Optimally, you probably want that 1,000,000 exp, you'll go for a bad card in the first draw (and survive, hopefully), then go for either Star, Sun or Key in the second draw, then the Throne in the third. However, I did notice that there are only 4 possibilities on the third draw after having drawn a bad card before. Perhaps those are undisclosed happenings, but I haven't seen it yet. Perhaps that was what DaveG was talking about before, that the strategy guide missed, because everything else shown in here is listed in the guide. If you want to cheat, you can set the global variable BadCardDrawn to 1 before you even start drawing, so you can get a *good* card (jester) in the first draw, and still get to those other cards in the subsequent ones.
Hope it helps.
--Setsuna

End Quote
------------------

I also hope this answers your question(s)

Good Luck!

------------------
Sagath Steelblade. 26th Fighter, LG
Gilimi Silverwing, 27th Monk, LG

Jan: Greetings, Everyone. Sorry, no gifts or souvenirs this time but I'll keep you all in mind the next time I'm gone. Oh, Keldorn: the gods say 'Hi' and that you should wash your underwear more thoroughly. Everyone ready? Let's go adventuring.
Sagath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:50 PM   #3
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Thanks but it was a bit different for my best. Note however that he doesn't say what a first good draw is. Also it appears that he is presuming that you are drawing with the cambion.

Note: I got Vizier on the first draw and the 1 mil on the sec. draw, my third draw and the cards disappeared.

(come to think of it I believe that the improve mantel did ware-off after a while.)

Man I wish I had gotten the Skull. That would have been FUN!
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote