Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 05:19 AM   #1
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

The Illithid are supposed to be super intellligent. I would have thought that the most intelligent species on Faerun would go for a form of entertainment more high-brow than pit-fighting. It would make more sense if they captured lesser creatures and forced them to perform Latin translations of Greek plays or something like that.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:30 AM   #2
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

They are also a very evil race, so maybe that is why pit fighting appeals to the, and not Latin translations of Greek plays
Old 10-28-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

I was reading a book (one of the drizzt series by R.A Salvatore I think) and in the it explains that illithids are an extremely competitive race, and the idea of throwing there own personal little champions into battle must satify some deep inner need to win agaisnt each other. They capture other races and enslave them, making them fight or ( for the nimble races) tend to the "master brain" of there colony.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Riftmaker
Elminster

They also have a pit-area in Darksun: Wake of the Ravager. I'm beginning to think that BG2 stole that idea from them...

Old 10-29-2004, 12:06 PM   #5
IronDragon
Elminster

While reciting Greek plays would be incredibly evil it would make for a boring story line if our hero and friends were captured and made to do such.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #6
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

And plus, I doubt they have the Greek or Latin language in Faerūn

--Kestrel--

[ 11-02-2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Kestrel Daystar ]
Old 11-04-2004, 08:22 AM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Well they obviously have the english language, (or how would we understand them?) so why not Latin or Greek? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Dirty meg makes an amusing hypothetical joke - it could be applied also to the more scholarly texts found within the game rather than our own classical plays. (The prophecies or writings of Alaundo mayhaps?)

I think its logical that if one is captured by the Illithids and made to fight in the pit, to them it is a demonstration of the power and control that they have. Its simply a primal form of entertainment to reduce their prisoners to pure survival instinct. It is also in the interests of science, so you could say its an experimental test.

Personally, I get the chills when I think about the Mindflayers objectively making analytical deductions with their 'superior intellect'.

That's why its such a liberating feeling to kill them
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote