Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

Default Re: Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
I didn't want to ask questions about books in fear of standing out and derailing Wellard's thread
That's never worried you before

Hey this is a discussion about any and all books feel free to ask away

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
wellard
Dracolisk

Just read that Michael Moorcock is writing a Dr Who novel - no idead if it is a tie in with a film or just a stand alone book.

I have heard about and seen his books everywhere but never read any of them, is anyone here a Michael Moorcock fan?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
Just read that Michael Moorcock is writing a Dr Who novel - no idead if it is a tie in with a film or just a stand alone book.

I have heard about and seen his books everywhere but never read any of them, is anyone here a Michael Moorcock fan?
Interesting. Amazon lists this book as coming out Nov. 30th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon.com
Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles Michael Moorcock Description 'Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut is a lot harder than you might think.' Miggea - a world on the very edge of reality. The cusp between this universe and the next. A point where space-time has worn thin, and is in danger of collapsing... And the venue for the grand finals of the competition to win the fabled Arrow of Law. The Doctor and Amy have joined the Terraphiles - a group obsessed with all aspects of Earth's history, and dedicated to re-enacting ancient sporting events. They are determined to win the Arrow. But just getting to Miggea proves tricky. Reality is collapsing, ships are disappearing, and Captain Cornelius and his pirates are looking for easy pickings. Even when they arrive, the Doctor and Amy's troubles won't be over. They have to find out who is so desperate to get the Arrow of Law that they will kill for it. And uncover the traitor on their own team. And win the contest fair and square. And, of course, they need to save the universe from total destruction.
It doesn't appear to be one of the "New Series Adventures"--it's published by Random House UK instead of BBC books, is 320 pages instead of ~250, and is listed at $25 instead of the $11.99.

Anyone else a fan of the New Series Adventures? I started collecting them, and this week got delivery of 4 used books featuring the 9th Doctor to complete my collection (6 for 9th Doctor, 30 for 10th).

Part of the reason I like them is because they are short enough to read in a single.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Naomi Novik: The Temeraire novels - excellent books about the Napoleon wars - but add some dragons and you've got some fantastic scenes.
Richard A. Knaak: I have only red his Warcraft novels but these are amazing pieces of art about the major characters of Kalimdor.
Robin Hobb: Assasins novels - very dark and somewhat depressing reading
Ed Greenwood: Knights of myth drannor - the scene were Vangerdahast squares off against Mansoon only to be interupted by Khelben...mayhem about to explode when E. comes bumbling into the mix and makes me laugh so hard I have Fanta comming out of my eyes.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #15
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Currently reading "The LCT Story" by William Baker. LCTs (Landing Craft, Tank) and LSTs (Landing Ship, Tank, or Large Slow Target) were the ships that took men/tanks/etc up to the beaches during amphibious landings in WWII. My Dad was on an LCT that hit Omaha Beach on the D-Day invasion of France. From the stories he'd told me, plus what I've read so far, his boat was one of the first 8 to touch the beach at the start of the invasion.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #16
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Bought a few books by the author John Keel who wrote The Mothman Prophecies. I ordered the books online via various sellers from Alabris Books. So I'm reading one now called Our Haunted Planet which is basically a short chat about different perspectives and thoughts on mysterious things like pyramids, ancient civilizations, disappearing cities, etc. Book was written in the early '70s, and man does it show! If I bend an ear at the top of a page to bookmark my place, said bend breaks totally off. If I grip a page too tightly while turning it, a piece will rip off in my hands. The outside spine's outer covering is totally flaking off as well the more I open the book LOL. I got to putting a post-it note on a page as a bookmark, but then when I went to take the post-it note off, pulling downward, almost an entire page ripped off with it LOL. Sheesh! It's like, once I finish the book it will be disintegrated LOL.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #17
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRider View Post
Currently reading "The LCT Story" by William Baker. LCTs (Landing Craft, Tank) and LSTs (Landing Ship, Tank, or Large Slow Target) were the ships that took men/tanks/etc up to the beaches during amphibious landings in WWII. My Dad was on an LCT that hit Omaha Beach on the D-Day invasion of France. From the stories he'd told me, plus what I've read so far, his boat was one of the first 8 to touch the beach at the start of the invasion.
If only from what i have seen in the movies then your father is a very lucky man to survive. but more important in a way is how lucky we are as a world to have had people like him brave enough to fight and help turn the tide of evil. DEEP RESPECT

Vulcan rider have you ever thought of taping his stories and memories of that time?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #18
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Jacqueline Carey is a very good author if you like your fantasy world with great sex scenes.
joe abercrombie is awesome for dark/gritty fantasy.
elaine cunningham has some awesome drow books
julie e czerneda writes an awesome space opera
elizabeth hayden writes a really deep plot in the fantasy catagory
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #19
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'm drunk, and am thinking out loud here, but am i the only one to think that great sex scenes in a book are like fish out of water?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
If only from what i have seen in the movies then your father is a very lucky man to survive. but more important in a way is how lucky we are as a world to have had people like him brave enough to fight and help turn the tide of evil. DEEP RESPECT

Vulcan rider have you ever thought of taping his stories and memories of that time?
Too late -- he passed away in '96, and I can only remember him talking about 2 or 3 incidents. That's one of the reasons I bought this book. I was hoping someone would mention the same stories, and I could pick up some more info, and maybe hear some new stories.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote