Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Surprised Man Ebay Buyers Protection Policy

Just curious among Ebay users, have any of you have used this before? I am doing one right now as I am posting this.

I believe the item I purchased in ebay is a pirated copy (a very good pirated copy if I may say). I tried contacting the seller twice but no response yet. But I am running out of time to open the dispute with paypal (45 -60) days limitation.

I decided to do, but I am curious to others people experiences. Any thoughts? I really am not a confrontational person, but I am seriously peeved last week when I recieved the copy.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Default Re: Ebay Buyers Protection Policy

update: well I am on speaking terms with the seller. I guess the dispute scared him alittle into acting.

Catch me if you can..
Old 12-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Hmm, I've never really had a run in with anything like that online.

Yeah, a dispute is almost always the best route. Speak if you want to be heard- kind of thinking. lol

How'd it turn out? (if its already been settled?)
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I had that situation when I bought the entire Babylon 5 series in one set. It was a good fake, but you could tell by the video quality that it was a copy. I contacted the seller and email, to no avail.

EBay did post a warning not to deal with the person, but I got nothing.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
I had that situation when I bought the entire Babylon 5 series in one set. It was a good fake, but you could tell by the video quality that it was a copy. I contacted the seller and email, to no avail.

EBay did post a warning not to deal with the person, but I got nothing.
I went with Paypal with the dispute process if you paid with them. Did you do the same thing?

At this time, I have agreed with seller to refund the entire amount and I will return the item to him which I have done just last week. He should have recieved it by now but just in case he just tries to run away with my money the entire conversation is recorded in Paypal and I can escalate it as well if need be.

Hopefully that wont happen though.

Catch me if you can..
Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkoliar View Post
Just curious among Ebay users, have any of you have used this before? I am doing one right now as I am posting this.

I believe the item I purchased in ebay is a pirated copy (a very good pirated copy if I may say). I tried contacting the seller twice but no response yet. But I am running out of time to open the dispute with paypal (45 -60) days limitation.

I decided to do, but I am curious to others people experiences. Any thoughts? I really am not a confrontational person, but I am seriously peeved last week when I recieved the copy.
Were you under the impression it was a legitimate product? If so, then you did what you needed to do. However, many times in my experience, the seller will elude in a certain way it is not of legitimate quality.

I have dealt with a ebayer out of Saipan, who sells .PDF files of manuals, literally pennies on the dollar. But I will say, it was not copied from the book, it was copied from the net, to include the http for distro. Which lead me to investigate that website, which in turn charged a fee to access their version of said manual. Without saying, a .PDF for 1/10th the cost of the manual, or 1/9th the cost of web access makes for a cheap reference without hurting the publisher, who by the way, was not the web host. No harm, no foul. My only complaint is he does not provide the schematics, which makes tracing circuitry a bit difficult.

My morals may be a bit looser than yours, but if the product should be legit, then that is what you should receive.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I don't think I went the Paypal route. This was years ago. Some of the DVD's don't even play and look like they were copied of a VHS tape or something. They're just blurry.

I
Old 12-31-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Well just an update for you folks. The ebay paypal resolution process is pretty decent. Paypal is like the mediator but you communicate with the seller via the webpage that is provided by paypal. They will see what you both have typed.

I agreed with the full refund less shipping which is still better than nothing. Also everything happened very quickly. Once I agreed with the refund, paypal just refunded me in my paypal account in like 1minute and it looked like it was deducted from the sellers paypal a/c.

I also still had an option of escalating it but I am glad I didnt have to use it.

But not to worry about fairness if you think I got the wrong end of the stick. ( as I paid for shipping returning and sending it to me). I copied the dvd before returning it (as it was fake to being with anyway). That was my hidden and sweet revenge .

Catch me if you can..

Last edited by Harkoliar; 12-31-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
Target
Red Dragon

I thought i'd won a PC version of final fantasy 7, but it wasa fake and didn't work. After contacting the seller to tell them it didn't work, they did reply the first time with a suggestion to get it to work, it didn't. contacted them again and nothing. So went to paypal and got a full refund as the seller would not reply. Also meant I got postage back! So good for me.
Another seller strung me along, saying a toy had been posted, and must have been lost in the post. Kept saying they were looking into it until just after the dispute limitation, so lost everything.
If in doubt open the dispute, it can always be closed later.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
I thought i'd won a PC version of final fantasy 7, but it wasa fake and didn't work. After contacting the seller to tell them it didn't work, they did reply the first time with a suggestion to get it to work, it didn't. contacted them again and nothing. So went to paypal and got a full refund as the seller would not reply. Also meant I got postage back! So good for me.
Another seller strung me along, saying a toy had been posted, and must have been lost in the post. Kept saying they were looking into it until just after the dispute limitation, so lost everything.
If in doubt open the dispute, it can always be closed later.
I was thinking about that as well. If in doubt escalate it before the time expiration. Thats what I would have done else you will lose everything. Lesson learned I suppose.

Catch me if you can..