Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 03-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Zaleukos
The Magister

Watching Dunois in Joan of Arc dual wield flails (or possibly morning stars) made me want to do the same. I've however noticed the game doesnt allow this. Can I mod the game to allow for this awesome combo of chained might, and if so, how?

EDIT: I'm running SoU and HotU, currently playing the SoU campaign.

[ 03-14-2005, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Zaleukos ]
Zaleukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

You should be able to do this with light flails but not the big heavy ones.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
Zaleukos
The Magister

Nope, I get a message saying something like "chained weapons cant be dual wielded" when I try to dual the light flail.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmm as a light weapon it should be able to be dual weilded. However NWN has made it so it can't for some reason. Not sure if its intended or just a bug that hasn't been fixed.

Try reporting it to Bioware.

A way around this would be to make yourself a flail in the toolset but give it the item tag of another light weapon. That way it "could" be armed in the offhand.

You would have to take your weapon prof's though in the weapon that you set the item tag to.

I have never tried this but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

The game checks for base item type, rather than item tag. You could make a new weapon class looking like the flail through custom content.
However, I doubt they have the animations for it.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:28 AM   #6
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I stand corrected. I searched for a hak or override to help you out and couldn't find one.

Looks like it can't be done.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #7
Zaleukos
The Magister

Thanks, I'll stick to wielding a single axe instead then (after realizing just how much the character looks like some sort of Manowar drummer when dual wielding maces) [img]smile.gif[/img] Creating new weapons is not really an option. I want to use the equipment I find in the campaign.

I'll try reporting it to Bioware once tonights bloody paper is done. I cant see any logical reason for the ban on dual wielding these items.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaleukos:
I cant see any logical reason for the ban on dual wielding these items.
I'm no expert on medieval weaponry, but to me it seems terribly hard to pull off. It seems hard enough not to whack in your own skull instead of the enemy's while wielding only one of the blighters, let alone two. It would require some dedicated training to be effective I'd think. But like I said, this is based more on a preconception than on any factual knowledge.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #9
Zaleukos
The Magister

It would be very difficult IRL, but given that once your character is at the end of the OC (or SoU, not to mention once you hit HotU) he will hit god-of-war-ish levels I'd say screw that particular piece of "realism". At lower levels the malus to THAC0 serves as sufficient punishment.

I remember a Swedish PnP D&D clone that gave chain weapons some nice properties, like making them more difficult to block (and increased chance of "fumble" during attack).
Old 05-16-2005, 11:12 PM   #10
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I do know something of weaponry, and it would be difficult indeed to pull off. I like the increased chance of fumble that was mentioned above, as the first time I touched a *light* flail, I nearly knocked myself out... Note the emphasis on light above, as there is nothing light about a light flail, except as compared to a heavy flail, which I could not wield at all, at least, not effectively.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote