Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-16-2001, 06:45 PM   #11
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Quote:
if the character you created ISN'T a mage, or dualled to a mage, just forget it, you can't get a familiar. UNLESS you do some sort of cheat
Actually that isn't quite true. Beast Masters (a ranger kit) can cast for 'familiars'. But beast masters are supposed to stink so....

------------------

"Eh? No, I don't hold grudges. Why? There's nothing to hold a grudge against, I kill what pisses me off!"
Old 08-16-2001, 06:53 PM   #12
trux

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildhorse:
Keep in mind that I am talking about Imoen here. She's a full mage (dual class mage/robber). Don't tell me that, because she's a dual class, this even though her robber class is dead forever, she can never call it? There's also Aerie, but I'd understand for her since she's also a Cleric.
Only the character YOU create (i.e. the PC) can cast for a familiar, and then only if he/she is a mage. There are many reasons for this. Firstly, from a roleplaying position, who says that any of the NPC mages would even want a familiar? Secondly there would be lots of little useless critters running around to keep track of, and third all the NPC mages in the game are geared to become archmages - rarely do you find an archmage that has to rely on some little magically summoned creature to do his bidding for him.

Besides, like Milamber said in an above post, Familiars suck. They almost never come in handy, you have another practically helpless life to look after and they waste a slot in your inventory.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-16-2001, 07:08 PM   #13
Istaron
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by trux:
...and third all the NPC mages in the game are geared to become archmages - rarely do you find an archmage that has to rely on some little magically summoned creature to do his bidding for him.

Besides, like Milamber said in an above post, Familiars suck. They almost never come in handy, you have another practically helpless life to look after and they waste a slot in your inventory.

You wouldn't like to fill me in exactly what an archmage is

And familiars doesn't suck!
You get extra hit points, and from role-playing perspective, it is cool!
Though, if you are a Choatic Good character, it is just disgusting

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 08-16-2001, 07:18 PM   #14
trux

Quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
You wouldn't like to fill me in exactly what an archmage is
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. If you really don't know what an archmage is I'd be happy to give you some info on them, though.

Quote:

And familiars doesn't suck!
You get extra hit points, and from role-playing perspective, it is cool!
Though, if you are a Choatic Good character, it is just disgusting

You're right, the extra hit points are a definete bonus, especially for a mage.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-16-2001, 11:44 PM   #15
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by trux:
Thanks, that does clarify the question there. Now I know I'll never be able to cast one. Although I do not agree with your last statement. I mean, it is a game feature, those little creatures, so I'd like to fuly exploit that feature and I know fully well they are not that useful, but they do bring another facet to the game. I have no doubt I'll never see one since I don't ever intend to play a mage as my created caracter, I like their supporting role but I'm really a hack n' slash type. Yes, I know that I could push it down the slots and use others in front but still, everyone would regard me as a mage, not good for my image.. ehehe

Old 08-17-2001, 12:22 AM   #16
trux

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildhorse:
Thanks, that does clarify the question there. Now I know I'll never be able to cast one. Although I do not agree with your last statement. I mean, it is a game feature, those little creatures, so I'd like to fuly exploit that feature and I know fully well they are not that useful, but they do bring another facet to the game. I have no doubt I'll never see one since I don't ever intend to play a mage as my created caracter, I like their supporting role but I'm really a hack n' slash type. Yes, I know that I could push it down the slots and use others in front but still, everyone would regard me as a mage, not good for my image.. ehehe

Oh sure you should absolutely explore every option and facet of the game. I cast a Find Familiar the first time I played through SoA to see what it was like, and I think it says a lot that I've played a magic-user almost every time since and never cast it again.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux