Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2003, 02:43 PM   #1
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

It's plauged me for a while and I just want to know what everyone thinks. This will, im sure apply to most of the english, but i'm not sure how this works in other countries.
Up and down the country most teenagers are sucked into a group of people who become there friends, and these groups are all mainly divided on what people wear, and what music they enjoy. They come under different names, but everywhere, you'll get the "Moshers" and the "Townies". The former listening to heavy music and the latter listening to dance music etc. You get the other groups which branch off into extremes like the goths etc, but they're the main two.
Now I hate pigeon holing people, i really do, but I am just getting fed up of some people. Okay, here we go. I'm going to launch into a discriminative mood here. I can't stand MOST (not all) "townies". I'm sorry. I just can't. I'm not a "mosher". I dont listen to heavy metal in my room (as the stereotype goes). But whenever i see someone in tracksuit pants, socks tucked into their pants, baseball cap at 45 degrees, and label clothes, 9 times out of 10, they're a complete and utter arsehole. Me and my friend were jumped and beaten up by about 8 of them a while ago for just sitting in the wrong place at the wrong time. No reason at all. Because we wernt dressed the same asthem, we got beat up. Today i was in mcDonalds (I'm not a fan, i hate mcdonalds, yuck) and this little one goes "Oi, you, give us a burger now". And I just felt that this was the cheekiest thing.
Now I'm going to have to get snobby. They're a drain. They just hang around in groups of 20, on the street, throwing litter, attacking people and just making any passers by feel uncomfortable.
What I have noticed though, is 80% of the time, another factor of these groups is intelligence. The dumber you are, the more likely you are to go into a townie group. This is an advantage because in an argument with one just use a few big words and they're puzzled for the night.

I'll admit i'm being extremely sterotypical here, but i've looked at this for so long, I've had long enough to realise that 80% of them are just arses. Of course there are exceptions but hey. I'm sure any people of a simaler age will have views here...
Old 06-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #2
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Yep, hooray for townies!....times like these, it really becomes apparent that sarcasm is not internet friendly... *Cough*. Around here we have many names for 'em, none appropiate to family forums [img]tongue.gif[/img] . It seems for them the coolest thing to do it hurl abuse at people who listen to non-fake-urban bands-So Solid Crew or Blazin' Squad, for example-because they're "different". The boys are abusive, the girls snotty and hurtful. I love 'em, actually, I really do [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Their stupidity is a constant reminder that no matter how badly I do in the exams, I'll never be as hopeless as them.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:00 PM   #3
spydar

I'm from a small town so we're pretty much predominantly "townies" as you call them (I call them chotches). if I were to be shunted into a group it would probably be the heavy metal/punk one, though I don't really consider myself either (it all depends on my mood). but I know exactly what you're talking about. they all do seem to be arses and intellectually challenged, but I have a theory that this is due to their xenophobic nature, it pretty much demands that they be ignorant and close-minded. otherwise they may see that they aren't top-shit and that the freak over there they want to beat up may not, indeed, be so pathetic. it's all very primal and territorial, and all-together a waste of time cause if they actually got out of their little clique and went out into the world they would see how stupid they were being and may even *gasp* become a productive (or atleast useful) member of society.

but just an aside: I think that those chotches out there who dress in their track pants with their hats all cock-eyed are quite possibly the most visually entertaining people in the world.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:19 PM   #4
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Chotches? Thats a new one on me... A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. A Townie by any other name is just as much of a... well, you get my drift. Where you from spydar? I'm curious where that word comes from. My friends are all skaters. And though i cant skate, i hang around with them cause they're a laugh etc. When you see all the townies/chotches walkin down the street they never say a word!! Or they dont here. The only words they seem to utter are shouting at passers by and "Give me your wallet or i'll spark you out" [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2003, 03:34 PM   #5
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Yea, we have crap like that in my town to, but they don't have names like that. Normally it's devided into certain groups which are as follows: Jocks and Popular boys, losers(Me and my friends go here), outcasts, normal girls, popular and pretty girls. The jocks usually just hang around each other and talk about sports all day long. Some are actually nice, and some are cruel hateful bastards that just sit back and laugh when you fall. Losers, we basically are our own group. We tend to stay away from everyone but ourselves. We stick with each other and help each other out. Then the outcasts, they are sorta in the losers group, but they hardly hang with us. They sit back and hang around each other. They try to fit in as best they can, but it's hard for them. The normal girls just hang in a group and are generally nice. I'm friends with alot of them, mainly because they're in most of my classes. Then the popular girls, hanging which each other and their boy friends, i.e. anyone that's a jock. I tend to stay away from them... Social groups like this really tick me off. People should be treated fairly and the same, not just because they don't fit in. I have a friend with an away message on AIM that says "Some people think everyone should be treated the same, well I think that's bull crap because some people from our town are losers and really suck." Twas a nice little convo I had with him... BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Anyway, I wish I could be there with ya Binky, because people like that are my favorite to mouth off to. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 06-08-2003, 04:45 PM   #6
Epona
Zartan

Beaumanior, I know what you mean mate. I don't like pigeonholing people, BUT

Cos I'm a mod, the townies take the piss constantly. It's no fun being surrounded by a group of 10-20 teenagers jeering at you and spitting cos you dress different to them. I'm 32 ffs, why the hell should it matter to a bunch of 16 year olds how I dress? They gob on my scooter cos it's not a plastic zip50 (or whatever model of moped they prefer this week) - that I can cope with, but throwing paint on it and trying to prise the chrome racks off it is stepping over the line IMO.

I leave them be, I just wish they would extend me the same courtesy.

And I don't get the whole trackies tucked into their socks thing either.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:07 PM   #7
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Beaumanior, I know what you mean mate. I don't like pigeonholing people, BUT

Cos I'm a mod, the townies take the piss constantly. It's no fun being surrounded by a group of 10-20 teenagers jeering at you and spitting cos you dress different to them. I'm 32 ffs, why the hell should it matter to a bunch of 16 year olds how I dress? They gob on my scooter cos it's not a plastic zip50 (or whatever model of moped they prefer this week) - that I can cope with, but throwing paint on it and trying to prise the chrome racks off it is stepping over the line IMO.

I leave them be, I just wish they would extend me the same courtesy.

And I don't get the whole trackies tucked into their socks thing either.
Keeps there ankles warm I guess... I'm with you Epona, I really am against pigeon holing people, but Im just fed up of them. I remember a time me and 3 friends were walking down the street, and the biggest group of them i'd ever seen came down the street. Must of been 50. I didnt belive my eyes. It was like a parade. I've never seen that many in one place. So me and my friends subltey turned around and walked off. But in hiensight that wasnt clever cause it just provoked them. So one of them shouted: "Where the **** are you running ***** *******. Come here you soft *****" and we kinda just shouted back "How can you call us that, theres 50 of you and 4 of us". So he comes back with: "Well okay, four of us against four of you".... I mean come on! They're just looking for trouble. It pisses me off something royal....
Old 06-08-2003, 05:25 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

What's wrong with pigeon holing people who have already pigeon-holed themselves? Don't know about you, the description involving the dress is correct, but my definition of townie is almost synonymous with "dickhead". You can't describe townies without making loads of stereotypes which might offend other people but I think most English people know what you mean by townie. All the ones I know are complete dickheads (well unless they feel like they have to act nice to you or they think you are like them when they can be quite alright) and the ones I don't know LOOK like complete dickheads so that's enough to classify on

It's just the whole "we hang around in groups of 20 and look hard so don't mess with us" and the way they think they can start on you for looking at them etc. What was frustrating is that I went to a school full of townies and they always acted hard and I knew I could kick any of their asses one-on-one but if you fought one you fought the rest and if you still won, they came with knives, baseball bats etc. You can't win. GRRRR. People sensing some bottled up anger here?
It's like when there was 6 of them and 2 of us we had to take punches but when it was me on my own and I saw one of them walking in the street, they'd walk past head down, couldn't even look at me.

Best thing to do is avoid them if you can and if you can't then just act like a townie and they'll be nice to you.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:57 PM   #9
Zero Alpha

ive encountered all the stuff you have all talked about before. worst thing is someone who went to my school a few years above got beaten to death and thrown in the road infront of a car. why? becase he walked past them.

if i started a spay the townies campaign, would anyone join? [img]graemlins/2gunfire.gif[/img]

[ 06-08-2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Zero Alpha ]
Old 06-08-2003, 06:05 PM   #10
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Keeps there ankles warm I guess...
I've just had it explained to me Beau - they tuck their trackies into their socks so that people can see which brand their expensive trainers are *snigger*