Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

Okay. So now I want to format my computer. Completely. There's only one slight problem; I know how to format my computer ("format C:" in DOS-mode) but I am on a WinXP system. I only managed to access the MS-DOS prompt there, and I cannot format C: 'because the drive is in use right now'. AARGH!!
Reboot disks don't work either, because my stupid comp doesn't seem to know that there is actually more than one drive (the 3 1/2 inch disk drive) in my device. So no C:, or D: or E: or F:.. It drives you mad, I can assure you.

So how do I get my computer to format itself? Please help! I'm standing on the edge of a nervous breakdown!! [img]graemlins/scream.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 03-03-2003, 04:54 PM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I thought you could boot directly from an XP CD and do a format and install directly from there. If not, the alternative would to get hold of a bootable floppy and get your machine to load the CD-Rom drivers off it then load the OS off a CD. You may need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS to achieve either of these options though.

Or then again, I could be completely wrong

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 03-03-2003, 04:54 PM   #3
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Erm...in My Computer, can't you just right click on your hard drive and click Format? If that doesn't work I don't know why they put that option there,'cos my other pc is XP and if you right click on a hard drive in My Computer there is format listed as an option. I've obviously not tried it myself, since I don't need to format my PC.
Hope that helped!
Old 03-03-2003, 04:54 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

This is because MSDOS cant see a NTFS partition.

Try format c: just in case, dos knows there is a partition there, it just cant access it.

Otherwise, use FDISK, delete and recreate the partition. DOS can definately format an empty partition.

Of course, if your planning to reinstall XP (Or in fact any sophisticated operating system (anything other than windows 9x basicaly) you can partition and format the drive during the installation procedure.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:04 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
And if all that doesn't help, use a hammer. LoA knows which hammers are the best in cases like this.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:07 PM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
This is because MSDOS cant see a NTFS partition.

Try format c: just in case, dos knows there is a partition there, it just cant access it.

Otherwise, use FDISK, delete and recreate the partition. DOS can definately format an empty partition.

Of course, if your planning to reinstall XP (Or in fact any sophisticated operating system (anything other than windows 9x basicaly) you can partition and format the drive during the installation procedure.
Well, the problem is either that I can't format while windows is still running (in the commmand prompt) or that it doesn't acknowledge the fact that there ARE drives out there. If I type "format C:" anyway it says "Bad command", ergo; that doesn't work.

How do I use this FDISK then? And what do you mean by "partition and format the drive during installation procedure"? Is it the same as Mouse is saying??

Mouse: so far I've only been able to install Windows XP on my other drive. If I order it to be installed on the same drive as it was, it says that the old mechanism (being the old XP) will not work anymore. Not a problem, you might say, but I don't know that much of computers that I will do something like that immediately.

BTW: I've got three partitions of my hard disk; C,D and E. If I format C, everything on D and E will still be kept safe, right?

Old 03-03-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, have you tried to press F8 during start up and then choose start from CD, and then choose the reinstall or install?

Other wise try to stop the boot up, ru FDISC and clear the psrtions completely and run the setup.exe

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 03-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

OK, so your isntalling XP afterwards. No point in arsing around with fdisk then, is very easy to kill things you didnt mean to with it.

Install XP by booting from the CD, and install on C: drive. Say you want to do a full install (not an upgrade). Youll get to a screen where you can alter partitions. Format the C: partition. Youll get warnings, but ignore them. M$ are overcautious.

EDIT - to boot from CD, enter BIOS (usualy press delete during startup, but this may vary) and find the setting "boot sequence". Change it to something like "CDROM, C, A". The save, and restart. Change it back when your finished installing, since it slows down your bootup on some systems.

[ 03-03-2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 03-03-2003, 05:24 PM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

Thanks andrewas! But how can I format my other drives then? In the way slicer15 was telling me? Or is something else required to do so?

Old 03-03-2003, 05:33 PM   #10
andrewas
Harper

I thought you wanted to keep D and E intact?

You should be able to do it in the installation program at the same time as you do C, but I would leave it till after you have XP running on C. That way you can copy any files you want to keep. Slicer15s method will work, since XP dosent run on those drives.