Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2001, 07:46 PM   #1
willow2

OK - I've screwed up. I've entered a room in the Nalia's keep and upset some Golems. (Didn't read the hints first)

I've got 2 crushing weapons which I've given to my strongest 2 team members (I thought blunt weapons would work) but these are not effective against the iron golem though. Can't sneak in now because he is "red" what weapon will take him out.

------------------
Regret nothing.

Old 08-16-2001, 08:00 PM   #2
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

At that point in the game, I had decided that, a very fast "in-and-out" tactic was better suited against those 4 or 5 way too strong Golems in that dark temple inside the donjon. The bottom ones were easy since the biggest golem was blocking the smallest ones and I could just wack at it with Valygar. Another thing, Fire elementals are the biggest enemies of golems, they are just way powerful against golems. If you really want to kill them, you'll have to take them at maximum 2 at a time, I'd suggest closing door real fast behind you as you steal the 3 or 4 artifacts in the walls. Do remember to check all those walls, if you make the mistake of not doing so, you'll lose the artifact if you liberate the Castle if you triggered the guarding golems.
I do know that I was able to wack a few of them but a few were just too tough. Patience would dictacte that you can kill them all even that early into the game with the strongest weapons you have.
Old 08-16-2001, 08:03 PM   #3
trux

Also, in Nalia's castle the largest golem (adamantite, I believe,) will not be able to fit through the doorway, but will continue trying. This can give you a strategical upper hand.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-16-2001, 08:10 PM   #4
oldbittercraig
Elminster

instead of grabbing the items and activating the golems, just go in and pick on the golems one at a time... hit one while it's docile, hopefully killing it before it reacts, and move on to the next.
Old 08-16-2001, 08:10 PM   #5
willow2

Thanks guys. I'll toddle off now and have another shot at it before I go to bed.

------------------
Regret nothing.

Old 08-16-2001, 08:15 PM   #6
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by oldbittercraig:
instead of grabbing the items and activating the golems, just go in and pick on the golems one at a time... hit one while it's docile, hopefully killing it before it reacts, and move on to the next.
Not sure if I remember this, being far back, but wasn't fighting one waking all the others? At least, that always what happens whenever I enter a golem room, if I wake one up, all the rest come charging at me. And for third reply, I believe he is talking about the upper level golems and not the bottom level golems (the ones I hinted about).
Old 08-16-2001, 09:15 PM   #7
Tananda
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildhorse:
Not sure if I remember this, being far back, but wasn't fighting one waking all the others? At least, that always what happens whenever I enter a golem room, if I wake one up, all the rest come charging at me. And for third reply, I believe he is talking about the upper level golems and not the bottom level golems (the ones I hinted about).
No, fighting one won't wake up the others . I do not know why golems were after you if you fought only one of them at a time... May be you just seemed suspicious to them .

------------------
Tanda,
with best regards from Guild of Assassins
Old 08-16-2001, 11:28 PM   #8
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Tananda:
No, fighting one won't wake up the others . I do not know why golems were after you if you fought only one of them at a time... May be you just seemed suspicious to them .
- Warning *Strong* spoiler in text below warning -

Careful, by those words I meant only from any chapters on, I cannot attest to that specific issue since I decided to take the darn stuff and run like hell (and hell isn't the right word here since those buggers are faster than hell when they know you dirty hand is inside those coffers) and hack them one by one.

All I know, is, that in every other moments where I have find myself in a Golem "room", anytime I'd hit one golem all the others wake up and this is logical of course. If only you that the Drow city and the temple where the eggs are stored in the room, you dare hit one of those golems and you'll have the lots up your hairy nose in a second. This is just one example of many others.

I got so tired of golems that I started automated casting of fire elementals whenever I'd see one and this got me in serious trouble in the Sphere when I killed the golems I was suppose to put the daemon heart in. I say serious, not really, I managed to place it in the machine itself and thank god the game had this possibility stored because (I have 450 saves for this game alone, with a 10 saves slot cycle) I had no save windows to before the incident. Don't remember the exact text, but it said something like "At the default of finding a simpler (or better) solution..." after placing the heart inside the machine. Anyway, I should have known it because the blue golems were just not moving to attack me which I was finding very odd for those nasties.

I must admit I kind of like those golems, I truly hated the Evil Eyes monster till I got the reflective spell shield and I'd just stand in front of them and wait while I eat a donut as they killed themselves. What made me even more happy was when I'd get Valygar just behind one in hidding and he'd hit one by surprise and the lil bugger would turn yellow so frighten by the surprise attack and (well.. not run like hell) float like hell away from me :]

[This message has been edited by Wildhorse (edited 08-16-2001).]
Old 08-17-2001, 07:42 AM   #9
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

In the Keep, each time you take an object, two golems attack, so take them out two at a time. The big Golem looks like an adamanite golem, but is in fact only Iron. Howevever, at this stage in the game, there quite evil. Your best bet if you've activated the golems is invisilbilty/ haste /summon critter, and sprint in to get the items inside.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:38 AM   #10
uhulio
Elite Waterdeep Guard

On a lark, I cast Sanctuary and walked my priest in and yoinked all I could carry and walked out with the golems just dumbstruck.