Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2004, 07:13 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Great game. I rented it a few days ago, and it is really addictive. Sure, the gameplay isn't all it should have been (not interactive enough - and no dialogue options) but it is still a great experience. If you're a Star Trek fan. Game is for sale for 24.99 and will run an Pentium II 300. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I'm a Star Trek megafan, and I'm just getting ready to get that one. THX for reminding me.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Good choice [img]smile.gif[/img] It's the only recent Star Trek game (besides Elite Force) that got reasonable reviews. I have to warn you, though. The game is pretty combat oriented. Also, although the character models look pretty good (with the exception of your 'number one',captain Piccard and a few others) the lip synching is absolutely horrible. Be sure to look away when someone is talking to you
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Tancred
White Dragon

It *is* rather good; it works very hard in capturing the proper 'feel' of a starship, and the combat sequences are very much how Star Trek mass-ship combat should really be. Plus, they manage to squeeze Klingons, Romulans AND Cardassians into it, so that's all good fun.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:19 PM   #5
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

This game frustrated me... The dumb first officer kept telling me what to do right before I would do it myself. Made me feel like she was the captain. I would have preferred solving problems on my own. And then in combat, the only active part I really played was telling the weapon's officer which ship to target and then changing camera angles to watch.
Don't get me wrong-- I did like it-- but I would have prefered being more in control.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
aranbas
----------
This game frustrated me... The dumb first officer kept telling me what to do right before I would do it myself. Made me feel like she was the captain. I would have preferred solving problems on my own. And then in combat, the only active part I really played was telling the weapon's officer which ship to target and then changing camera angles to watch.
Don't get me wrong-- I did like it-- but I would have prefered being more in control.
loved the game and finished it already. it was really great and loved how you are able to do these kind of stuff in the bridge. also it is really tricky on some parts but mostly its ok. in the fighting part, you can actually take the control of you weapons officer and blast whoever you want using your mouse. its great since the ai of the weapons officer isnt as good as yours.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:51 PM   #7
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

True enough, you can fight manually. I never really bothered. Still, the thing that bothered me most was the first officer. A typical mission went like this:
Me (thinking):What should I do. Maybe I'll scan the--
1st off: Why don't you scan the ship?
Science off: They have the kidnap victim sir!
Me: Hmm... Ok, then beam--
1st officer: Why don't you beam him off the ship?
(beam him off)
Me:Ok, let's warp--
1st off: Let's warp out of here!
Weapon's Off: Sir, the enemy is following and moving to attack!
Me: Bring us around and--
1st off: Lets turn and attack!

It drove me nuts. It must have been called Bridge Commander since you are actually just a commander, not a captain. What's-her-name is the real captain.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:04 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

.. maybe there should be a option to shut the 1rst officer's mouth on the difficulty level.

me thinks that the programers did that so the clueless wont be too clueless heh.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote