Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 01-11-2003, 03:06 PM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

what spells that are not included in frua, are people interested in seeing in dc?

cocoaspud has already added a couple...

[img]graemlins/mage1.gif[/img]

-manikus
Old 01-11-2003, 07:31 PM   #2
Steve McDonald
The Magister

I think it would be cool if we could use special abilities like dragon breath. This could be like casting a spell. That would mean you could have dragon NPCS who could join the party and use their special abilities, or even dragon PCs.

There never seems much variety in second level magic-user spells in the gold box games. A few more would be good. Also 6th level cleric spells and 8th and 9th level m-u spells.

Of the new spells, I think the only one not included in FRUA was Monster Poison, and I take it that is generally unavailable except to monsters with the special ability "deadly poison" or similar. I like the way the poison spell works (not instant death but loss of hitpoints per round) better than the Gold Box games.
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:09 PM   #3
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Steve said: "Of the new spells, I think the only one not included in FRUA was Monster Poison, and I take it that is generally unavailable except to monsters with the special ability "deadly poison" or similar. I like the way the poison spell works (not instant death but loss of hitpoints per round) better than the Gold Box games."

In the infinite wisdom that TSR had (thats right had, as in used to have, as in past tense, as in before rehashing the ENTIRE system for a third edition...) They had different types of poison, ones that killed, ones that only inflicted a set amount of damage, ones that caused weakness, loss of hp, ect. I think that the idea of losing HP per round until dead or cured is another option, which to me more options means better game and better designs possible.

As for the original post question, what spells should be included, well the one that was included in FRUA but didn't work would pose one of the best choices, the summon (or gate in ally) monster would be my choice.

certain spells will prove to be difficult or even impossible to use (examples would be like certain illusion spells, or wish), while other "spell-effects" will have to be created to use certain monsters and/or items (example for both would be "displacer-beast" effect). Eventually there may even be a massive spell-base and even groups who argue over "more spells than sane, the better" versus "purists" who use DnD spells only. Just because this is an ADnD game doesn't mean people won't pull spell ideas from other games and even other themed games (Star Wars, anyone?). So, with this in mind, Cocoaspud might even feel the need (if he hasn't already) to enter a design lock (like FRUA) that would keep someone from entering the design stage and entering their own spells database.

I have one question for the almighty 'spud, while I'm babbling about this, is it possible to create a field in the monster stats that would allow a custom label for designing a spell that targets this said creature. For example, a "spell-effect" known as Turn Undead would target the monsters that have the undead flag set. This way you wouldn't have to code in "True giant" or "mammal" or "snake" or if you make the famous dragonlance, or a silver weapon damages lycanthropes, ect, ect. The design designer would be able to set a flag that would enable special effects without you (the game programmer) coding EVERY type of effect

The rambling of...

SilenThief
Old 01-11-2003, 10:28 PM   #4
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
oh yeah, I forgot something (other than the second "t" in my name) Steve also mentioned the dragon breath effect for dragon NPC's and maybe even PCs. there was a trick for enabling spell effect attacks with your players in FRUA that enabled you to get troll healing or dragon breath or even Iron golem MR (immunity to every spell but lightning, which slows you...) the problem with this trick is you as an active player couldn't use any special attacks (like beholder gaze or dragon breath) because there simply was no command to do so. You could use the "quick" command to enable the computer to control your character and the computer might use it (same chances as a monster from using it), but you did not have active control. There might have to be some way of using this special ability made so that a designer could allow this. Even ideas such as a kender "taunting" or a paladins dispel magic with holy sword might have to fall into this area, unless you treat it like a spell that you have to "memorize" (who honestly memorizes taunts...(ok, I admit I remember a few REALLY good yo' mama jokes...)). This would be for a character who has the ability at any time instead of like reading a scroll and either using its effect or wasting it, another example would be a potion of dragon breath, where if you don't choose to belch out a flame after (guessing at it for example) 6 rounds, then you sustain damage from the volatile potion.

More ramblings from SilentThief
Old 01-12-2003, 01:07 AM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

as to spells implemented, turns out that i didn't realize that enlarge and reduce were actually available in frua.

i agree about the need for more second level magic user spells. i've always thought that the available spells should be like a triangle with first level being the base...etc. with the fewest spells at the highest levels.

i also like the notion of being able to 'lock' a design when i put it up for others to play, though more than a few times playing frua, i've had to edit someone's design to make it playable.

as for the database actually being so large as to need being locked, i think that someone trying to use them all in thier design is highly unlikely.

[img]graemlins/mage1.gif[/img]

-manikus