Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2002, 04:46 AM   #1
peipei_lin
The Magister

[Just an intro: Great to be back on the forum. Haven't check it for a LONG time...feels good to see this brown screen again ]

I bought NWN few weeks ago, playing it VERY hard. But I don't use walkthroughs and cheats so I doubt I must have missed something in the plot. So let me ask some questions to you pros out there. (Its quite long, plz have patient to read them all~ thankyou.) (wanted to type something tonight, my hand is too exciting...lol)

1.) Most important:
When I first went into the Blade Inn (or something) and looking for mercs, I spotted the beautiful young bard Sharwyn, I admirred her ability in thieving, fighting and casting, and of-course her beauty...I hired her.
I must say, she is an AVERAGE character, helping my sorceror only meant save/load the crap out me~~~ but I still keep her...her story is just too enchating.(maybe my next chr as a figher may wanna get that gnome magician and hear his story out, and see how good bioware can make up stories...) I don't have the patience to play her mysterious mission in CH1, so I abandoned it. In Ch2, I wanted to play, but I can't level up in the last moment!! 400xp away...shoot!! So I have no choice but to enter the second-half of ch2.

Just wanna ask, for how long exactly you have to travel with her, and at what level? At that time I was lv12, don't know about long enough or what...

2.)
There is a few funny items I found for example, adamantite, holy water, rainbow berry(?)...and stuff, what are they for anywayz? It says in the save-tip that adamnatite and other items can be forged. HOW?

3.) Just curious...
At the character creation, there is a section where you make-up a god for your character, is there any point in this? I am in Luskan now, and I never encountered any mission, or conversation linked towards it...

AND MY OPINION~
NWN is such a magical game, its gameplay system astouned me, SFX of magic just made me keep fighting and fighting to gain xp and levelup to get the next magic. The fight scene is also beyond my imagination, dodging, slashing, changing weapons, changing position of stance...etc all being so real, unlike BG or D2 where it is simple slashing-wait-slashing-wait-click/potion-wait-slashing...I also found out when talking to voice-characters (eg. Aribeth, Aerin Gend etc.) they move their body, giving body-language along with voices. And another interesting = when placing cursor on items or character near yourself, you actually LOOK at it. Come to think of it, it is so romantic when I stand beside Aribeth, she looks up at me, I looked down on her...(hehe). In general, it is wonderful, simply WONDERFUL...
But it does have its cons, for example lock-picking takes so long, not enough range of gems, similar stories (based in a town/city, go off to outer areas, find stuff, come back to base, go out again...etc) at least it is what I feel until now (Luskan). Also, another down-point, don't know if anyone found out, the magic scrolls are so hard to identify on first glance. Unlike in BG where you can say its name out immediately when you see it juding from unique pattern and colour. Lastly, side-missions are not as exciting as the ones in BGII, they are totally incomparable...-_-
All and all, NWN is a worthy game to play, I am playing single now, I already feel tempted by it. I am sure multiplayer will be as exciting as it is in single. (have to wait till ADSL for me... ) I would definitely play it over and over again, just like BG and BGII.

[ 10-27-2002, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: peipei_lin ]
Never will the reality be more grander then dreams...<br />Thats why many people fail. Then again, to those who succeed, they must had dreamed as well...<br />The world is of 2 equal planes, the one we are in, is the one of opposite that is opposite to our plane. It is seemingly difficult to understand, buy would anyone notice? <br /><br />---so sayeth the God of Wisdom<br /> Windspear
peipei_lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 09:53 AM   #2
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Number 1: All of the NPC's have their own story. Some are funny and others are enchanting. They will only tell you so much of their story at a time, as you have found out. Their tales are completed about the time you are in the last chapter. You should try to pick an NPC based on what you need. If you have a Wizard you should probably get a Fighter or Barbarian. If you are a Fighter a Cleric, Rogue or Bard would be nice. Personally I really enjoyed Linu's tale.

Number 2: In chapter One you should go to the "Shining Knight Arms and Armor" store. If you speak to the Half-Orc in the front and follow the "Premium equipment" line of inquiry you will recieve the wardstone that allows you to go to the back of the shop and go downstairs to meet Marrok the dwarven smith. He can forge items for you. Farther on you will find another forge in chapter 3 I believe.

Number 3: None. It's just dressing for your character.

Note:
You should check out some of the user created mods. They are a blast.
Neverwinter Vault has tons of them. They can add alot of flavor to the game.
Personally the Penultima series is a hoot. There are a number of the PnP D&D modules that have been converted to the NWN game as well. Take a look it is well worth the time.
http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote