Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2003, 09:34 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I thought it would be cool to try a new hobby at game mapping via software. I was wondering if anyone here does this and what programs you would recommend? I am not looking for the high priced ones because I don't want to waste money on something I may not like. There are some freeware programs that come highly recommended and I downloaded one. The problem is that I am a complete novice and there was no tutoral to go with it and thus I had not the slighest idea where to even begin. So, can you also recommend some instructional items that can get me started? Thanks.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:59 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Which game are you making maps for? Most games have their own editors, so its impossible to give much help without knowing more.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:09 AM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I want to make maps for Pencil&Paper games using software. Like I said in my first post I downloaded one but I don't even know where to begin on how to use it. Thus my inquiry if anyone out there could recommend resources that could tutor me on how to utilize game mapping tools. It definily looks fun.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
I want to make maps for Pencil&Paper games using software. Like I said in my first post I downloaded one but I don't even know where to begin on how to use it. Thus my inquiry if anyone out there could recommend resources that could tutor me on how to utilize game mapping tools. It definily looks fun.
Dungeon Crafter is ok and easy to use. I await DC2 sometime in the near future.

http://www.dungeoncrafter.com/

I use photoshop to edit and merge my DC maps as well as make custom tiles. Check around the DC website for links to tutorials.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:00 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Thanks for the reply, Chewbacca. I downloaded a freeware program entitled Izandowa 0.30 and it came recommended by many online along with AutoREALM and Dungeon Crafter. But like I said I haven't the slighest idea what I am looking at or even know what to do. Izandowa will load on the screen and I have before me all the tools, etc. without nary an idea what does what. Plus, it has no tutorials. So I 'll go to dungeon crafter and do what you suggest about using the links mode.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:11 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
Thanks for the reply, Chewbacca. I downloaded a freeware program entitled Izandowa 0.30 and it came recommended by many online along with AutoREALM and Dungeon Crafter. But like I said I haven't the slighest idea what I am looking at or even know what to do. Izandowa will load on the screen and I have before me all the tools, etc. without nary an idea what does what. Plus, it has no tutorials. So I 'll go to dungeon crafter and do what you suggest about using the links mode.
Your welcome! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I don't like AutoRealm or IZ dungeon because they both have confusing, inflexible interfaces and make poor looking maps IMHO. Plus they are old and unsuported AFAIK.

With DC I can at least customize maps and tiles with Photoshop. I use the layers function in photoshop to create overlays for the DM eyes only for example. And it is still supported with an active community and a sequal on the way.

If you can find the old 2nd edition core rules software it has two map makers, one is called map maker and the other is campiagn maker. These are ok, but the map maker is the easier to use of the two.

BTW: here is the DC tutorial page I was refering too, I hope it helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.geocities.com/blood_tyger/guide/guide.html

[ 06-24-2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 06-25-2003, 09:59 AM   #7
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Well, Chewbacca, I went ahead and I downloaded Dungeon Crafter and I couldn't believe I was actually able to point and click images on the screen area. I have a long way to go but at least this gives me hope! I'll be uninstalling Izandowa. What other program for beginners do you recommend to add color, etc., to your maps? Keep in mind, you are explaining this to a high functioning moron when it comes to map making,coloring. Is there more to DC than the basic tilesets? I guess I still have to experiment. Again, thanks for all your help.

By the way, I love Boston. I attended a small college in Quincy for four years and I went to Boston every chance I could. It is the only place I know that I truly enjoyed winter.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:13 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

Whoops sorry for the "late" reply. I have been running around showing off Boston with my Brother who is visiting here for the first time so I have had little time for online. I finally saw a Red Sox game at Fenway and then drank beer at Cheers. That was fun!!!!

I love Boston too! Did you ever eat at Tulios in North Quincy? That is my favorite italian eaterie in the area. They have this squash ravioli that is terrific!

anyway back on topic....
Be sure to check-out the custom tiles available for download at the DC site. Tyger's site I linked above has a tutorial on making your own custom tiles out of bitmaps or JPEGS and includes a neat trick to with windows explorer to browse custom tile collections as the program itself only lets you see the one custom tile you have selected. Adding custom tiles is actually quite easy.

DC is a pretty basic program, I would just fiddle around with it and have fun!
If you have any specific questions let me know...I'm happy to help! [img]smile.gif[/img]