Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2002, 08:07 PM   #1
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Well I just got the Beta version of UT2003 to test it out, and I must say that this is going to be THE First Person shooter to end them all. I've noticed that many people seem to find the new Doom to be more attractive, and Halo had a great plot to it, but in Comparison this game has what I haven't seen in a First Person Shooter since 1994! Support For 56K modems that actually lets the flying bullits and missiles sync with the action already on the screen There was a bit of lag walking around but nothing was stopping me from getting atop the first tower and ripping some people a new one with my shock sniper rifle. I just came back from my first Online Multiplayer CTF game using my local connection and my NVidia Graphics card, the physics were AMAZING, even more amazing in low gravity, when someone got shot, belive me, it looked like it. Their arms flailed back and bodies are able to fall every-which-way, blood and gibs flow more realistically and the flames and sparks only add onto the games already presnet eye-candy delights. The Outdoor levels are very impressive, I haven't been as pulled in to a game since... well... 16 player Halo... Or A PC Game: Unreal Tourney I also tried out the bots, and found them to be HIGHLY inteligent in comparison, I saw some Cooperation and they would NOT let me get the flag [img]tongue.gif[/img] The new bombing raid game was reminiscant of the "Basket Bomber" and "Strange Love" Mods except you were more like strapped to the nuclear bomb rather than riding around on it like an idiot [img]tongue.gif[/img] Either way... "WEEEEEHOOOOO!!!" Great game... Some of the weapons bring back old memories while others seem to have some strange modifications...

Let me write it all out for ya in a chart:

Sniper rifle - Shock Rifle that zoom and shoots lightning bolts that do the same ammount of damage no matter where you hit them
Flak Cannon - Same as always Smiley Faces and all
Rocket Launcher - No longer shoots bouncing Grenades It also has had the rockets do more damage, BUT it only shoots 3 at a time instead of 6... A real downer IMHO... I expected the rocket launcher to be better than that... It's now more like the quake 3 rocket launcher
Bio Rifle - Good as ever with even more nasty look Gell stuff with flubber-like bounce to it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Plasma Rifle - Ok this is one that's confusing me, I realize that the plasma bolts are now ALOT thicker to hit their now much thicker targets, But I can't understand WHY on EARTH they would call it a "Link Gun" I saw a fairly impressive feat during an online CTF game, in it 3 people with link guns fired at eachother with the tracer beams and locked on, but they were on the same team, THEN the guy on the end fired the beam and it was like an INSTA GIB rifle! A combination of the three, unfortnutley Snipers picked them off quite easily... So the concept was good but I woulnd't call it usefull, taking 3 team members and 3 of the same gun who are all willing to shoot eachother to kill someone else [img]tongue.gif[/img]
WHERE on EARTH was the Chainsaw? And The Razor Blade shooter wasnt there either! I miss those bouncing little razor blades!
The Twin Pistols arent there either T_T which REALLY makes me sad, no more innacurate gangsta' style shooting instead they've got this single rifle thing, but it does shoot the grenades that the rocket launcher doesnt [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Minigun - Hasn't changed a bit, though the instant-reactions I got with online play were quite nice! I think I killed the flag carrier 30 times! now if only I could walk over and pick up the flag without being warped back to the bridge i'd been standing on earlier [img]tongue.gif[/img]
The redeemer, I couldn't get my hands on this sucker, because it seemed to hard to find... But I did notice a LARGE beam rip through the sky, making the clouds above part like holy light shooting from the sky, it struck a group of 3 and turned them into Skeletons before my very eyes, I think that was the redeemer in action [img]tongue.gif[/img] and if It wasn't then i'm clueless!

The sound effects seem to have been improved, the voice acting was kind of botchy at some poitns it was good others it was bad, I also wasn't able to customize my face!!! What's up with taht! I can't customize my character down to his outfit like I was able to unreal tourney! Now it's just pick a body type and a head that comes with it... Though there are many body types of the same type with differint heads, it just feels differint... Differinciating Team mates with their head lights was fairly usefull [img]tongue.gif[/img] And these huge suits of armor look like we're ready for world war 3...

All-in-all, if you've got the processor to handel it, Unreal Tourney 2003 Is an awesome experience for anyone, even if you haven't played UT in the past but played quake, this game is honestly good. Even if the last FPS you played was freakin' Bond, You might take a while to understand the weapon system but it's quite good! Best FPS Graphics I've seen for a multiplayer game Some guns could use major improvements to them, Im certain that there WILL be mods... like 8 BALL FIX and stuff [img]tongue.gif[/img] Either way, it's a good game, and because it's modifiable, it's even better Keeps up with the spirit of Unreal Tourney for a whole new generation of Graphics Accelerators! I also am looking forward to the next UNREAL, which sounds like it will be awesome too ^_^'

Now if only they could make Real life sports more like this...

"BOOM!"
Old 09-20-2002, 08:50 PM   #2
Moni

Oh Mah Goodness.
I hope KHaN don't get word of this too awfully soon LOL, I'll never get any sleep! As it is, every night my bedtime ritual has to include "Could you turn that down please?" Its been going on for...years? lol.

Are you in a clan? VT Kicks butt!

Old 09-20-2002, 09:00 PM   #3
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

I am definitly gonna have to buy that game!!
Old 09-20-2002, 09:19 PM   #4
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Are you in a clan? VT Kicks butt![/QUOTE]

O_o I was in he first clan... In like... '92... With like... Pathways Into Darknes... We were "The Camper Killers" And then Had them in Myth The Fallen Lords... and well it spread from there... Still am A +CK- btw [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2002, 09:31 PM   #5
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

The game sounds like an advanced Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, and Soul Wreaver combo! Have fun /)eath! (I loved the rail gun myself )
Old 09-20-2002, 09:58 PM   #6
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

I've DLed the movie and the subsequent patch. Pretty good, the pace of the deathmatch was pretty fast. Very entertaining.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:11 PM   #7
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
O_o I was in he first clan... In like... '92... With like... Pathways Into Darknes... We were "The Camper Killers" And then Had them in Myth The Fallen Lords... and well it spread from there... Still am A +CK- btw [img]tongue.gif[/img]
LOL! I remember when KHaN forst started playing (just a few years ago), he ALWAYS camped!!! Now he hates campers LOL! He says Unreal 2003 doesn't run right on Windows XP and that he won't play anymore if his ping has to be 500+ on a 56K modem....do you have any advice for him (cringing while I ask lol).
He says A +Ck isn't familiar, but from what I've heard, there are so many servers to play on that you'll never cross EVERYONE'S path. (I dunno! lol)
I know he's good...he says his clan is missing him tonight LOL but I know he was playing when I went to bed last night.

[ 09-20-2002, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 09-20-2002, 10:24 PM   #8
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I'm using windows XP and it's working great! Tell him that maybe it's his computer [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Either way I JUST TRIED THE BALL GAME!

WOW! I am no longer a CTF Fan! This is like 1 way CTF, more like steal the bacon! its awesom! I also learned tthat the movement abilities ahve been increased! instead of having to rocket jump you can jump and then JUMP AGAIN while in mid air! also thees an entirley new element to the game called "Adrenaline" collecting adrenaline is like having your own CUSTOME MADE power up! It's awesome! you can Become invisible, Go into a berserk mode wher eyou fire your weapons ultra fast and do mega damage, AND you can also increase your speed greatly, which works wonders in these games. In Low-gravity, double jumping is even BETTER! it's more like Tribes Rocket jumping around [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As of yet I haven't found the Redeemer yet, other people obviously have Demo versions, any Ideas as to a level where the redeemer is at? I want to try it out!

As for CK we never really got together in First Person shooter games, we stuck to Starcraft and Myth II/ The Fallen Lords... It all sort of broke up after bungie.net went down a year ago Anyway, Yeah We played WOLF and Clan Plaid, from what I can tell WOLF still exists out there, playing NWN and all sorts of things O_o I guess with a name like WOLF how can you be forgotten? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Then again there could just be MULTIPLE Wolf Packs as they like to all be called

*WP* and what-not [img]tongue.gif[/img] I know he's heard about Wolf Pack somewhere, because they stared in Myth TFL too and they were BIIIG

Either way... WOOHOO! sorry i'm getting caught up in the moment..

My Advice to someone on a 56 K such as myself is, Dont be the camper but dont let the campers get to you ether, Use dodging like going back and forth for movement and only hit targets that have been sitting still for 3 seconds or more, and if you're heading straight into someone feel free to let them have it, Large explosives like missiles tend to work better than pin-point precision weapons So forget the shock gun and camping up there sniping, switch to your rocket launcher and let 'em have it! Also: Play CTF and that ball game is SWEET! they're kewler than old fasioned Death match anyway! i've had my fill of death match back in the day playing Marathon and Pathways into Darkness [img]tongue.gif[/img] I'm sure someone's gotten sick of it after too many games of doom ^_^; Either way, if you're not into playing online just yet and would rather wait to get DSL or something, why not practice on bots? It improves your skills and works WAY better than online play ever could [img]tongue.gif[/img] So there's all the advice I have, hope it's helpfull...
Old 09-20-2002, 10:40 PM   #9
Moni

*sending him this thread*
Thank You!

Old 09-20-2002, 10:55 PM   #10
Thoran
Galvatron

Personally I always preferred UT to Q3, but DoomIII looks like it's a revolutionary engine... that kind of jump is tough to compete against. I'm pretty burnt out on deathmatching, so I'm more interested in an awesome single player campaign these days. Right now it's Mafia... kick a$$ game, somewhere between a godfather movie, a racing game, and a good quality fps.