Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2002, 12:31 PM   #11
andrewas
Harper

I havent read every bit of every post in detail, but heres what id do.

Report the guy that gave you the illegal copy to his boss - that way you dont have to build a professional relationship with him. Actualy I proably woudnt do that, but the options always there.

Then, open up your case and ensure everything is set up as follows. This is the optimal arrangement for 2 HDDs, a CD_RW and a CD_ROM, assuming IDE drives throughout. And yes I am aware that old IDE controllers were limited to the speed of the slowest device, but thats not true of current designs. Also jumper settings vary between makes (and even models) so check out the labels on the drives.

Boot drive, master of IDE channel 0. Programmes and OS go on here.

Second drive, master of IDE channel 1. More programmes and any files you want to burn to CD-R go on here.

CD_ROM, secondary of IDE channel 1.

CD_RW, seconday of IDE channel 0.

Once thats all wired up, tidy all the cables up a bit and put the case back on. I woudnt bother screwing it back on just yet though.

Power up (I traditionaly now open the case and replace the power cable that I have to take out to get at the IDE connectors, your milage may vary_

Now, with luck youll boot from your old drive and can format the new one in the standard fashion.

Possibly youll need to boot from your XP cd and repair your install. Also quite possibly youll have to repartition and reformat your second drive since if hes got an E: drive then there are at least two partitions on there. WHich makes no sense under FAT32, let alone NTFS.

Incidently deciding to change the boot sequence like this is the kind of crap I would expect from a PC-world tech, not a competent tech. And personaly I dont let *anyone* inside my case. Ever. Not even if they are better than me.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:35 PM   #12
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by FelixJaeger:
I was thinking that... if my old hard drive hadnt been totally cocked up i would have had a master of 35 GB and a slave of 35 Gb but all its files were mashed up and stuff.... bad clusters or summit,
Felix
p.s. ne1 know where to get something to get rid of a stpid msn virus... i .e. locate and remove?
cheers
You might be able to reformat it if its just file-system damage. Dont thorw it out just because scandisk says its knacked. And if it is knacked, its probly still under warranty so you can send it back and get it replaced with an equivalent model - at a minimum. I got one 50% larger than the one I sent in.

ON the MSN virus, go to http://vil.nai.com/vil/default.asp and look it up, thatll tell you the best way to remove it.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:39 PM   #13
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

ack andrewas, we were going to but over 3/4 of the clusters were knacked...and the guy who came to put the new hard drive in said it couldnt be fixed....
Felix
Old 09-19-2002, 12:51 PM   #14
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
I havent read every bit of every post in detail, but heres what id do.

Report the guy that gave you the illegal copy to his boss - that way you dont have to build a professional relationship with him. Actualy I proably woudnt do that, but the options always there.

Then, open up your case and ensure everything is set up as follows. This is the optimal arrangement for 2 HDDs, a CD_RW and a CD_ROM, assuming IDE drives throughout. And yes I am aware that old IDE controllers were limited to the speed of the slowest device, but thats not true of current designs. Also jumper settings vary between makes (and even models) so check out the labels on the drives.

Boot drive, master of IDE channel 0. Programmes and OS go on here.

Second drive, master of IDE channel 1. More programmes and any files you want to burn to CD-R go on here.

CD_ROM, secondary of IDE channel 1.

CD_RW, seconday of IDE channel 0.

Once thats all wired up, tidy all the cables up a bit and put the case back on. I woudnt bother screwing it back on just yet though.

Power up (I traditionaly now open the case and replace the power cable that I have to take out to get at the IDE connectors, your milage may vary_

Now, with luck youll boot from your old drive and can format the new one in the standard fashion.

Possibly youll need to boot from your XP cd and repair your install. Also quite possibly youll have to repartition and reformat your second drive since if hes got an E: drive then there are at least two partitions on there. WHich makes no sense under FAT32, let alone NTFS.

Incidently deciding to change the boot sequence like this is the kind of crap I would expect from a PC-world tech, not a competent tech. And personaly I dont let *anyone* inside my case. Ever. Not even if they are better than me.
Only thing I would add is that you will want to insure that whatever device you have with your boot drive is UDMA compatible (most are these days)
Old 09-19-2002, 12:57 PM   #15
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

I cant get rid of my damned birus i dont now its name... err is there a simple device you can download to get it trapped and killed?
Felix

p.s. ive found out that its not gone but its made by verisign? ring any bells?

[ 09-19-2002, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: FelixJaeger ]
Old 09-19-2002, 02:08 PM   #16
Hexa
The Magister

hmm well instaling a new harddisk is pretty easy...just attatch the flatcable and set the jumper ...

But now that u are in trouble just use the new XP as your new booting OS and save what u can before u try to salvage/repair the other harddisk...

There are a few programs out there that can pretty much restore all harddisk (or ruine them).

Furthermore I would confront that colleague of yours ... The least u will get is some fun out of making him look ridiculous (misery loves company and all ya know) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Another thing u might wann try is a dual install ... try to reinstall windows over the odl disk (withoiut doing anything prior to the disk)...

Oh wel hope u fix it and hope it isn't contageous because I will be installing anew harddisk and some new memory tomorrow!@

Old 09-19-2002, 02:51 PM   #17
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
I cant get rid of my damned birus i dont now its name... err is there a simple device you can download to get it trapped and killed?
Felix

check out www.download.com or cnet.com they have free anti-virus software you can sample (most have a time limit on how long you can use them) but it should be able to fix your problem.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:12 PM   #18
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Felix

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

It might not be the best, but it should find the thing at least. With some luck itll kill it as well.

And when did verisign start making viruses? I thought they were doing certificates, with a bit of spyware thrown in on the side, but Viruses?

Probly just something from verisign got infected.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:11 PM   #19
MagiK

Wow, Mem-dude, sounds like your guy really messed up. Installing and converting drives really isn't that hard. You going to be around someone who really knows how to do the install soon? If he or she gets at it before you do much, it may not be a total loss. At worst, you will loose your data but it will be installed correctly [img]smile.gif[/img] Id have done it for ya...but the commute would have been a B*TCH. Seriously, it should not have been a big deal. I do it all the time, at home and at work.

[ 09-19-2002, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 09-19-2002, 09:04 PM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Thank you very much everyone for all the help. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I'm getting the PC back today so I can see what state it's in. Once I've worked out what's happened I'll post here again to let everyone know exactly what the issues are and will be looking for more help, but all this info has been really good so far!! [img]smile.gif[/img]