Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-28-2002, 09:01 AM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

I just realised the first website I visited when I first tried the web is gone after all these years... well it was in '96 the Smashing Pumpkins Collection I must admit I hadn't gone there for about 2 months but It was a great site and I feel a little old after seeing it gone.

So do you guys remember what was the first site you went to?
How about sites you have been going to for a long time?

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]

Old 01-28-2002, 09:14 AM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

Hmm, that has to be the Bert is Evil! site, 5 years ago or something. But it seems it's taken down now as well... Probably because of 9-11 when some of the Bert is Evil! pictures were spread in newspapers all over the world...

This is the story on the website:

I have taken down the "Bert is Evil!"site from my server. I would like to thank Sesame Workshop for their patience and restraint all these years. I implore all fans and mirror site hosts of "Bert is Evil" to stop the spread of this site too.

This is not selling out. I was not bullied. I am not being a ■■■■■.

I am doing this because I feel this has gotten too close to reality and I choose to be responsible enough to stop it right here.

I want to thank all the fans who laughed with me all these years. Thank you to the mirror sites who continued the legacy beyond what I started. Thanks to Victor J. Zuylen, N. Ross Gilbert, Wout Reinders and Jasper Hulshoff Pol who helped me build the site back in the early days. Thank you to Tiffany Schlain and the Webby Awards team for believing in me. Many thanks to the press who have helped me get my site noticed (specifically the now defunct magazines Internet Underground and The Web). Thank you to Lloyd Kaufman and the Tromaville.com staff who brought Fractal Cow back to life.

I hope my other projects will receive an ounce of the appreciation you all showed "Bert is Evil!".

Thank you very much.

Dino Ignacio
www.fractalcow.com

=update:

In response to all of you who have emailed me criticizing my desision to kill the site, I post this email I wrote to one of you:

i really appreciate you writing to me. in all honesty. it was a very hard decision to make.

i literally killed a part of myself today. if fractalcow represents different parts of my psyche. i just killed the rebellious part of my soul today in lieu of the part that dictates to be responsible.

my main motivation in killing the site is that i hope it helps stop the idea from germinating anymore into the mainstream. i fear that it may destroy the character's credibility with children. i cannot allow that to happen. i myself grew up on sesame street and it was an important part of my childhood.

"bert is evil!" and its following has always been contained and distanced from big media. this issue throws it out in the open, with articles, emails and news websites referring to it, children are bound to hear about it. i think i had to draw the line there.

it really sucks. i hate part of mysef right now. you actually are giving voice to that rebellious punk in me. i appreciate you doing that. but the punk boy has to succumb for the moment.

don't worry, there's more where it came from.

dino

(Posting this because it was news to me as well... Not that I still visited that site a lot, but 5 years ago, the humour was all a little bit more innocent and still funny and fresh and I really enjoyed it back then. Pity it's gone now, though.)
Old 01-28-2002, 09:21 AM   #3
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

What was the "Bert is evil" site about?
Old 01-28-2002, 09:47 AM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:
What was the "Bert is evil" site about?

It contained pictures, jokes and stories implying that Bert was evil...
Some of them hardly subtle (a picture of Bert standing next to Hitler or OJ Simpson, Bert caught red-handed with Pamela Anderson), but others quite subtle and suggestive (Bert standing in the crowd on the day JFK got shot, an investigation showing the resemblances between Bert and aliens). Also, the tickle-me Elmo parody was classic.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Grojlach ]