Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
Tarlanon
Manshoon

Hey Gang.

I ran into another 'quirk' last night while working on my design. I wanted to set some custom colour for text used in my design so I modified the config.txt file in the .dsn directory (the design) for my design. It worked great in the engine.

Then I went back in and made some changes to the design and saved it. When I went to test it out, all my custom colours were gone! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

It seems that whenever you save a design, the main config.txt file from the base DC directory gets copied into your design directory every time you save your design in the editor. Obviously to get around this I can just change the main file and every time I save it will be placed in my design directory.

The issue I have is this; Were I to change the set of text colours or other setting to match the current design I am working on in the main config.txt file this version of the file would always be available for that design. BUT, were I switch to working on another design without restoring those settings in the main config.txt, when I saved that other design the config.txt file for that design would have the altered config.txt file saved to it's directory.

Depending on the changes made in the config.txt file, this could break the other design!

I found the offending(?) code starting in line 1482 the Level.cpp file.

code:
if (success)
{
saveExec = ConfigFile.GetFilename();

if (!FileExists(saveExec))
{
temp.Format("Could not locate config.txt file to add to design");
MsgBoxError(temp, "Save Design Error");
}
else
{
GetDesignPath(path);
file.Format("%s%s", path, "config.txt");
SetFileAttributes(file, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL);
success = CopyFile(saveExec, file, FALSE);
SetFileAttributes(file, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL);

if (!success)
{
temp.Format("Could not copy config file %s to %s", saveExec, file);
MsgBoxError(temp, "Save Design Error");
}
}
}
[/QUOTE]Perhaps it could be changed so the else is really and elseif or something similar and check for the current existence of the config.txt in the design directory? And if it finds one exists to simply skip over it? (and of course, if it doesn't, to write it)Or is there a specific reason why this needs to be done?

I hope I didn't offend anyone by looking into the code. I just like poking around in things. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2004, 11:02 AM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

This is great! I've been having the same issue, but with viewport size. The problem is that DC loads the config.txt from the main directory, and when you save the design, saves it in the design directory. I'm guessing that CocoaSpud wants it to go the way you have suggested... This little bug has cost me- I've had to download DC several times just to get a clean version of the config.txt
Nobody said I'm a guick learner.

-manikus