Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2002, 02:17 AM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

have you ever seen Laputa of Castle of the Sky, Nausicaa of Valley of the Wind?

well, if you even REMOTELY liked it (anyone of those), this one is gonna kill you. no argument, purely, definitively slaughter of your mind. although the movie itself is rated strictly PG.

AND, even if you never heard of Laputa, GO WATCH IT ANYWAY. I am going to tell you how I started from a non-believer to the religious fanatic of the movie.

earlier today, I was walking on the Loop, St. Louis with my friend Charlie. We saw a 16-bit colored poster portraying a lil girl on the side wall of a restaraunt. My friend jumped and yelled "HOLY SH*T, Spirited Away???" then he went on to tell me how popular the movie is in asia, how much a hot stuff it is. and he procceded on telling me how only LA and NYC had the theatres playing it. all the time, I was "yeah yeah, just a childish movie".

well, I decided to give it a beneafit of doubt, at his STRONG insistence. Boy, am I GLAD I listened to him. The movie is something I cannot described. to give my best try, it brings to a magical place where your dreams once lived. and if that made sense at all, I failed. and that is only a glipse of the movie.

mmmmm, say, it is like eating a piece of fruit. it is sweet, but not creamy and choking, everything you've ever expected and more. makes you keep wondering and enjoying.

ok, I have to stop here, for more words will only eventually ruin the magic of this movie.

a link for you all reference:

Spirited Away

P.S.
remember if you want COMPLETE enjoyment, DO NOT watch the trailers. (btw, the trailers aint much, the english trailers are misleading, and DOES NOT give you any idea on whats going on.)

[ 10-12-2002, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: 250 ]
Old 10-12-2002, 02:20 AM   #2
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

STRONGLY WARNING:
DO NOT READ ANY PREVIEWS OR WATCH TRAILERS IF YOU WANT A FULL SURPRISE!

btw, breath taking

read Amazon.com's review (also see the warning above)

although I am sure there are much better reviewing places. if it does not convince you how good the movie it is, at least it doesnt prove evidence for you to not look at it. and OH YEAH, I am trying to convince you to watch the movie... because, you will love me later [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-12-2002, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: 250 ]
Old 10-12-2002, 02:55 AM   #3
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

um whoah. . . I just watched one of the trailers... This kind of is like... Little nemo and Neia Under 7 crossed with miyazakis Pricess Mononoke... wait a second. . . MIYAZAKI MADE THIS TOO!?! THAT MAN IS SO GOOD! all of his movies FREAKING RULE!!! He hand draws every frame himself an dhas a tream color it... I've loved his work ever since the animated short about a fancifull furry cute thing called Ghibli ^_^ Dude if you know what's good for you you will see any movie by Miyazaki! And if you haven't go get Princess Mononoke while you're at it, it'll probably be in the anime second of a local suncoast or something OOH i have to see this movie... and I was wondering what would come after the end of Evangelion [img]smile.gif[/img]

HAIOU MIYAZAKI IS BACK!!! WOOHOO! He's done it again! [img]tongue.gif[/img] That crazy guy just cant stop drawing whole movies can he? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I remember someone asking if any fantasy movies were comming out... um... I think this would be a good one to go see [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also: If you want something to hold you over until this comes out on DVD, try princess mononoke if you havent seen it [img]tongue.gif[/img] it's by the same guy, and is set a little bit further back in time... heh...

[ 10-12-2002, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]
Old 10-12-2002, 02:58 AM   #4
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

*whimper* It won't be playing in theaters in my area! I'll have to wait for it to be on DVD. Sometimes southern Illinois really sucks.
Old 10-12-2002, 03:01 AM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ornery One:
*whimper* It won't be playing in theaters in my area! I'll have to wait for it to be on DVD. Sometimes southern Illinois really sucks.
ok, sorry I was gonna offer it for you to dl on Kazzaa, but for once I am supporting the movie producer!!! because this movie is BEAUTIFUL. Good luck, hope it comes out soon

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
um whoah. . . I just watched one of the trailers... This kind of is like... Little nemo and Neia Under 7 crossed with miyazakis Pricess Mononoke... wait a second. . . MIYAZAKI MADE THIS TOO!?! THAT MAN IS SO GOOD! all of his movies FREAKING RULE!!! He hand draws every frame himself an dhas a tream color it... I've loved his work ever since the animated short about a fancifull furry cute thing called Yosho ^_^ Dude if you know what's good for you you will see any movie by Miyazaki! And if you haven't go get Princess Mononoke while you're at it, it'll probably be in the anime second of a local suncoast or something OOH i have to see this movie... and I was wondering what would come after the end of Evangelion [img]smile.gif[/img]

HAIOU MIYAZAKI IS BACK!!! WOOHOO! He's done it again! [img]tongue.gif[/img] That crazy guy just cant stop drawing whole movies can he? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I remember someone asking if any fantasy movies were comming out... um... I think this would be a good one to go see [img]smile.gif[/img]
man, I hate to disappoint you... but this movie is unlike

**drum**

ANYTHING

ANYTHING

you've ever watched, including from HAIOU MIYAZAKI!!! Period. go see it yourself [img]smile.gif[/img] and take a date, or your daughter, or your neice, or your mother or your... you know.

btw, the trailers ain't really that enhancing (you will know what I mean [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but I AM GLAD you liked them anyways!

[ 10-12-2002, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: 250 ]
Old 10-12-2002, 10:10 AM   #6
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

You think I dont know that?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I saw a preview of princess mononoke and it turned out to be 400 times as magical as I thought it was going to be [img]tongue.gif[/img]

+His movies are the kind that drag on forever and make you wish they never end!

Though disney is translating it? Hmm the last time Miramax did it and they even got Skully and Billy bob thorton, He actually did a good job of a tengu [img]tongue.gif[/img]
"You say you're under a curse? Well so's the whole damn world..." I wonder if either of them will be making a re-appearance in this dub [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I also wonder if the Japanese role for the little girl will be played by Miyama Ichiba, the woman who played Mima in Perfect Blue, I think that would fit perfectly to that characters face [img]smile.gif[/img] ... But I don't run the Zaibatsu's so i'm sure she's working on something from the creators of Jin Roh... speaking of jin roh, the voice actress (forgot her name) who did Little Red Riding hood would've been good too [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 10-12-2002, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]
Old 10-12-2002, 10:48 AM   #7
Bristowe
Elminster

!!!. I've seen Spirited Away on dvd, and i must say, it's excellent, a bit freaky/wierd and disturbing but amazing nevertheless.
Miyazaki is a genius.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:40 AM   #8
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Bristowe:
!!!. I've seen Spirited Away on dvd, and i must say, it's excellent, a bit freaky/wierd and disturbing but amazing nevertheless.
Miyazaki is a genius.
there is another one [img]smile.gif[/img] the movie itself has many touchs on religions and culture. one thing (without giving away the story) is the idea of spirit world, the myth where one journeys into a shadowy place and grow through the experience. like the many characters who went to the under world in Greek myth. the experience is often disturbing, because the person is changed forever.

man, this movie is full of surprise, full of wonder.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:37 PM   #9
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:

earlier today, I was walking on the Loop, St. Louis with my friend Charlie. We saw a 16-bit colored poster portraying a lil girl on the side wall of a restaraunt. My friend jumped and yelled "HOLY SH*T, Spirited Away???" then he went on to tell me how popular the movie is in asia, how much a hot stuff it is. and he procceded on telling me how only LA and NYC had the theatres playing it. all the time, I was "yeah yeah, just a childish movie".

Ahhh, the Loop, a pretty magical place itself. I'm sure you visited Vintage Vynal if you're a music lover, or maybe you dined at one of the very nice ethnic restaurants, or perhaps threw a few darts and drank a couple of beers at Blueberry Hill. Whatever you do there it's a great place to hang out and walk up and down such a diverse strip. And I will be checking out this movie (since you were at the Loop you must have great taste)! Hopefully it's [img]graemlins/tgestar1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar1.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 02:33 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

so has anyone checked it out yet? just wondering, if you did, let us know!

also, SpongeBobTheDestoyer, yeah, I live in Washington University St. Louis, are you happen to be at this school too? just wondering. on Loop, I didn't know all these places until you told me, lol. but I did dine in several restaraunt there. some of them match the best restaraunts in San Francisco! like the Japanese Seki, and the Thai Country Cafe [img]smile.gif[/img]