Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Is Hell exothermic or endothermic?

please back up your opinion with a proper argument.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-29-2004, 03:43 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Ooooh, let me see if I remember this one:

First, We postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave.

Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, then you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and souls go to hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant. Two options exist:

If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.

If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.
So which is it? If we accept the quote given to me by Theresa Manyan during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have NOT succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then Option 2 cannot be true...Thus, hell is exothermic.

http://www.pinetree.net/humor/thermodynamics.html
Old 11-29-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I remember that one too.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

One problem with that. If souls have mass, a person would get lighter at the point of death. Since they don't, souls must have no mass.
The premis of that whole argument depends on the assumption that something which exists must have mass. An abstract concept could be considered to 'exist', but it has no mass.
Information could be said to exist. If something which exists must have mass, you could gain weight by learning which is, after all, just aquiring information. (And also, lose weight by becoming less intelligent, which would account for the existence of super-models).
Old 11-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Hell is exothermic.

Hell is other people. And people give off heat. Hell is exothermic.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Funny, Meg, I thought souls weighed 14 grams.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:38 PM   #7
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Funny, Meg, I thought souls weighed 14 grams.
I think it's 21 grams, as in the film
Old 11-29-2004, 05:44 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Ooops, wrong multiplier of 7.

[img]graemlins/homer.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2004, 06:40 PM   #9
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

What film would that be?
Old 11-29-2004, 06:48 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

"21 Grams" -- worth a rental, but not much else. It's got Sean Penn -- sans his buddy Saddam.
Closed Thread