Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #11
Jorath Calar
Harper

The foot? it ssounds more like taking the pin out of a handgrenade and sticking it... erhmmm were the sun don't shines...

I predict that in 2-3 years there will be a law that requires all citizens to spend at least 2 hours a day in special advertisement booths were commercials will be forced down their throat. Those who disobey will be hunted down.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:39 PM   #12
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
My brother was telling me the other day that the DVD player wouldn't let him fast forward the trailers on Shaun of the Dead, so it apparently enforceable, at least in so far as most people wont be able to, or wont be bothered to, bypass it.
This happened to me the other day too with Shaun of the Dead. What is next?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #13
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Blocking fast forward is nothing new. It's been around down here for about as long as there have been DVDs, but I've only seen it on the copyright notice.
It is bypassable, though. You just need a player that ignores the instruction to block fast forward. Which is basically anything that goes on your computer rather than through your TV.

Since the computer is becoming more common as a home entertainment thing (at the rate things are going, this might even be common place in the next few years), how well this works depends on one thing and one thing only. If open source wins the war that's already starting, this won't work. People will be allowed to simply recompile the decoders, having removed the fast-forward prevention code. If proprietry companies, such as Microsoft or Apple, are allowed to keep their monopolies, the movie companies will have some control over them and force the decoders to prevent fast forwarding; and noone will be able to change that.
If everything is open, everything is free. And that is how it should be.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #14
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Great. Where are the uniforms and molotov cocktails? Come Comrade LennonCook, the revolution awaits!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #15
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

I'm so glad I live in China. Keeping in mind the quality of DVDs here is poor, and they are also pirated copies (I don't think it is even *possible* to buy a non-pirate copy here), no enterprising pirate is going to force anyone to sit through advertisements. Let's face it, most of the time they cut out the "special features" and end credits to boot.

Is it wrong? Sure, on some level. But it's just was wrong to force a guy to sit through previews *in his own home*. Anyway, if I find a movie that's worthwhile, I'll break down and buy a real copy (through friends in the states or japan if i have to) but considering the last great movie I was was 'Pirates of the Carribean', I'm not going to hold my breath or waste money on a DVD that forces me to sit through ads.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #16
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well, if that's true, and I think the same thing happened with PotC on the weekend, then please people let's stop buying and renting all together. I'll just go back to Video tape. I hate being f**ked with like that. I payed to watch a movie and that's it. I'm strongly against pirating and that's why I rent. That would change my mind if I knew I had to sit through commercials.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #17
Spirits forever

ridiculus, this is just plain stupid, yeah, this happens, then back to good ol vhs for me XD

Old 01-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #18
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

I've seen this idea before on CNN. I wonder what movie directors say about it? If they push this law for "non-self-serving professional reasons" then I know what to look for when to decide if a movie is one i don't buy.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #19
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Bad enough TV forces advertising crap down our throats, and radio, AND junk mail and e-mail!
How exactly do TV and radio force "crap down our throats"? Is someone sitting there forcing you to watch TV or listen to the radio? Go to the library and get a book, go outside for a walk, do a puzzle, or do any of the thousands of other things that you can do other then watch TV or listen to the radio. TV and Radio arn't forceing squat down your throat, you're making a choice to use a service, and the price you usually have to pay is that you have to deal with advertisements. For the radio at least there are 100% commercial free alternatives that you can get if you're willing to pay for it, and most areas have commercial free public TV and Radio. So if you're really bothered by it then you should do something about it, rather then compain about a service that some of us happen to enjoy regardless of advertising.

[ 01-07-2005, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Old 01-07-2005, 10:35 PM   #20
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Bad enough TV forces advertising crap down our throats, and radio, AND junk mail and e-mail!
How exactly do TV and radio force "crap down our throats"? Is someone sitting there forcing you to watch TV or listen to the radio? Go to the library and get a book, go outside for a walk, do a puzzle, or do any of the thousands of other things that you can do other then watch TV or listen to the radio. TV and Radio arn't forceing squat down your throat, you're making a choice to use a service, and the price you usually have to pay is that you have to deal with advertisements. For the radio at least there are 100% commercial free alternatives that you can get if you're willing to pay for it, and most areas have commercial free public TV and Radio. So if you're really bothered by it then you should do something about it, rather then compain about a service that some of us happen to enjoy regardless of advertising. [/QUOTE]Dude, you gotta get that poker out of your ass sometime, doesn't it hurt after all this time ? I'm sure she means that when you watch a movie, or a show, or whatever, it gets interrupted by a commercial blog every other 15 minutes, that IS forcing adds down people's throats. We all pay for watching TV, so we also have a right to complain if we don't like what we see.