Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2001, 03:47 PM   #1
boran_blok
Dungeon Master

I intend to solo trough BG 1, as my first run trough, I just want to get the story, (played BG2 first) and I wonder will I miss a lot of the game contents if I solo (in other words is there much usefull dialogue between you and npc's in your party (like in BG2 where the npc's are like a sub-game on theirselves) or isnt this, and are there romances in BG1 ?

also, what is the best way to play it trough ? a Fighter/Mage/theif or just Fighter/Thief (I removed the exp cap cous I wont be exporting to BG2 .. so take that into account)

thanks,
Boran
boran_blok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 03:51 PM   #2
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

keep in mind that BG1 is MUCH harder to start, but NPC interaction is there for pure entertainment - you won't miss anything important. Fighter/mage/thief is probably a good idea. But keep in mind that a lot of spells you might've gotten used to during BG2 are not implemented (like stoneskin). Have fun.
dimon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 04:20 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

And, no, there are no romances. Still, you should not turn Imoen down (my opinion)...If it is the story that you want, she is a big part of it. I would like to play my PC and Imoen only, someday, after ToB is very old.

------------------

Larry, a loyal guardian of the OHF, and devoted member of the Ironworks
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 04:35 PM   #4
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

There isnt interaction with your party members, and to complete their "quests" (if any) you dont have to have them in your party.
Anyway, i would recommend a whole party, or at least a 4 character party to the first time, Bg1 is hard . Going solo, Ive completed it with a cleric/illusionist and with an elven fighter. It was pretty hard though.

------------------
"TEEHEE !!!!" -The Mighty CloudQueen, to Ertai
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 05:06 PM   #5
boran_blok
Dungeon Master

hmm I just have been able to roll my char with 4 18's ... I think i'll go solo after all ... is imoen really a THAT big part of the story ?
cous when going with 4 (I count for 3 eh(fighter/mage/thief)
the exp gets too spreaded, I have heard from many ppl that they found imoen rather annoying

I'm now at the friendly arms inn and require one spoiler .. what do I do with that flamedance ring (it has a name on it so it belongs to someone, but where do I find that someone ?)

(bluffy sidenote of no real intrest :
I have managed to perform a 32 dmg backstab on that wizzard who wanted to ambush me on the stairs (short sword, double backstab, my strength is 18/96)

and I have another Question (i'm new to playing thief, only finished BG2 twice, now starting BG1) can u use invisibility instead of hide in shadows for backstabbing ?? (when I learn that spell, cous invisibility can be cast with enemies in sight, and hide in shadows not ..)

Thanks for all the info so far

Boran
boran_blok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 05:30 PM   #6
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah, you can backstabb with invisibility spell (you can also do it with items that have the special ability of "invisibility").

MINI SPOILER
-
-
-
-
-
Well, that ring´s owner is in the house that is just left from the entrance to the Friendly Arm Inn.

------------------
"TEEHEE !!!!" -The Mighty CloudQueen, to Ertai
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 08:31 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by boran_blok:
Is Imoen really a THAT big part of the story ?
cous when going with 4 (I count for 3 eh(fighter/mage/thief)
the exp gets too spreaded, I have heard from many ppl that they found Imoen rather annoying

That is their own opinions, not fact...I like her role in the story, pesonally.
Quote:
I have managed to perform a 32 dmg backstab on that wizard who wanted to ambush me on the stairs (short sword, double backstab, my strength is 18/96)
good job! My first time through, I didn't know if I would ever get past that guy!

------------------

Larry, a loyal guardian of the OHF, and devoted member of the Ironworks
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote