Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 02-27-2002, 03:59 PM   #1
the_Avatar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Where in the game does it tell you your current spell level? Every time I try to read a magic book it says I am not powerful enuff..when I examine the book it say have to be spell level 2 or 3 or whatever but I don't see that skill anywhere. someone help me the game is starting to piss me off [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2002, 04:22 PM   #2
Jem
Zhentarim Guard

Check out this thread for details on where to get the latest and greatest version of a very helpful spreadsheet that will allow you to figure this out and save you a lot of heartburn.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:27 PM   #3
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

On the other hand, if you're one of the few people *contained stuff that could be missunderstood, see post below for my excuse* you might want to have a look at this page where you can find a description of this matter by one of the developers of Wiz8.

Never forget your towel, cheers
Philipp

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Pyrates ]

Old 02-27-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
Mage_77
Manshoon

quote:
On the other hand, if you're one of the few people in this world, who are neither buyin nor pirating Microsoft's office stuff,

Pyrates:
This isnt actually "illegal" in way,shape or form.

He's only offering a file you can download that was created by using "part" of an "office/workstation program" that was specifically created for making spreadsheets. Its not illegal to have such a file for "free" download. Its only illegal if he was selling it for cash.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:13 PM   #5
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Pyrates, after all the help I've given you via e-mail, you're accusing me of illegal activity!? Mage_77 is correct, it's only the file that is available for download, if you have a spreadsheet application package that can read Excel files, you are more than free to use those. I choose Excel simply because it is the most common ss package in use (for good or worse).

On a side-note, I've spend about 30 hours of my own personal time creating that spreadsheet (and thius doesn't count research), for no financial rewards, and so far, I've only recieved 7 "thank you" e-mails, so hardly doing this for fame or fortune.

Jem: Thanks for the support
the_Avatar: Stick with it, the challenges make succeeding all the sweeter

Also, a more direct link to information on how spell availablity is calculated, visit http://wiz8.web1000.com/perko.html

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Wolfie ]

Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:30 PM   #6
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

NONONONONO, I'm sorry if I was misunderstood! Never would I accuse someone of doing so, especially not someone who was so friendly to spend time with making up such a nice spreadsheet (I was actually able to look at it by downloading the viewer suggested by Wolfie)...

It was more sort of a little joke, because I know it's pretty common to pirate Microsofts office package, and I'm one of the people who would like to have but not to buy it (well, to use wolfie's spreadsheet, you surely guessed ), and so I have to live without it, and I mainly wanted to tell the_Avatar that one can also do it by hand...

Maybe I should point out that Wolfie was really nice to answer my questions per e-mail, and though I wasn't yet able to use the spreadsheet, he's a great guy for putting up with so much for it. Surely it's far from illegal to do so, I never wanted to say that...

I'm gonna edit this out of the above post and hope you will forgive me, but be assured that I had nothing in mind, maybe my english just isn't good enough!

Never forget your towel, cheers
Philipp
Old 02-27-2002, 11:51 PM   #7
the_Avatar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the help...I downloaded the spreadsheet the other day when I saw the thread..But unfortunatly I am one of those spreadsheetablly challenged people [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]
I can never really make heads or tails of them...however put me infront of a server with cisco routers, or give me a site to design with flash...and WWWHHEEEEWWWWW MIGHT MAKE YOUR HEAD BLOW OFF!

[img]graemlins/chaos.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2002, 12:09 AM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Avatar, here's a quick and dirty way to figure if a spellcaster can read a book.

Character level: 1, 3, 5, 8, 11, 14, 18

Discipline Score: 0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90

(Discipline is Alchemy, Psionics, Divinity, Wizardry)

So just count along. You want fourth level psionics? You need a character level of 8, and Psionics of 45.

Individual realms (earth, air, etc.) add 10% of their score to the total. So you could actually learn some spells with a slightly lower discipline score.

For hybrid spellcasters (Samurai, rangers, etc.), add 4 to level, because they start learning spells at 5th level. So your Monk (if you have one) wouldn't qualify for fourth-level spells until level 12.

Hope this helps.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:43 PM   #9
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Pyrates, yes there was a bit of a mis-understanding, sorry about that, all sorted now!

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote