Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-18-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Hey everyone, just back from holiday, it was great, but Im kinda shattered, so Il tell you about it tomorow. But anyway, just got back today, and have something to ask you dutchies.

Firstly, Wengen is quite remote, its a nice place, and a great place to be based for walking etc. But to get there from where I live I had to take...

-one car journey to Aberdeen airport
-one plane journey to Schiphol airport
-another plane journey from Schiphol to Zurich
-a train journey from Zurich to Interlaken
-a train journey from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen
-a train journey from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen

Now all this travelling took about 13 hours. But in the end we got to the hotel and just crashed out.

We had a great time, and really thoroughly enjoyed ourselves (there was 10 of us there as went with a whole side of my family)

But the way back was a different story.

We were supposed to be back home at about 8pm on Saturday, which was good, because I had work on Sunday, and a party that Saturday night. So it would all fit in perfectly, although I would be a bit tired. It was also my mums birthday on the Sunday, and she was going out with a friend down to Edinburgh (about 3 and a 1/2 hours away) to see Cliff Richard at Edinburgh Castle. There were also various other members of the party who had work on Monday and wanted to enjoy a day of rest before they had to go back.

So anyway, everything started off fine. We left Wengen earlier than expected, and were actually early at Interlaken before our train which took us to Zurich. We got that fine, and got on the plane. Everything was going fine, and we had about an hour and a half between flights in Schiphol. Plenty of time...so we thought.

Just before we were about to land (flaps out, cabin crew taken there seats and everything) and a big storm started, with lots of thunder and lightning. There was also a lot of turbulence, it was like a rollercoaster ride. So the pilot told us that we would stay in the air and in half an hour it would all be over and we would land. But after half an hour it was still raging, and so he told us we were going to Rotherdam instead, and would be taken to Schipho as soon as the storm ended.

But we were still sitting on the plane over two hours later. They gave us some bunf about having to file all this information, but that should take no longer than 30minutes. And the storm was finished. So after about 3 hours we finally took of for Schipho, the flight lasted about 5minutes. Then we were all told that everybody had to go to a transfer desk, but there was only one open by this time. So we had to stand in this que, with only 1 desk open for about an hour, then they put another 2 people in (even though there was 12 desks) So after about another hour we finally got to the front. By this time it was about midnight, and there was no hope of another flight to Aberdeen, so we thought we'd just get the first morning one. But then the woman comes out with, "you can fly tomorow at 8pm" 8PM!!!!! I have work, my mother has a concert, its her birthday, this is just a joke. After much arguing nothing else happened, they said all flights were full even for Glasgow and Edinburgh till then aswell. So we were screwed, they couldn't even give my mother a single flight so she could get to her concert and enjoy her birthday.

So instead we had to sleep in some chairs, with out original clothes on (they wouldn't give us our luggage, or a room) and we had to buy our own food, and fund everything ourselves. Pretty poor I would say.

The next day (today) was fairly boring, we just mooched around the airport, some of the family went on a tour round Amsterdam, but I really couldn't be bothered. So anyway, after finally arriving back in Aberdeen, avoiding the crappy cheese roll that KLM gives on every flight, they had to go and rub it in by giving all of our party there luggage. EXCEPT ME!!! mine is still somewhere in Amsterdam!

KLM SUCK ASS!

Sorry, just had to rant, that just pissed me off so badly, nice holiday, but KLM suck ass, I will never be flying with them again!
Old 07-18-2004, 06:31 PM   #2
Animal
Gold Dragon

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

At least they know where your luggage is. I was in England for 2 weeks a couple of years ago, and British Airways didn't even know where my luggage was. To this day, I'm still waiting for it!
Old 07-18-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Did you claim the insurance (+add on a few hundred quid)?
Old 07-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
Did you claim the insurance (+add on a few hundred quid)?
Of course!

Besides, I feel sorry for the schmuk who swiped my luggage. I can pretty much guarantee nothing would fit him!

To be honest, I've flown hundereds of times, and that was the only bad experience and in British Airways' defense, they did re-imburse me immediately.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:07 PM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmm you think that Journey was bad Ross? A few weeks ago when I went to the Pyrenees to do hiking, this was the journey:

1. Car from house to long stay car park
2. Bus from car park to airport terminal
3. Plane from Stansted to Pau airport
4. Coach from airport to the town railway station
5. Train from Pau to Oloron-Saint Marie
6. Coach from Oloron to Bedous
7. Taxi from Bedous to the first night's refuge on the Spanish border at Somport.

the way back wasn't much better:
1. Coach from Gavarnie to Pierrefit
2. Changed coach at Pierrefit to get to Luz.
3. Hung around in Luz and got another coach to Lourdes.
4. Hung around in Lourdes to wait for train to Pau.
5. Coach back to airport.
6. Plane to stansted.
7. Bus to car park.
8. Car home

Wasn't actually bad, just complicated. Was with mates so wasn't boring at least
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 07-18-2004, 10:21 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Bummer! Sorry you had such a bad experience... it's not usually like that, but as a frequent traveler, I can tell you sometimes that it happens. Doesn't make it any better when it does happen, but it does.

Last week, I was in Virginia for a day of work with a customer. I had a meeting with another customer the next morning at 8:30. Note to self: next time you schedule a morning meeting, don't drink first...

Got to the airport to check in, and my flight was so delayed that they were already scheduling alternatives... it wasn't leaving for another two hours. Got to the checkin line, and they offered to get me partway there, and finish in the morning -- long after my scheduled meeting. No one else has any space to get me home tonight.

Fine, I say. Rule #1 of travel: always get closer to your final destination. Send me to Cleveland, because I've got more options once I get there.

I have a nice leisurely dinner, then head for the gates. I'll leave a message for the customer later that I'll have to delay the meeting.

Hmmm... two Delta planes are sitting out at the gates. They fly to Grand Rapids... I wonder if they might be able to get me on board? Rule #4 of travel: "No" doesn't always mean "no". Sometimes it means "I am too busy to handle it".

Sure enough, they can... and they can get me home tonight. Continental switches me over, and Delta gets me out of Virginia to Atlanta...

... only after we board the plane, they announce that Atlanta is shut down for bad weather. Tornados or something... I mean, really

Still, we get out quickly, and I get to Atlanta with 40 minutes to make my connection...

... only we spend 30 minutes parked out on the tarmac. All that bad weather slowed everything down.

Now I've got ten minutes, and great... I have to go to another concourse.

I step out and check the monitors, and my second flight is delayed 90 minutes. No problem....

... except that 90 minutes is optimistic. Ends up being almost three hours, during which people are rushing to make connections, failing, and getting very upset.

I finally get home at two in the morning and get to bed at three. Then get up so I can make that 8:30 meeting.

It's almost like being in college, but without the beer [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-18-2004, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:36 PM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

You could not entertain yourself within a ten min train ride of Schiphol airport Ross you were not even trying [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But it sucks big time. Could they not get you on a flight to Manchester or Glasgow and put you on a coach? Just because they say they will not re reimburse you some money does not mean that you are not entitled to it. Try suing them in a small claims court. It's cheap to do and not worth the effort for them to defend.

Just as a side note I think KLM has been bought out by Air France (correct me if wrong you Duchies) so the standard of care that made them survive to be the oldest airline in the world has probably long gone, which is a shame because they used to be very well respected.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-19-2004, 06:18 AM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
You could not entertain yourself within a ten min train ride of Schiphol airport Ross you were not even trying [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But it sucks big time. Could they not get you on a flight to Manchester or Glasgow and put you on a coach? Just because they say they will not re reimburse you some money does not mean that you are not entitled to it. Try suing them in a small claims court. It's cheap to do and not worth the effort for them to defend.

Just as a side note I think KLM has been bought out by Air France (correct me if wrong you Duchies) so the standard of care that made them survive to be the oldest airline in the world has probably long gone, which is a shame because they used to be very well respected.
I could have entertained myself, but that would have cost even more money. No, no other flights, we tried all that. Yeh, we are in the process of writing a complaint and attempting to get them to reimburse the money (we had the same sort of problem with BA in October, and they did eventuall reimburse everything.

Well I don't think I will be flying with them again, but ohwell.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:32 AM   #9
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Bummer! Sorry you had such a bad experience... it's not usually like that, but as a frequent traveler, I can tell you sometimes that it happens. Doesn't make it any better when it does happen, but it does.

Last week, I was in Virginia for a day of work with a customer. I had a meeting with another customer the next morning at 8:30. Note to self: next time you schedule a morning meeting, don't drink first...

Got to the airport to check in, and my flight was so delayed that they were already scheduling alternatives... it wasn't leaving for another two hours. Got to the checkin line, and they offered to get me partway there, and finish in the morning -- long after my scheduled meeting. No one else has any space to get me home tonight.

Fine, I say. Rule #1 of travel: always get closer to your final destination. Send me to Cleveland, because I've got more options once I get there.

I have a nice leisurely dinner, then head for the gates. I'll leave a message for the customer later that I'll have to delay the meeting.

Hmmm... two Delta planes are sitting out at the gates. They fly to Grand Rapids... I wonder if they might be able to get me on board? Rule #4 of travel: "No" doesn't always mean "no". Sometimes it means "I am too busy to handle it".

Sure enough, they can... and they can get me home tonight. Continental switches me over, and Delta gets me out of Virginia to Atlanta...

... only after we board the plane, they announce that Atlanta is shut down for bad weather. Tornados or something... I mean, really

Still, we get out quickly, and I get to Atlanta with 40 minutes to make my connection...

... only we spend 30 minutes parked out on the tarmac. All that bad weather slowed everything down.

Now I've got ten minutes, and great... I have to go to another concourse.

I step out and check the monitors, and my second flight is delayed 90 minutes. No problem....

... except that 90 minutes is optimistic. Ends up being almost three hours, during which people are rushing to make connections, failing, and getting very upset.

I finally get home at two in the morning and get to bed at three. Then get up so I can make that 8:30 meeting.

It's almost like being in college, but without the beer [img]smile.gif[/img]
lol! Jees o, that kinda sucks, love your last sentence though!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:42 AM   #10
Link
Jack Burton

I feel sorry for you, Ross, but I guess it's not a KLM thing really. It happens at all kinds of airports throughout the world. I'm just glad it never happened to me [img]smile.gif[/img]

Then again, I haven't flown that much (about 5 times).