Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to this man?
Return to the UK and explain to the police that you've done nothing wrong 13 59.09%
Return to the US under your own steam 3 13.64%
Keep running! 4 18.18%
Stay low and we will extricate you to the US. As an American citizen we will protect you from any charges. 1 4.55%
It's nothing to do with us. You may or may not have commited a crime in the UK 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2003, 02:37 PM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

I'm concerned that this man is discussing with the FBI the best thing to do next. What advice should the FBI give him?

[ 07-15-2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
Rokenn
Galvatron

Given the fact that the girl passed herself off as 18+ (and he can prove it via chat logs of her and his computer) and if a reasonable person would believe that seeing her then I would say he did nothing wrong. Otherwise people would have to start carding their dates

What I find interesting is this bit here:
A senior British official said the case added urgency to legislation intended to outlaw cultivating sexual contacts over the Internet.

This is plain silly, depending on how broad they make it. No more internet dating services for the Brits! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2003, 03:45 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I saw that story on BBC news yesterday. I didn't see a pic of the girl but supposedly she's only 12, so I find it hard to imagine she could look/sound 19.

If he did think (honestly) she was after meeting her, I wonder how he never caught sight of her passport which would indicate birthdate on it. She had to show it in several airports, didn't she?
Old 07-15-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I saw that story on BBC news yesterday. I didn't see a pic of the girl but supposedly she's only 12, so I find it hard to imagine she could look/sound 19.

If he did think (honestly) she was after meeting her, I wonder how he never caught sight of her passport which would indicate birthdate on it. She had to show it in several airports, didn't she?
I've know woman in there mid 20's that looked 12-14. My neice looked 19 when she was 13 (my jaw about dropped on the floor when I saw her.) And if he honestly did believe her way would be try and sneak a peek at her passport.

edit: actually if she had an EU passport and he had an American passport they would have gone through entirely different lines at customs.

[ 07-15-2003, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]
Old 07-15-2003, 04:35 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, if he did nothing wrong, he might just as well return to the UK and explain it to the law overthere. I say this is a bit smelly, even if she "looked" like she was 18.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:39 PM   #6
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Well, if he did nothing wrong, he might just as well return to the UK and explain it to the law overthere. I say this is a bit smelly, even if she "looked" like she was 18.
I agree that is does sound a little fishy but from personal experience (as noted in my previous post) it could have a very innocent explanation. My ex-wife look like a teenager (she was actually only 6 months younger then me). I used to get very dirty looks from some people when we would go out together sometimes.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:45 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
Given the fact that the girl passed herself off as 18+ (and he can prove it via chat logs of her and his computer) and if a reasonable person would believe that seeing her then I would say he did nothing wrong. Otherwise people would have to start carding their dates
But this is EXACTLY what the law is. Statutory rape is a STRICT LIABILITY crime. It does not matter if she lied to you, it does not matter if any reasonable person would believe she's 18. It's still statutory rape. And, you get to be labelled a sex crime offender forever. So, yes, when in doubt -- card you date.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:51 PM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Then by all means do so! After all you have to show ID when buying alcohol even if you look like you're 21 (at least in "respectable" stores). I have never met a 12 year old girl that could pass for being 18-19. Perhaps they could have been able with their looks but not with their maturity and behavior. I find it very hard to believe. But then you believe what you want to. I believe that could explain a lot when it comes to this marine.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:57 PM   #9
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
I have never met a 12 year old girl that could pass for being 18-19. Perhaps they could have been able with their looks but not with their maturity and behavior. I find it very hard to believe. But then you believe what you want to. I believe that could explain a lot when it comes to this marine. [/QB]
Traci Lords was in Penthouse when she was 15 [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2003, 05:01 PM   #10
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Traci Lords was in Penthouse when she was 15 [img]tongue.gif[/img]
As I said above, people believe what they want to. Or homines libenter id quod volunt credunt. Put her to the test and I bet things would have been different.