Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 03-03-2002, 03:28 AM   #1
Saverico
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok Guys. I need advice in choosing a solo character. Why solo. Because i hate those romances and problems with holding a party together. Iam an soloer in my life anyway. So i thought about an thief(maybe assasin) or some sort of fighter or monk. Some sort of magician perhaps, but then a totemic druid or avenger or cleric. Okay. Waiting for your answers.
Saverico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 03:42 AM   #2
duragon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i would go with a thief type character because i see them as a must in a party. things like traps and lockpicking. however a multi class cleric/mage could make a good combination, if it is not too slow making the charater. using spells like find traps and knock (to open locked doors). but it is up to u.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:02 AM   #3
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well you can solo any character... but it varying dificulties with diferent class'. Different people find different class' easier.. Having a theif does mean you gain an access to more areas, but they are alot harder to play in battle IMO. I personally like soloing Elven Fighter/Mages.... purely because I like them.. then there are sorcerers with the 'PRATI' method... ask Dundee Slaytern to explain that method to you in more detail. Then you can have fighters and clerics and what not who pretty well have to take the pain when trying to access trapped areas. Monks can be very good because they are powerful and have find traps... which means you can try to avoiud the traps..... Then you can have a mage/theif which can be very easy to play IMO with the staff of the Magi and backstab.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 06:30 AM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

WELCOME TO IW! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

Hmm, solo character, ehh?
That is always hard to choose.
Well, one class that I think is funny and a bit challenging, is the Monk. They are very good fighters at the higher levels, and have good abilities, like Find Traps.
But then, he cant wear armour, which sometimes can be very bad.
So that brings us back to square 1.
Hmm, then maybe you should try the Cavalier. They are also very good fighters (especially with the Carsomyr), they also have good abilities, like Resist Fear and Detect Evil, they have good immunities, like Fear and Poison, and can wield almost every good weapon and armour through the game. And they only have one bad disadvantage, they cant use bows or other missile weapons.
So, I would maybe choose the Cavalier, with profs like this:
** Two-Handed Sword
* Mace
* Longsword
* Single Weapon Style

That would maybe be a pretty good character.

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 06:09 PM   #5
koconnor100
The Magister

Cleric / theif

covers off healing , some offensive spells, and the important theif abilities. And clerics are half way ok fighters

Cleric/mage/theif would be great, but I don't even know if the combo is permitted

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: koconnor100 ]

Old 03-04-2002, 10:01 AM   #6
Foo
Dungeon Master

I've noticed that a popular choice to solo is a kensai dualled to mage at level 9 or (especially with TOB installed) level 12. Some would consider this the 'easiest' to solo with, although some also think that a sorceror, especially at high levels is no challenge at all.

The Kensai/Mage gets great fighting skills, and can reach very high level magic use. The buffs you can put on your char (Ghost Armour, Tensers Transformation, Prot from Normal/Magic weapons) make you pretty much invincible.

You can 'knock' open or bash the important locks, and just cop the damage from traps.
Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 10:31 AM   #7
Eledenil
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm starting a solo game with a female elven assassin [img]tongue.gif[/img] I'ts one of my favourite kits, along with the archer, so I'm giving it a try.
my stats are:
str 17
dex 19
con 17
int 13
wis 13
cha 10
I know they're pretty average but don't want anything really exagerated as people seem to have when soloing.
Any hints? its the first time I play solo, so I'm not really sure about how difficult I'll find it.

By the way, just one question: is the two handed weapons proficiency only for 2 handed swords? shouldn't it apply to ANY weapon which requires both hands, such as bows and crossbows? I've got one proficiency point remaning and Im nor sure where to put it.

See ya, have fun
Eledenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:55 AM   #8
Nifft the Nimble

quote:
Originally posted by Eledenil:
By the way, just one question: is the two handed weapons proficiency only for 2 handed swords? shouldn't it apply to ANY weapon which requires both hands, such as bows and crossbows? I've got one proficiency point remaning and Im nor sure where to put it.

2-Handed Weapon Style benefits any 2-handed melee weapon, and no missile weapon. Your thief's 2-handed option is: Quarterstaves! I think Quarterstaves are a very good deal for solo thieves. You get a cheap long weapon, you can find good ones early on, you can backstab with them, and they do blunt damage, which you need to kill some golems.

koconner: I think that a cleric/thief would be interesting, but not because of healing. If you're a solo thief, you'll have the Ring of Regeneration as soon as you leave Irenicus' dungeon, and plenty of healing potions before that. Instead, a cleric/thief gets to use helmets, shields and some very good weapons. They can use clubs and quarterstaves to backstab (haven't tried clubs, but many quarterstaves work great). More importantly, though, they get tons of self-buff spells! A Thief benefits greatly from a Call Upon Holy Might or two.

Saverico: You might want to try making your own multi-player party. It's useful sometimes to have more than one character. A Fighter/Thief and a Mage/Cleric OR Cavalier and Bounty Hunter would be a good minimal party in my opinion, but a party of an Avenger, Thief/Illusionist, Sorcerer and Cavalier would be more well-rounded. (Make the Avenger the protagonist: only he can become the Great Druid, and that is worth more than any other stronghold. Five extra level 5, 6 and 7 spells! Woo-hoo!) (As to why an Avenger over all other Druids: the Avenger gets some good spells. Other Druids get either better shapechanging or bonus summons, both of which become useless at high (ToB) levels, when you can summon Elememtal Princes and turn into a Fire Elemental yourself.)

-- Nifft

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: Nifft the Nimble ]

Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 06:09 PM   #9
hagimihale
Manshoon

I concur with Nifft on soloing a cleric/druid - there are so many potions of healing in the game that healing spells are almost obsolite (since you won't be sharing them with any NPCs)... but that being said, there ARE some sweet spells to be had.

I like the option of using a thief multiclass: (1) experience for find and remove traps, (2) hide in shadows and backstab - these make it worthwhile. Thief/Mage (my current game) is very effective and a lot of fun.

However, I also think that using a thief multiclass is an easier route than a straight character of any kind, for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Soloing a Bard would seem to be a decent challenge... but I don't know if I'd enjoy that in ToB given that you are limited to 6th level spells. The suggestion to solo a Monk also appeals to me - that character (along with Bounty Hunter and Assassin) would be likely candidates to live a life by themselves...

At mid-range levels, most of the traps I encountered didn't seem to really affect me (once the saving throws get pretty low) so that might not be as big a deal as I first thought.

Just try some different characters and see what appeals to you. People have different personalities and mesh better with some classes than others (I consider straight fighers boring, myself, and tend to gravitate towards mages). Good luck!
hagimihale is offline   Reply With Quote