Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Default Xbox 360s are weird...

Ok, so I let you all know a few months ago that my Xbox 360 got the red rings of death. We got it back and I was very happy. That was around six weeks ago. Yesterday, the rings came back, but this afternoon, it started working again. Any opinions? Should I send it back to Microsoft anyway, just to make sure?
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Default Re: Xbox 360s are weird...

Don't have one myself. A few minutes with Google seems to point to an overheating issue. Can you move it to a place with better airflow? Is it sitting on a hard floor or a carpet? Can you point a fan at it? If it's still under warranty I'd probably send it back. Did MS give you any explanation of what they did to "fix" it the first time? Or did they just swap you for another unit?

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

They fixed it and sent it back. It's in a pretty well ventilated area, on a wide grille under the TV, open space. I don't know what caused it.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Use it as long as you can, but make sure you save as you play

I have had 3 360's so far, each with the RROD generally a day or two after warranty expires (Lukcily Microsoft still fix them free of charge)
My Elite from about a year ago did exactly the same thing you mentioned, it RROD'd and then worked fine for a while, but it was only about a week before the lights came back and wouldn't go away.

Unfortunately when they are "repaired" it is generally only a motherboard swap with a refurbished model, so it seems the problem can return.
Sorry to hear your having issues, I love my Xbox, so even after going through 3 of them I still keep using it (Though my PS3 generally gets more use now)
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Yeah, I love my Xbox too. Still going ok so far. Hopefully it will stay that way, fingers crossed. I hope I don't have to send it away again, I barely survived the first time without my daily dose of Halo 1-3
Old 09-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I was reading the newest edition of Gameinformer magazine last week and came across a side-by-side comparison of console boxes...and they mentioned that XBox's red ring of death is the top complaint from owners, and that Microsoft needed to get their crap in gear if they wanted to stay in the competition.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I was just talking with a friend whose always up on gaming tech, and he was telling me about that problem a little more in detail just now. He said that the issue stems from a sordering error on the older motherboards that has some connection with the heating, but I did not get him to elaborate. He said that Xbox has gone through three or four motherboards since their commencement, and that the newest (and most stable) one is the 2009 release. Look for that date on the box somewhere.

Now, if you could get your hands on a new motherboard instead of a refurbished one like Hive said you'd get...then you'll be okay.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah mine is broken too. But about the same time it stopped working I dropped something on it. The box is intact but I can't rule out it's related.

Oh well. It lasted almost a whole two years. Guess I have to start saving to pay for possible repairs.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
I was reading the newest edition of Gameinformer magazine last week and came across a side-by-side comparison of console boxes...and they mentioned that XBox's red ring of death is the top complaint from owners, and that Microsoft needed to get their crap in gear if they wanted to stay in the competition.
Ah, the main shills of the gaming retail industry over at Gameinformer (owned and operated by Gamestop) say MS needs to get their act together, liker sooner or LATER right? I bet they still reccomend the system, which is astonishing unless we consumers are also expected to drop our standards that low.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
Yeah mine is broken too. But about the same time it stopped working I dropped something on it. The box is intact but I can't rule out it's related.

Oh well. It lasted almost a whole two years. Guess I have to start saving to pay for possible repairs.
If it has the red rings they automatically extend the warranty to three years. Has it got red rings? Or does it just not work?