Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-21-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Just heard the flash - haven't got any details yet
Old 02-21-2003, 09:16 PM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

Is he going to retire? 12 months does not seem like a long enough ban for someone who should know better. He as single handedly brought down the world wide image of Australia as the uber sports nation on earth.

I have no doubt he was not masking any other drug because of all the previuos drug tests where all ok. We also know that the guys IQ is low, even by his own addmission, but gee was he DUMB or What?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-21-2003, 09:26 PM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Thick certainly, but I hope he doesn't retire. He is at the top of his game again, and will waltz back in to the side if he decides to continue. His potential replacements are nowhere near as good (no matter what Memsie thinks ). If he does retire they may as well have given him the max.

So I expect a press release from Pounding Richard today - he was one who had convicted and sentenced him before the trial.

Saw a good quote today :

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgement. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."

Anyone know the source .
Old 02-21-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I got a news story now - but not much detail :

Shane Warne was found guilty of a drugs charge by an Australian Cricket Board anti-doping committee and suspended for 12 months.

Warne, 33, tested positive for a diuretic on January 22, the day he announced his retirement from one-day cricket.

He claimed to have been given the tablet by his mother Brigitte, who gave evidence in his defence yesterday.

The three-person ACB committee chaired by Queensland judge Glen Williams found the charge against Warne of using a prohibited method to be proven.

The 12-month ban starts on February 10 and rules Warne out of the World Cup and upcoming Test series against the West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, India and Sri Lanka.

Guilty of using a banned method - does that mean there was evidence of the diuretic being used as a masking agent, or lack of evidence that it wasn't? How are the laws framed I wonder - was the onus of proof on Shane or on the prosecution?

[ 02-21-2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Davros ]
Old 02-21-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
Davros
Takhisis Follower

What was just announced was that the simple presence of the diuretic in the sample is considered sufficient proof of the "banned method" charge. Whatever extenuating circumstances that were submitted as evidence were not sufficient to have the charge dismissed. Was then just a matter as to the extent of the ban given the seriousness of the breach. Obviously the panel gave him 1 year - the maximum possible was 2 years, and the minimum possible was (I think) 6 months.

Sad day
Old 02-22-2003, 02:50 AM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

Sad day indeed and yes he was on top of his game again, but a rule is a rule. He got the minimum of what he deserved. He should cop it sweet apologise to the nation, run a coaching clinic at the institute of sport or something like that for a year as way of an added apology to cricket that has looked after him well for so many years.

BET he wont [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2003, 03:03 AM   #7
Gazza
Banned User

I know he's going to appeal but I think if the decision is upheld he'll consider retirement. However David Hookes (Victoria Bushranger's coach) made a good point that if he doesn't retire and uses the 12 months to get his shoulder 100% right then he could come back and play for another four or five years but the danger of that is someone could step up and fill his shoes so well the ACB selectors may not pick him again.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:30 AM   #8
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

[img]smile.gif[/img]

I had no idea what sport you were talking about until I saw Davros´s second post...

Someone please bring cricket to scandinavia.. or wait, maybe not. We like to skiing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2003, 04:54 AM   #9
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Gazza:
I know he's going to appeal .......
Although it may be his right to appeal, I don't believe that he should. He has acted in an unprofessional manner, and should restore some of his credibility by accepting the penalty.

All top level Australian sports persons are continually reminded of their obligations and responsibilities with drug control - they are even issued with a card with a 24 hour drug hotline so that they can check the status ( banned or otherwise ) of any drug they may wish to take.

If any lower penalty is won via an appeal it would make a mockery of Australian sports anti-doping policies.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:37 PM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

Off topic....

News just in that Shoaib Akihtar has just bowled a delivery over 100 mph. [img]graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img] for Pakistan v England. Try batting that dear baseball lovers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/cwc2003...00/2790381.stm

ok back on topic... [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]