Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-05-2002, 09:59 AM   #71
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Quite simply, there are not enough resources on the planet to support everyone at the level of existence I now enjoy. And I'm not about to share.
That's fully understandable, and a vast majority of people feel the same way. It's a social mechanism we have in our consumer society. No major problem.

BUT

It can be changed. We can re-educate the next generation to disable the 'primary goal in life is to collect together as many possessions as possible' instinct of consumerism. This would be difficult/impossible to achieve with the current adult generation, perhaps so even for the next, but if we can instill within today's children a questioning of the value of wealth-hoarding then it becomes all the more likely that their children will do away with consumer-based capitalism (not necessarily capitalism in and of itself).
When society at large no longer wants to bolster it's wealth for the sheer sake of doing so then institutions of economic federalism such as the WTO lose all power.
[/QUOTE]H, dude, you are talking about turning Humans into something not human. You cannot train people not to desire to better their conditon or to improve their standing, you would also have to train out any chance of their being any kind of advances. We have seen what happens when you repress people to the point that they loose any reason for initiative. The result is a stagnant backward society where every one lives to the lowest common standard. Not a good way to go. Personal gain and rewards are at the heart of human advancement.

Old 11-05-2002, 04:53 PM   #72
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Damn, I wish I could have gotten in on this thread from the beginning. You should see things in Southern California. It is amazing how many immigrants are coming up here!

In the Orange County School District (a predominantly afluent and educated area), they project that 56% of the students will be hispanic within the next 5 years. Whites are becoming the minority out here. We really need to rethink government policy on immigration. As of now, if immigrants are caught we just cart them back to the border and tell them not to try again. This might sound cruel, but I think we need to start shooting them. If they have to risk their lives I'm sure they will be much more cautious before attempting running the border. I wish them all well trying to get across legally, but most of them come across, marry someone who's been here, plops out a kid and suddenly they're citizens who are collecting welfare and ruining our health care system.

Don't take me wrong, it's not that I don't like hispanics, I just don't like illegal immigrants hurting our economy and costing Americans jobs. American corporations already send enough business down to Mexico, so we don't need to start bringing Mexico up to America.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 11-05-2002, 05:40 PM   #73
Djinn Raffo
Ra

“The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Old 11-05-2002, 05:44 PM   #74
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Damn, I wish I could have gotten in on this thread from the beginning. You should see things in Southern California. It is amazing how many immigrants are coming up here!

In the Orange County School District (a predominantly afluent and educated area), they project that 56% of the students will be hispanic within the next 5 years. Whites are becoming the minority out here. We really need to rethink government policy on immigration. As of now, if immigrants are caught we just cart them back to the border and tell them not to try again. This might sound cruel, but I think we need to start shooting them. If they have to risk their lives I'm sure they will be much more cautious before attempting running the border. I wish them all well trying to get across legally, but most of them come across, marry someone who's been here, plops out a kid and suddenly they're citizens who are collecting welfare and ruining our health care system.

Don't take me wrong, it's not that I don't like hispanics, I just don't like illegal immigrants hurting our economy and costing Americans jobs. American corporations already send enough business down to Mexico, so we don't need to start bringing Mexico up to America.
While I dont want anyone shot (I know your joking) I agree completely. Its bullshit.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:48 PM   #75
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:

Actually I believe that they are already risking their lives. Many die in the desert, or on I-5 when they make their break to the North, I used to live in Imperial Beach, I used to see them running the highway and thru back yeards every morning. Shooting them isn't an option, however allowing every illegal child into school if they can reach one is also insane, not to mention allowing illegals access to tax payer paid medical treatment, and allowing them to obtain legal drivers license is also nuts. CA. Really needs to come up with a decent way to handle migrant workers.

Old 11-05-2002, 05:52 PM   #76
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
“The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Nice reminder Djin, however those words applied to a different age, no longer is The United States an endless open door, there are limits that any nation cannot surpass. You run out of space, you run out of resources, you cannot limitlessly accept all the worlds cast offs.

Oh and by the way, those words are on a French Gift....a Gift that was not originally ment for the US to start with. I recently read that originally the Statue was supposed to go to some other country, however something changed and it ended up in New York Harbor.

Edit: Perhaps Moiraine knows the whole story, I can't find the reference that I read, so I cannot prove it, or even check to make sure my understandingof it was correct.

[ 11-05-2002, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-05-2002, 06:07 PM   #77
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Those words were written by Emma Lazarus MagiK. She was born in New York.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:23 PM   #78
MagiK

Quote:
I din't say anything about where the words came from [img]smile.gif[/img]

I said where they appeared now....but I guess ...I could be wrong, I was assuming that you were refering to the words on the statue...you could have just been referencing a book. My goof. Actually I don't even really know if they appear on the statue proper or just on a plaque somewhere.
[img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2002, 06:53 PM   #79
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
I din't say anything about where the words came from [img]smile.gif[/img]

I said where they appeared now....but I guess ...I could be wrong, I was assuming that you were refering to the words on the statue...you could have just been referencing a book. My goof. Actually I don't even really know if they appear on the statue proper or just on a plaque somewhere.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]I did'nt say anything about the where the words came from originally either MagiK. [img]smile.gif[/img] I just said them. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Besides they are maybe just words on the plaque at the statue like you said. It's not in the constitution or declaration or anything that carries any kind of judicial weight.

Still what greater symbol of America than the Statue of Liberty is there? Must have been put there for a reason.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:55 PM   #80
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Can a nation not say ENOUGH without being berated? Just a thought