Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2002, 02:18 AM   #11
Kezardin
Elminster

Finn,

I give the flail of ages to my best tank and let him lead the way, (hasted of course). A succesful 'slow' hit seems to decrease the greater wolfweres regeneration ability. Concentrate on one at a time, tanks bashing away with the best weapons they've got, other characters chipping in with enchanted missile weapons, melfs minute meteors, magic missiles and so on.

The spell 'slow' also works but I find it's easier to use the FOA [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you're a bit light in magic weapons there's a +1 bastard sword that's +3 against shapeshifters, and flame tongue +1 (available in the druid grove) is a +2 versus regenerating creatures.

Kez
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 02:46 AM   #12
uss
20th Level Warrior

i have this damn bug too. i killed them with cheating(sob! without getting the exp points!)
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 02:58 AM   #13
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

just 6 against one... and all with insanity in mind... that's it... if its bugged.. well.. censored..

[ 12-28-2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 08:59 AM   #14
Nerull
Lord Ao

They are very tough (in fact, I think they are among the toughest monsters in the game). However, if you use strategy, they can be defeated.

1. DO THEM ONE AT A TIME!!!!!! I can't emphasize that enough.
2. SAVE YOUR GAME BEFORE DOING THEM!!!! Ditto.
3. If you plan to go toe-to-toe with them, then you want your fastest, most damaging enchanted weapons on your fighters that they can use. You also want to BUFF UP YOUR PARTY before the fight. Chant is good, as is defensive harmony (-2 AC bonus for your party) and protection from evil 10'r (-2 to its attack rolls). Also, some of the clerical buffs (Righteous Magic, Draw Upon Holy Might, etc.) really turn your cleric into a tank. Some form of haste is vital; Improved Haste on every member of your party is the best you can get. Have all of your wizards cast Melf's Minute Meteors. Then SAVE YOUR GAME, and send someone in to draw one out. Hit it hard, hit it fast, and don't stop until it is dead. Use your healing potions if necessary; just keep hitting it until it drops. Once the greater ones are gone, the regular ones are easy.

4. Alternately, you could rest, memorize instant death spells (disintegrate is good, considering the drop their treasure where they change forms), and some solid summon spells. Chromatic Orbs are also cheap death spells once you hit 12th level in mage. Greater Malison and Lower Resistance also work nicely. Just summon some creatures, send them forward to draw it it out. Then hit with Lower Resistance and Greater Malison. Finally, hit it with every single instant death spell you have until it drops.

I prefer #3 to #4 myself, simply because I am more of a fighting-oriented player.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 05:00 PM   #15
Big Red
Dungeon Master

My solo Cleric/Mage had lots of trouble with those greater wolfweres as well. By contrast, Firkrag was a piece of cake.

I read somewhere here on ironworks that greater wolfweres regain all their hitpoints at the end of a round - in other words you have to kill them in one round, else all you hits get wasted.

Unfortunately I didnt have the ideal spells memorized and had to improvise with what I had left (I had used about half, so didnt want to rest for just a few wolfs).

I tried loads of spells to start with: Holy Smite, Sunfire, Horrid Wilting, Flame Strike, ... Every time they seemed to have Magic Resistence and I certainly didnt have enough spells to lower all their MR, so it had to be physical combat.

First off I tried summoning something like 3 lesser fire elementals, a skeleton warrior and an aerial servant, and tried picking on one greater wolfwere at a time. Trouble was that the summoned creatures had a mind of their own and seemed to turn on whoever was attacking them - they wouldnt do what I wanted and just attack the one greater wolfwere I wanted them to. Needless to say we died several times with the same tactics.

I didnt have Haste available, so I did what you have to do at a pinch: summon 5 creatures, and lure the greater wolfweres away one at a time. It still wasnt easy, but after several attempts there were 3 dead greater wolfweres and about 10 to 12 dead summoned creatures.

It was probably the hardest fight my cleric/mage has had so far (now in Chapter 5), although with my previous team I didnt even realize GWs were difficult (Monk, Korgan, Jaheira, Viconia, Edwin and Yoshi).
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 06:20 AM   #16
Anarion

quote:
Originally posted by Kmazi:
CALM DOWN...

Greaterwolfweres have an inate property to piss off people (ok not really), but they also regenerate very quickly making them hard to take down, try your tactic over again, but also have all your tanks goin in, also, HASTE!!!, maybe a chant if you have Aerie (it give bonuses to attack rolls).

bottomline- your tactics + enchant up to wazzoo+ inhibit the enenmy anyway you can (heck even try to charm them with domination or mental domination)= dead greater wolfies.

also it depends on levels, i mean i went there after the underdark and i beat those with Minsc + Fire Elemental + Morkainden's swords (2)

Who is Nizidramanii'yt? (its on yer sig)
Old 02-18-2002, 07:56 AM   #17
Ceridan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

SPOILER
* Nizidramanii'yt is the black dragon you fight in the woods outside of Suldanessellar.
END SPOILER
Ceridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:57 AM   #18
Whailor

This must be a bug. They do have the good regen rate, but it still takes SOME time to get some amount of HP back. What was it called, a round? And one round is like 6 seconds? So it's "insane" regen is, just as an example, say, 10 HP after each 6 seconds? That would still let you beat them senseless easily. I have been through there few times and never had the issue with them, they fell like anything else, fast and painful way.

However, I have seen this issue reported some 1-2 times, which makes me think it's some sort of bug you got there. I don't know what may cause this, but you can try to exit the game before you fight them, reboor (never hurts a Windows machine ) and then go back to game and load the game, and try again. If it still occurs, apply the patch if you haven't done it already. Despite their good regen rate, it shouldn't be such an insta-heal as you are facing.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:25 AM   #19
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

i also had no trouble beating the GW's.my parties tend to be top heavy in tanks though.hasted with best weapons equiped....as darth vader said:all to easy.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:22 AM   #20
hagimihale
Manshoon

spoilers below...

I think I also have the same bug. I am soloing a female Elven Mage/Thief (15th/18th level when I encountered the Greater Wolfweres). Staff of Magi, Boots of Speed, Robe of Vecna and Celestial Fury are a sweet combination! =)

Anyway, just couldn't seem to beat these guys - the regeneration rate was too fast. So I set a trap for them in the first room (where the orc archers shoot at you from both sides) of the inner dungeon. Went back there and set a couple of spike traps down the left side. Lured them back to the room and the traps took one out and put a 2nd low enough for me to whack him myself. I used a potion of frost giant strenght (Use any Item ability is nice too!) and backstab to beat the 3rd Wolfwere.

One thing I noticed when using Celestial Fury on them - even when they get stunned they still regenerate fully. It took me about 6 or 7 restarts to beat them. Conversely, I beat Firkraag on my 2nd try. (this is my 4th time through the game). Very challenging...
hagimihale is offline   Reply With Quote