Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-27-2002, 06:43 PM   #1
DarkLocket
Elite Waterdeep Guard

when my char tells the familiar to come out of the backpack, it disappears but no familiar appears on the screen. Then when i try to find another one, it says that I already have one. any fix for this? editor maybe?

I think I understand what happened.

My party was unbalance properly when we started the game which was resulting in alot of deaths. I removed my protagonist cleric/mage in place for my invoker that has about he same xp. When I exported my invoker from that game I forgot to put the familiar in the backpack and imported her to the unbalance party. It now thinks I have one even tho its not in the backpack or on the screen. After making a change to the baldur.ini file I was able to use a cheat to create one on the screen. Im able to talk to it and put it in me backpack. But it disappears on removable. Also, trying to select the familiar with the party doesnt work.

To try and fix this I have created new mage chars to put in place of the invoker that I know are able to summon but fail to summon a familiar. But, I can take the invoker and put them in a different game which works fine. Basically I just need to find the code that tells the saved game that I have a familiar, shut it off. And then using the spell again which at that point should work correctly.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I could fix this by going back to the old game and starting over, but my party has done a few more quest making it alot of work to backup and fix this without losing my place in the game.

thanks
DarkLocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:18 PM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

AT a guess, I would say to look for anything called "familiar.*" or similar in the override directory, and delete it. This will fix your problem I think
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 10:16 AM   #3
Erydian
Manshoon

I had a similar problem in my game. I don't want to give anything away in this post (game-wise), so let me simply say that my at some point in the game, my alignment changed (legitimately). At the time, I had a familiar summoned and in my backpack.

After the alignment change, I noticed that my familiar type had not updated (different alignments get different familiars). Puzzled by this, I tried to release my familiar. I was able to release it, but the minute I put it back into my inventory, it changed into yet another type of familiar, and still not the correct one for my alignment. Furthermore, I could no longer release the familiar.

I've tried summoning the correct familiar, but as you've found, the game obviously thinks I've already got one (and I do, just not the right one, and one that only works once).

I did submit this in a bug report to Bioware, and they replied confirming that it was a problem in the game (something due to the way familiars check your alignment to determine dialog options), but didn't give me a fix for it.

Now that I've started learning the Infinity Engine, I'm wondering if there isn't something that I can do on my own to fix this, but I'm still not certain what. If I could delete my current familiar, I would probably be able to summon the correct one. I've already finished the game in question, but I'd still be interested in knowing how yours worked out. [img]smile.gif[/img] If I get a chance, I'll load it up and see what I can do - anything I find I'll post here if you're still having problems with this.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]

Old 01-29-2002, 06:14 AM   #4
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
AT a guess, I would say to look for anything called "familiar.*" or similar in the override directory, and delete it. This will fix your problem I think

for god's sake don't delete stuff from your override without knowing exactly what you're doing.

familiars are a pain in the butt to mess with. there are three groups according to generic alignment: the dragons, the imps, and the normal creatures. each has its own dialog set, and within that are the specific alignment options so it knows what item to put in your inventory, which consequently determines what pops out when you release it.

use SK to look at your global variables and find one that starts with "fam" (famrab, famfair, etc). toggle it (if it's 1, make it 0. 0>1). then try casting find familiar.