Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 11-26-2001, 09:28 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'm looking for something modern to read in the Fantasy Genre. Any ideas as to what should be my first and why?
Old 11-27-2001, 03:24 AM   #2
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Hi Ronn_BMan [img]smile.gif[/img]

hmmm...well i havent read this dude...but quite a few peeps on this board whose opinion on books i admire have been talkin about this guy called Robin Hobbs. My plate has been too full to check it out yet...but i know that the LoA and Jabidas both like there Hobbs...and im pretty sure that there not the only ones...!

I dont know how the series works, about a character called FitzChivalry ? i think...dont know which book is first etc. But hopefully those two or someone can tell you more...

Now some good sci fi you ask? ...hehehe!
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 06:44 PM   #3
Djinn Raffo
Ra

<H3><font color=silver>doesnt anyone have any ideas for Ronn_BMann</font></h3>
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 09:36 AM   #4
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
<H3><font color=silver>doesnt anyone have any ideas for Ronn_BMann</font></h3><hr></blockquote>

I hear and obey, oh master [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you like humor with your fantasy, try Piers Anthony's 'Xanth" series or Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series. Some here might recommend Glen Cook's 'Black Company' series, and, while I enjoyed it, I prefer his 'Garret, P.I.' stories instead. Try Stephen Brust's 'Vlad Taltos' stories, or his 'Phoenix Guard' tales for something that's a little more swashbuckling in nature. One of my personal favorites is Roger Zelazny's 'Amber' chronicles - although he's been dead for around 5 years I hope he's modern enough for you.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:35 AM   #5
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

Thomas Covenant (The chronicles of) by Stephen Donaldson.
Riftwar Saga by Feist
Belgariad series by D. Eddings

all good but Donaldson is superb.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:16 PM   #6
Zbyszek

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Desuma Malevois:

If you like humor with your fantasy, try Piers Anthony's 'Xanth" series or Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series. Some here might recommend Glen Cook's 'Black Company' series, and, while I enjoyed it, I prefer his 'Garret, P.I.' stories instead. Try Stephen Brust's 'Vlad Taltos' stories, or his 'Phoenix Guard' tales for something that's a little more swashbuckling in nature. One of my personal favorites is Roger Zelazny's 'Amber' chronicles - although he's been dead for around 5 years I hope he's modern enough for you.
<hr></blockquote>

I HAVE TO SAY - YES!!!
Zelazny and Amber, yes!! Glen Cook - serie about Garret - this is almost Chandler. Dark Company if you wish to know dark side of human nature.
Pratchett - more than fun, everyone should try
Eddings - Belgariad serie is good, next series are worse.

(OK, there are about 70 books above in these series )
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 02:52 PM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

My stock answer is to borrow a couple of compilations of short stories by modern fantasy writers, get to know the styles and subjects they cover, then go for some of the full length novels.

Oh, and for my recommendation. Try Simon R Green especially the "Hawk & Slayer" series or a book called "Shadows Fall"

Happy hunting [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 05:21 PM   #8
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BALROGBANE:
Thomas Covenant (The chronicles of) by Stephen Donaldson.
Riftwar Saga by Feist
Belgariad series by D. Eddings

all good but Donaldson is superb.
<hr></blockquote>

I agree with the Donaldson, but you might find it slow going through the first book and a half. After that it really picks up.
Old 11-30-2001, 05:25 PM   #9
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zbyszek:

I HAVE TO SAY - YES!!!
Zelazny and Amber, yes!! Glen Cook - serie about Garret - this is almost Chandler. Dark Company if you wish to know dark side of human nature.
Pratchett - more than fun, everyone should try
Eddings - Belgariad serie is good, next series are worse.

(OK, there are about 70 books above in these series )
<hr></blockquote>

Y'know, Zbyszek, I've noticed in your posts that you and I have a lot of the same tastes in reading materials. I congratulate you on your good taste [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2001, 05:36 PM   #10
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mouse:
...Oh, and for my recommendation. Try Simon R Green especially the "Hawk & Slayer" series or a book called "Shadows Fall"

Happy hunting [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

Actually, it's Hawk and FISHER, although, with those two, you could also say 'Slayer & Slayer' [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is also an excellent choice - the H&F novels that Green wrote around ten years ago were recently collected into two paperback omnibuses. If you get them, make sure you also pick up his two 'Blue Moon' novels (you'll find out why! )