Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 01-31-2002, 07:22 PM   #1
Erydian
Manshoon

After recently hearing the good news that NWN seems to be on schedule, and its release date isn't all that far off, I thought I'd start thinking about my character. Given the fact that it is a multi-player game, and that many people are putting together some very impressive settings (the dark elf city of Tzach Neveril looks great btw [img]smile.gif[/img] ) I figured the sooner I started figuring out my character the better.

Unfortunately, I'm completely unfamiliar with 3rd edition rules, and about the only thing that I do understand about them, is that they apparently change quite a bit. It has been a long time since I've participated in any sort of AD&D campaign, far longer than I would like, and I haven't really had a chance to take a serious look at any of the 3rd edition rulebooks (and there really hasn't been a point up until now, I haven't had the opportunity to play).

I've done some web searches, as well as a forum search, but all I seem to be able find is commentary on 3rd edition rules, or examples of classes that people have created. I understand that a great deal of people are opposed to the new rules, and I'd be perfectly happy sticking with my 2nd edition rules myself, except for the fact that in this instance, I can't. [img]smile.gif[/img] Do any of you by chance know of any websites that could assist me in creating my character? I'm assuming that the NWN manual will provide information on this - but I was really hoping to get some sort of a head start.

If all else fails, I will have to try hunting down a 3rd edition sourcebook, but I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:07 PM   #2
ispq
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, you can check out the System Resource Document for the d20 system, which is pretty much fully compatible with Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition. You can find links to the SRD at http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd/ . It's not the same as say having the Player's Handbook layed out in front of you, but it might help you get a feel for the system. I do recommend getting the new D&D Player's Handbook, it has brought a new vigor to D&D that it has been lacking since the early 90's.

To go to real basics, the system hasn't changed that much. You still have races, classes and so forth. Clerics still cast divine magic, Wizards still cast arcane spells. They added a few new character classes, namely the Barbarian and the Sorcerer, and renamed the Thief class to the Rogue class. The Barbarian is a mixture of 1st edition Barbarian and 2nd edition Complete Guide to Barbarians. The Sorcerer is all new, though most folks I know have been playing with something similar for quite some time.

Most of the changes have been to simplify and quantify the system in a consistent manner. All resolutions, from Thief skills, to attack rolls, to profiencies, use the same basic system, a d20 roll plus a modifier, the higher the modified roll the better. Saves were condensed into three rolls, and they now all make sense.

You have a Fortitude roll for attacks made on your physical being, such as poison or energy draining, a Reflex save to avoid things, and a Will save to shrug off mental effects. The saves, like other resolutions, is based on a d20 roll. Your individual Save, such as your Fortitude save, is a modifier to that d20 roll. So you might have the following saves: Fortitude +2, Reflex +1, Will +3.

A thorough and workable skill system has been added, with everyone getting them. Each class gets a certain number of skill points to spend per level, and each point buys a +1 modifier to your skill check. There are more complications to the skill system, but that's the simplified version. Like other resolutions, skills too use a d20 roll + a modifier.

There are no more demi-human level limits. Humans now simply hold an advantage in multi-classing versus other races. Yes, that's right, Humans are now the masters of multi-classing. No more dual-classing nonsense. Basically, if you want to have another class you take your next level in that class. So you might be a human fighter level 2. This means you are a level 2 character with 2 class levels in fighter. When leveling up to level 3 you decide to grip a level of cleric, making you a level 3 character with 2 class levels in fighter and 1 class level in cleric. You receive the full bonuses for both classes, hp's, attack bonus, skills, saves, excetera. You are a Fighter2/Cleric1 character and proud of it. One note is that Never Winter Nights will only allow you to take 3 different classes, to a maximum of 20 levels.

Your favorite six stats are still there, and they mean about the same things. Strength is how strong you are, Intelligence is how smart in book learning and cleverness you are and so. They have simplified the bonuses though. All stats now use the same table:
Stat Modifier
2-3 -4
4-5 -3
6-7 -2
8-9 -1
10-11 -
12-13 +1
14-15 +2
16-17 +3
18-19 +4
20-21 you get the point

This makes everyones life easier for remembering what does what.

While the standard D&D game now uses the 4d6 take highest three arrange stats to tast method, Never Winter Nights will use the system that the RPGA uses for their Living City Campaigns, namely the point buy system from the Dungeon Master's Guide. You get 28 points to buy your stats based on the following prices:
Stat Cost
8 -
9 1
10 2
11 3
12 4
13 5
14 6
15 8
16 10
17 13
18 16

The consequence of this is that you will be using alot of characters with the following stat numbers: 14, 14, 14, 14, 10, 10. This is one of the most efficient use of your points in this system. If you don't believe me, run the numbers yourself. 14 is the highest stat you can buy without paying a premium.

I hope this all helps.
ispq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 06:00 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You will have skills depending on class, race and Int score. You usually get from 2+int modifier to 8+int modifier (+1 for humans every level) when you go up in a class to buy skills for. You get 4 times this number when you create your character. Don´t know how the skills will work in NWN, some are hard to implement.. :S

You will also have the possibility to multicalss freely as a human, in 3:ed rules you can choose any class as favoured and that one won´t count when you keep the balance score. (No class can be2 higher then the rest because then you will have a XP loss that increases if you have three unbalanced classes). Elves, dwarves, halflings half-orcs have one prechoosened favoured class. Elves for example has wizard. (The different types of elves have differencies)

The other races also get + to skills and some abilities and minus on some other.

You will also get an ability modifier each 4th level. +1 at lvl 4, another +1 at level 8 and so on)

You will also have a general feat every third level. Some classes get bonus feats as for example fighters that gets alot of feats. Some classes have special abilities like rouges, druids and Bards.

All start with one feat except humans that starts with 2.

Well I hope this helps you a bit. If you have more questions, just ask away!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 04:43 PM   #4
Erydian
Manshoon

Thanks for the replies, both of you. I really appreciate it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You did an excellent job explaining things - I can't think of any questions atm, though I think I will take your advice and check out the Handbook (and sift through the System Resource document - never knew that existed, and I've been to the WOTC site many times lol). At least I can start thinking about what I want to play. I'd originally considered just importing my BG2 character over, but with the new multi-classing, I'm not so sure anymore (not to mention I'm still curious to see how the game will convert 2nd edition to 3rd).

It does seem that things are a lot simpler (and easier to remember) now. No need to have ten different dice, for instance - which of course makes me grumble about my collection (you wouldn't believe the trouble I went through to get my 100 sided die). All of this really makes me miss PnP - hopefully NWN will be as good as I'm hoping it will be.

Thanks again!

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]