Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #151
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Default Re: World cup

It's not actually cheating, it's a last resort. If you do that, knowing that it will result in a red card AND a penalty, it's a well thought through action. Of course it's not allowed, but he took one for the team and the nation so to speak. As a result he can't play against Holland, and he will be severely missed. But at least Uruguay are through, and you can hardly blame Suarez for Ghana being terrible at penalties.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #152
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

It is cheating IMO. Anytime you try to gain an advantage for yourself which is against the rules, it's cheating. What he did was not within the rules of the game. He cheated, won his team an advantage by protecting the goal, he got caught and punished according to the rules of the game, the Ghanaians were unable to take advantage. End of. Just because you got caught and punished doesn't change the fact that it's cheating. Good luck to him - he took a chance knowing that he would pay a penalty for what he did, he denied Ghana a clear goal and Ghana weren't able to get it back via the penalty. Good on him for now, he got his team into the semi but Holland may and probably will take advantage of his absence in the next match.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #153
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Germany caning the Argies 4-0

This German side really does remind me of the great Dutch sides of the 80s and 90s. Great on the counter, holds possession well, and solid at the back. The Argies made a run at them towards the end of the 1st half and early in the 2nd but they soaked up the pressure. They have so much more mobility than any other side in the tournament I've seen yet. Can't believe they lost to Serbia lol.

So the two big South American powerhouses are gone...I don't think Paraguay can beat Spain though you never know, and without the cheater I think Uruguay will do it tough against a Holland side peaking at the right time.

Though I'd like Spain to make the final I can't see them getting past Germany. My prediction for a final is Netherlands - Germany. The old holders of the Total Football title against the new.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #154
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Has anyone noticed the soccer ball icon on many (maybe all) youtube videos now? When you click it you hear nothing but the damned horns going off. Officially, youtube has stated they put that there to show how annoying they are and as a kind of joke. People who click it are instantly annoyed. I can say that I am.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/23/bzz...ton-seriously/
Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #155
Kezardin
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
Germany caning the Argies 4-0
No Maradona running nekkid through the streets !
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #156
Kezardin
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Has anyone noticed the soccer ball icon on many (maybe all) youtube videos now? When you click it you hear nothing but the damned horns going off. Officially, youtube has stated they put that there to show how annoying they are and as a kind of joke. People who click it are instantly annoyed. I can say that I am.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/23/bzz...ton-seriously/
Blatters' legacies from World Cup 2010 - vuvuzulas and a refusal to use goal-line technologies or instant replays
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #157
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Though I'd like Spain to make the final I can't see them getting past Germany. My prediction for a final is Netherlands - Germany. The old holders of the Total Football title against the new.
It would be great. But I'm sure Spain is better than they've shown in the match against Paraguay.

Let's wait what squid Paul means .
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #158
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
It is cheating IMO. Anytime you try to gain an advantage for yourself which is against the rules, it's cheating. What he did was not within the rules of the game. He cheated, won his team an advantage by protecting the goal, he got caught and punished according to the rules of the game, the Ghanaians were unable to take advantage. End of. Just because you got caught and punished doesn't change the fact that it's cheating. Good luck to him - he took a chance knowing that he would pay a penalty for what he did, he denied Ghana a clear goal and Ghana weren't able to get it back via the penalty. Good on him for now, he got his team into the semi but Holland may and probably will take advantage of his absence in the next match.
I agree that it is cheating, and that he knew it what the penalty of his actions was. If you think about, this guy single-handedly cheated an entire country out of a shot at a title. If this was an exhibition match, I would say that a two game suspension would be fair. But at this level of play, this guy should be banned for at least 4 years, including the next tournament (assuming Uruguay was to qualify). Other great players would never, ever, consider doing something this despicable.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #159
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I agree that it is cheating, and that he knew it what the penalty of his actions was. If you think about, this guy single-handedly cheated an entire country out of a shot at a title. If this was an exhibition match, I would say that a two game suspension would be fair. But at this level of play, this guy should be banned for at least 4 years, including the next tournament (assuming Uruguay was to qualify). Other great players would never, ever, consider doing something this despicable.
If you choose to break a rule where the penalty is a known quantity, then you have made an informed decision. I counsel people to break rules often, it's a cost-benefit analysis. The people who make the rules can't then decry "no fair" when someone chooses to break them and pay the penalty.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #160
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I agree that it sucks, especially if you're Ghana, but I *really* don't consider it cheating. It's no different than deliberate fouls in basketball in the last few minutes of a game or tripping or holding someone on a breakaway in hockey.

Well, there *is* one major difference... this penalty carries over to the next game. In the other sports, the penalty ends after the penalty shot / free throws is/are taken.

I would hate to be the guy that muffed the PK... but after all, only 70% or so go in, on average. Ghana should have won with that PK.

I can see the argument for saying that since it was a goal-line hand ball, considering it a goal. But that would require football to make major rule changes... heck, this world cup got them to consider replay! One major earth-shattering move at a time...

Hmmm... where'd I put that sarcasm button? Methinks I needs it... or a stiff drink
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote