Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Question Mark Online RPG's etc

I downloaded the D&D one on the weekend. I saw it free on Celestial Heavens. I got past the tutorial and it just kept crashing.
It was real-time, which I really struggle with anyway. Are there any online RPG's out there, which are turn-based? I know this would probably rule most, if not all of 'em.

Last edited by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood; 09-15-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Online RPG'ss etc

Not that I know of. Turn-based MMO's are sorta contradictory. I guess you may find some online-capable strategy games, but they either suck because of content or haven't gained enough traction to make a dent in the market. Basically, turn based stuff is is best left to SPer atm.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I remember many years back there exist some turn based rpgs that were played on the web browser, you don't have to download anything. It's entirely text based, meaning there's no picture at all.

I forgot the names though. I don't even know if such games still exist.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Kezardin
Elminster

Atlantica Online is a turn based freebie. May have problems with brand new PCs though :

http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/default.asp
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Online RPG's etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
I downloaded the D&D one on the weekend. I saw it free on Celestial Heavens. I got past the tutorial and it just kept crashing.
It was real-time, which I really struggle with anyway. Are there any online RPG's out there, which are turn-based? I know this would probably rule most, if not all of 'em.
What kind of game are you looking for? RPG? Shooter? Let us know. Also, take a look at the system requirements for any game you DL, and make sure your rig can handle it. Runes of Magic was pretty good, but their business model is to be free for ordinary gear... but real money for the higher grade items. Still, it was interesting till I got to where you pretty much needed to have a party to progress. I don't do raiding parties. Here's the link for RoM..http://us.runesofmagic.com/us/index.html

BTW, 'most' online games are designed to be able to be run on PC's from the last 2-3 years. But you still may have graphical issues if you don't have a "gamer" quality video card. If you "do" have a gamer video card, make sure your drivers are up-to-date and your DirectX is latest.

Also, D&D Online pretty much requires a party to do just about any adventuring. That's it's big weakness for a loner like me, the ole D&D rock-paper-scissors setup; gotta have a Thief, but the thief can't Tank, the Tank can't cast spells, and the Magic-user can't cure wounds, so you need a Cleric. Good Luck!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezardin View Post
Atlantica Online is a turn based freebie. May have problems with brand new PCs though :

http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/default.asp
My PC is about 6 years old with upgraded video (256 mb Geforce 6200OC) 1 GIG of RAM and a newer HDD.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Online RPG's etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
What kind of game are you looking for? RPG? Shooter? Let us know. Also, take a look at the system requirements for any game you DL, and make sure your rig can handle it. Runes of Magic was pretty good, but their business model is to be free for ordinary gear... but real money for the higher grade items. Still, it was interesting till I got to where you pretty much needed to have a party to progress. I don't do raiding parties. Here's the link for RoM..http://us.runesofmagic.com/us/index.html

BTW, 'most' online games are designed to be able to be run on PC's from the last 2-3 years. But you still may have graphical issues if you don't have a "gamer" quality video card. If you "do" have a gamer video card, make sure your drivers are up-to-date and your DirectX is latest.

Also, D&D Online pretty much requires a party to do just about any adventuring. That's it's big weakness for a loner like me, the ole D&D rock-paper-scissors setup; gotta have a Thief, but the thief can't Tank, the Tank can't cast spells, and the Magic-user can't cure wounds, so you need a Cleric. Good Luck!
RPG would be my first pick. Wizardry 8, the M&M series etc. I really like strategy as well. Heroes of M&M the Disciples series etc. Not a big fan of shooters.

I did not even think about requirements for the D&D game. The tutorial ran very smoothly though.

I really prefer solo solo; at least until I'm very familiar with my surroundings.

I'll see how new my video driver is. DirectX should be up-to-date.

Yeah, I was disappointed that I could not roll stats for the Dwarven Cleric I created on the D&D site.

I'll check out the links...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
My PC is about 6 years old with upgraded video (256 mb Geforce 6200OC) 1 GIG of RAM and a newer HDD.
The Geforce 6200 series came out in 2004, you may want to get something slightly newer, as the 6200 series wasn't raved over on it's 3D ability.

I would also try to get my RAM to 2GB's, if your MB can handle it.

You do that, and I would bet D&D Online will stop crashing.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

A Nvidia 6800 should be fine, and will cost $50ish possibly less. Even a 6600 but that is pushing it. I'd say 1g ram on a 6 yr old mobo is sufficient too for DDO. I'm suggesting upgrades bearing in mind it's a 6 year old rig, and that you may be getting a new system soon. It will bottleneck you if not.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

It's really time for a serious upgrade. All of the work around the house this Summer has set that back though. I have the $3200 M/C bill to prove it.

I won't bother with little upgrades at this point. It's time for a new MB and processor. The AMD 2500+ Barton has done well though..

The Runes Of Magic site looks very enticing. I could not find any info on system requirements though. I'm gonna have a look at WoW as well. Obviously, it's a big hit and there will be some familiar folk there, like LoA