Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Jewel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default BG1 - Unable to enter Fireleaf Forest

I am unable to enter Fireleaf Forest. Every time I try I get "insert disk 3" and then the game refuses to recognise any of the disks.

The disks work fine for any other location they are required for (so far).

I've tried all three disks, just in case it was looking for the wrong thing, but no luck.

I've tried entering the area from other locations but that doesn't seem to work either (I haven't tried all possible start points). I've even tried from the Lighthouse area but to no avail.

Can you suggest anything?
Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: BG1 - Unable to enter Fireleaf Forest

The only idea I have is to un-install the game and then do a full-install of the game. That way, you won't have to change the disc in the first place. When you say the game doesn't recognize any of the discs, do you mean only in-game, or if you insert a disc while the game is not open, the computer doesn't recognize it?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Jewel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi and thanks for responding.

I'm pretty sure I did a full install at the outset (but I could be wrong...) I started a game a week or so back following installation and I know I did all of the areas at the south end of the main map. After a chat with a friend I decided to start again and build my party a bit more intelligently and since then I've been having problems.

Since posting I've tried a few experiments. When I start the game I am asked for disc 6 which is actually the 3rd of the three disks I have. This seems to work fine.

I travelled to Nashkel Mines (haven't been there before) and had no problem since it didn't require an alternative disk. Tried to enter the store cabin at the top of the map and had to abort again because it wanted "disk 2" and refused to recognise either of the other disks.

I've rebooted my laptop just in case it was throwing a wobbly but that hasn't changed anything.

Ooh... Shiny!

Jewel
Old 01-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Lord

Open your baldur.ini in the main BGI directory and check for a line saying:

Install Type=

This should be towards the top of the list. That number will tell you what type of install you have done. If it says Install Type=3, then you have done a full install.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 AM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Tacked Note Re: BG1 - Unable to enter Fireleaf Forest

There have been numerous reports of bugs in the "Original Saga" (3-disc) version, but as I don't have that version, I've never really paid attention to what those bugs were. Regardless, it sounds like the likely culprit is that the .ARE file for the map area is corrupted. If you're lucky, it got corrupted during the install, in which case an uninstall & reinstall might fix it. But if the disc itself is corrupted, you're just plain out of luck.

Questions:
How old are the discs?
Where the heck did you get the name "Fireleaf Forest?" The only two forests even mentioned in the game are the Cloakwood and the Wood of Sharp Teeth.

Directions:
1) Do a full install.
2) Go to BioWare.com, find, download, and install the official patch for your version of the game.
3) Google the word "BaldurDash" and download & install the BaldurDash patch for your version of the game. [ADD:] The name "mrkevvy" comes to mind as part of BaldurDash's URL.

Last edited by SixOfSpades; 01-04-2008 at 02:26 AM.
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Jewel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Smiley Re: BG1 - Unable to enter Fireleaf Forest

Many thanks to all of you.

I took the advice and tried reinstalling and that does seem to have done the trick - I'm wandering about trying all the areas that were causing trouble yesterday and so far so good

Jewel
Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOfSpades View Post
Where the heck did you get the name "Fireleaf Forest?" The only two forests even mentioned in the game are the Cloakwood and the Wood of Sharp Teeth.
I too am quite curious about this. Even after reading a lof about the Sword Coast, I don't recall stumbling over any Fireleaf Forest references. Please?
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Yeah, at first I thought it was a DSotSC area, but then I thought, "If he's only on his 2nd party, it's not likely that he's installed a huge mod already," and "Why would a mod area be asking for a BioWare CD in the first place?"
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
Ilyich
Dungeon Master

The Dudleyville walkthrough calls AR5300 "Fire Leaf Forest." It's the area with Sendai, the Bracers of Archery and a hidden Cloudkill scroll.
Ilyich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:17 AM   #10
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
The Dudleyville walkthrough calls AR5300 "Fire Leaf Forest." It's the area with Sendai, the Bracers of Archery and a hidden Cloudkill scroll.
Well, then the question is, where does the Dudleyville walkthrough get that reference from? Most of the areas don't have names AFAIK, so I name them by the major 'attraction' there, like the archaeological mining site.

Maybe the names were found in code.