Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2003, 11:12 PM   #11
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

10 gig sounds just right to be for winxp. im serious for that. just curious.. how about the other programs in your program files? is it in another drive letter?

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-21-2003, 07:04 AM   #12
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
You really should designate at least 10 gigs for XP.
Intresting suggestion,
but what do you suggest I do when i have a 6 gig hard drive. Personally for me it works fine, although i do occasionally get a box saying "windows is increasing you virtual memory" but apart from that it works great.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:59 AM   #13
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Intresting suggestion,
but what do you suggest I do when i have a 6 gig hard drive. Personally for me it works fine, although i do occasionally get a box saying "windows is increasing you virtual memory" but apart from that it works great.
dont get winxp. win2000 or win98 should be sufficient for a 6gig.. although you can only have a limited no. of games.

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-21-2003, 08:09 AM   #14
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

If you're talking about max size then 4 or 5GB should be plenty for windows XP - provided of course that your applications go on a seperate partition - this makes more sense as you have less MBs to defrag on your windows partition.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-21-2003, 09:57 AM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

From an IT guy's perspective, I do not allow windows to manage swap space. I set a fixed-size swap file (between 1-3 time the actual memory, depending), and leave it there.

If it needs to increase swap, it will tend to do so at the most inopportune times. I think that's Bill's Corollary to Murphy's Law. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'd also check the size of your temporary internet file space. The IE default is 10% of your drive... yes, ten whopping percent. I prefer to give it 100MB -- do I really need more than 100 MB of browsing history? I don't think so, Tim...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:34 AM   #16
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

LoL! I keep WinXP tight on a leash, tied to a pole like a dog where I stand next to it with a big large baseball-bat in my hand, ready to pound in its head like nobody's business. (NOTE: I don't like dogs, but I do not hurt them, do not acuse me of dog-molesting, because this is just an example, not based on reality, dogs and I have an understanding of staying as far away from each other as possible).

Serious, WinXP needs to be controlled and caged like an animal (see above). I give it 4 gigs of space on a seperate partition. I deactivate/uininstall EVERYTHING of which microsoft says that it's supposed to help you....
I keep my program files on another seperate partition of another 4 gigs. Whenever I re-install winXP (like every other month), it's also format D: /q !!
No residu garbage on my disks. Then I have two seperate disks on which I dump everything else: music, games, movies, whatever: stuff thats supposed to stay on the disk, things I wanna save. This type of dictatorship has served me well for the last 4 years (indeed, before XP too). Never had any troubles or whatever. I don't believe that MS is capable of making software that works according to the general demands, so one needs to take the heft into their own hands.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:37 AM   #17
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Okay...I know Windows like consuming space, but just using up a gig in a few months? Man...

The restore function...yeah...how do I turn it off? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Thanks! I've also forgotten how to access the swap file window...

Oh, and I only have WinXP devoted to the 3GB partition. Everything else is on its own respective partition.

LOL, the recycle bin...I empty it everytime I delete something...I'm not that forgetful!

And, um...what's a page file? And how do I empty it? Cheers!

And finally, how do I change the Internet temp file settings and the swap file idea? Thanks a lot for bearing with me!

EDIT: Whoops...I just found out my temporary files only use upo to 63MB...I guess that's enough, and I shouldn't need to change that, right? And yes, I've emptied it...

[ 11-21-2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: slicer15 ]
Old 11-21-2003, 02:34 PM   #18
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Check out http://www.tweakxp.com. They have lots of suggestions and walk throughs for removing unnecessary services such as System Restore. I'd strongly recommend keeping system restore around though. While it eats disk space, it can certainly save your a$$ sometimes. Hard disks are so cheap right now, you might as well give yourself plenty of space. I personally have 2 250 gb SATA drives. One for operating systems and program installations, and one for multimedia -mp3's, movies, and temporary files.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition