Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-08-2003, 12:06 AM   #1
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

yes, im bugging people for tech help yet again *runs away from the thrown tomatoes*

Anyone know how i might go about removing a subtitle, editing it, and puting it back in?

from what ive been told by people ive asked prior they say its either impossible or extremely hard, and they didnt know how to do it
Old 07-08-2003, 01:26 AM   #2
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

It's not easy if you've never done anything like this before. First you have to have a video capture device to import the video to your computer. Once the video is on your computer, you will need a video editing program such as Premier or Final Cut to edit the frames in which you want the subtitles changed. There are usually 30 frames per second in standard video and you will have to manually edit every frame you want changed. There are easier alternatives, but they cost a great deal of money.

It is not all that hard, but it will be extremely time consuming and even more so if you've never edited video before.

Good luck!
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 07-08-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
Thoran
Galvatron

I'd bet there are high end packages out there that will allow you to mask and edit each block of frames associated with a single subtitle... but I doubt such capability can be had in less than a 5 figure package. It's not really a difficult thing to implement in software, but I've used a number of the less expensive editing suites and I've never run across it (doesn't mean it's NOT there, but I've not seen it).
Old 07-08-2003, 11:34 PM   #4
Charean
Hathor

I really hate to say this - but if you know a friend with a fairly new Mac - talk to them. There is software built in that makes that fairly easy. Called iMovie.

Sorry... I will go back to my cave now...
Old 07-09-2003, 12:37 AM   #5
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

ugh, it just has to be a perk of that ebil OS *glares at windows incompetancy*
well no way im gona fork out cash for a new puter and software just so i can edit a video. i looked to some web sites on that macware and it didnt really give much detail on how they removed the sub. not that it matters tho since i am in no way gona buy that puter.

looks like that premier program costs a lot too

they need to make freeware that does this sort of thing
Old 07-09-2003, 02:23 AM   #6
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
I really hate to say this - but if you know a friend with a fairly new Mac - talk to them. There is software built in that makes that fairly easy. Called iMovie.

Sorry... I will go back to my cave now...
How would you fill in what is behind the subtitles? When you remove the text there will be blank spots behind where the text used to be. You will need to use a relatively powerful editing tool to fill in those blank spots. imovie doesn't do that. I've used imovie and it's not any easier than the rest of the programs out there. Final Cut Pro is actually created by Apple as their professional video editing suite. It is much more powerful than imovie is. Premier is pretty good, but not quite as user friendly as final cut.

For the record there's nothing wrong with Macs. The new G5's look amazing!!!
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 07-09-2003, 08:25 AM   #7
Thoran
Galvatron

I've thought about it a bit and I think that as long as all you're doing is REPLACING the subtitles with your own you could probably use the text tool of Premiere... I think that has the capability of matting the background of the text. Just make sure the area of your new subtitles overlays the old ones and I think it may work for you.

I've liked the look of Apples ever since their new lexan cases came out... darn they look incredible, too bad they're soo darn slow.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:01 AM   #8
Charean
Hathor

Aw man, you called the new mac slow?

Right now it is faster than the fastest PC out there according to Apple when they had an independent company test the two fastest - a Dell and the new Mac G5. Since they had to equalize the tests - they didn't even put the entire amount of RAM in the Mac that it can use. They limited to 2 gigs. Here is the benchmarks from Veritest.

As for iMovie, I stand corrected. You are right, I was thinking of Final Cut Pro.

And I never suggested you buy a Mac for this, just use one from a friend. Sorry I offended.

(I used to be a Wintel user - you don't need to tell me I am ebil)
Old 07-09-2003, 10:40 AM   #9
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
Aw man, you called the new mac slow?

Right now it is faster than the fastest PC out there according to Apple when they had an independent company test the two fastest - a Dell and the new Mac G5. Since they had to equalize the tests - they didn't even put the entire amount of RAM in the Mac that it can use. They limited to 2 gigs. Here is the benchmarks from Veritest.

As for iMovie, I stand corrected. You are right, I was thinking of Final Cut Pro.

And I never suggested you buy a Mac for this, just use one from a friend. Sorry I offended.

(I used to be a Wintel user - you don't need to tell me I am ebil)
Don't get me wrong, I think the Mac's are cool and like the idea of at least SOME competition for wintel... but Apples benchmarks are usually... um... crappy to be polite. It seems that with the new G5 Apple is hiding the performance defecit by comparing their 64 bit box to 32 bit Intel system, the dual AMD Opteron box benchmarked on the specbench site crushes the G5 in every benchmark I saw, and forget about the Quad Opteron. Price wise at $3000 the hot G5 isn't a bad deal at all... which is nice to see from Apple.

Even comparing to 32 bit boxes there's some PC's that beat up the new Apple pretty handily (from the Spec site)...
PowerEdge 2650 (Dual 3.06 GHz Xeon) vs Dual G5-2.0
specfp - 17 vs. 15.7
specint - 22 vs. 17.2
specINTbase - 1040 vs. 800
specFPbase - 1000 vs. 840
Old 07-09-2003, 02:38 PM   #10
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I certainly wouldn't say that the G5's are slow, because they are not. It's very impressive how they went the extra mile and used SATA instead of IDE disks, and I really like the new 133 mhz PCI bus that they are incorporating.

Unfortunately, Thoran is right. A dually or quad Opteron system will crush nearly anything. With the Opterons, the front side bus is built into the chip, so the bus runs at the speed of the processor rather than being limited by anything else. Opterons are also 64 bit so they can use as much memory as ghe G5's can.

I found it odd that Apple chose to benchmark against Intel rather than selecting the AMD Opteron which is a much better match.

One thing I will say: My old man works in the aerospace indurstry. He's currently working on a missile defense program. They do government contract work and they have a number of "mission critical" computers that they need to run highly specialized software with outrageous system requirements. They've tested a number of different chips from a number of different manufacturers and the IBM chip being used in the G5 is what they finally decided to use. It had the best overall mix of performance and stability.