Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2002, 02:21 AM   #1
PlusBeta
Welcomed New User

This battle is impossible. Either I kill the purple dude first or the mage. Whichever one I don't get then screws up my whole party. I gave oil of speed to three of my members to no avail. I also tried silence 15' radius to no avail. Is there any way to win this battle at this point in the game.

P.S. I think the other two guys, not to mention the dwarf, are stronger than my characters to begin with!
PlusBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 02:34 AM   #2
PlusBeta
Welcomed New User

Does anybody care? I know I'm a newbie, but I don't see how anyone with start from scratch characters can win this battle. Am I missing something?
Old 01-25-2002, 02:36 AM   #3
PlusBeta
Welcomed New User

Does anybody care? I know I'm a newbie, but I don't see how anyone with start from scratch characters can win this battle. Am I missing something?
Old 01-25-2002, 02:54 AM   #4
eb
Manshoon

Try to take them out one and one...
Make your party stand a bit far from the Gityankis.
And make one of your party members talk to the leader.
When they attack you, run like Minsc Boo to the other party and they will come. If you have luck not every enemy will come.

A tip, make the guy who talks hasted.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:10 AM   #5
fable
Quintesson

Aren't you getting a bit carried away? Most of us don't stay in this forum all the time, you know. We have jobs, we sleep, we have wives, husbands, significant others, kids, etc. You might think about that before you start posting impatiently within less than ten minutes after your initial post.

Hell, when I was doing my first run-through of the game and needed an answer, I was pleased if someone got back with me within 24 hours. They were doing me a favor, and owed me nothing.

As to your question: I'm assuming you mean that pair of Githyanki, right? It's not cheese to summon up a little help beforehand--after all, you know they're going to be suspicious, and probably attack as soon as they figure things out. I always sent in several summoned creatures or elementals to distract one, while a couple of my melee types set upon the other. My mages for the most part hung back and cast magic missiles to prevent the githyanki from using spells, while my cleric used defensive spells and my druid cast Insect Plague. The Mordkainen's Sword spell isn't really that tough to deal with; concentrate on the githyanki, first, and let the sword wait. It will in case dispel after so many rounds.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:19 AM   #6
Whailor

What githyakis? He doesn't mean that one at all. What he means is the fight in the "Den of seven Whales" or whatever the name of the inn is, next to "Mithrest Inn" on Waukeen's Promenade.

As for the fight, then yes, if your party is lower level, then the fight will be hard. Dwarf alone has some 200+ HP. The berserker there can hit pretty hard as well, wielding the Two Handed Sword +3, Cursed Berserking (yes, the oldie from BG1).

If you just started the game and have some lvl 7-8 chars, then skip this for now. Get a bit more XP, couple more levels, and then come back. As for killing them - many ways here. I used the "bash 'em" method, i.e. went up but stayed at the stair, slapped on buffs, Hasted all, used Yoshi to set traps near the door, used one char to get the attention and make them hostile, move back to the group.. First ones who came got whacked by traps hard, and then the hasted party tanks started the beating. Dwarf and berserker never had really any chance. Their thief was revealed by True Sight and didn't last long enough against a tank. Mage and his familiar went down fast as well, familiar tad later even then the mage [img]smile.gif[/img]

From buffs, the standard ones: Bless, Chant, Defensive Harmony, Haste, Stoneskin, Blur, True Sight. Magic Missiles to get some quick punch in from mages at times. Of course, it also depends on the level of the party.. I once quite forgot about that little team up there and recalled it when I had already done many quests and such - then the party member levels were high enough, so that my main char went and smacked the wazoos out of them all alone hehe..
Old 01-25-2002, 03:24 AM   #7
eb
Manshoon

Ohh that fight..

I think i used several Cloudkills and maked me Invisible.

When some off them hade died I got in and backstabbbed.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:29 AM   #8
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

i like to do this fight as soon as possible because of the cloak of non-detection.

there are two things that irritate me about this fight. one is the confusion spell the imp casts; that can seriously reduce your chances of survival, so make sure those with low saves are far from the imp until its cast. other than that the imp and wizard arent a threat.

the other thing is that the thief will run away if he gets hurt.

my tactic is to summon as many skeletons and stick them by the mage; they dont get confused and will continue to attack. if you've got a backstabber use that on the berserker guy; take him out first as the dwarf is too damn beefy. try to cast hold person on the thief; not only will he not backstab you anymore but he won't run away with his nice items. once those two are taken care of pound the dwarf will all you have, especially spells because his AC is decent for this early in the game.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:01 AM   #9
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well heres my favourite tactic.... I usually have a fighter/Mage so naturally Stonskin [img]smile.gif[/img] and by 'This stage of the game' Im assuming you have only just come out of Irenicus' Dungeon and you have done the circus tent.... Neway if u have and ur not playing on Easy then turn it down, I usually play on Core or Hard rules and I have NEVER been able to beat them on that difficulty, so I turn the difficulty down to the lowest, then what I do is I cast all my buffing spells with Aerie, Jaheira and Myself (being a F/M) and then casting Invisibility on Minsc with the Sword of Chaos, Then I get Minsc behind Mencar (the dwarf then make my char walk in and pi$$ off the dwarf, then when they all turn hostile I get Minsc to start Whacking the dwarf, but everybody else is going for my stoneskinned F/M then In rushes Yoshi with his bow, Jah with her Scimitar and Aerie with her sling. I then get every1 cept minsc to attack the hell out of Pooky (the imp familiar) Since he casts Chaos/Confusion which just about ALWAYS stuffs up every1 due to crappy saving throws. Then get Aerie to back off out of the crowd while u attack Pooky (for dispel Magic just incase) and get her to Sling Mencar with Minsc. Then once Pooky is dead The mage will b invisible but dont bother detecting him yet, turn to 'Smelly' the barbarian and hit him with everything uve got, by this time Mencar will b getting close to killing Minsc so get him to drain a potion of extra healing b4 hacking on again (did I mention potions of speed on Minsc, main char(if hes a tank) and Jah??)then once uve killed the Barbarian with Jah, char, Yoshi and Aerie the theif will be running around being an idiot, get him to run away trying not 2 die then help Minsc finish off Mencar then detevt the Mage and Kill the bugger..... Go back downstairs and kill the now VERY weak theif then grab all the goodies

Hope it works 4 u 2
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 04:32 AM   #10
eb
Manshoon

Glorfindel has a brilliant answer as usual.