Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-24-2002, 03:14 AM   #1
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

i am in the process of writing up two NPC's, one a female sorceress and the other a male F/T, both with romances. the sorceress i have my own ideas for, but for the male i'd like some opinions on things to include, possibly up to actual dialog sessions if you're feeling creative.

some background on the male:
*probably an elf but maybe a half-elf
*leaning towards neutral, not the "all in balance" crap like a druid, more along the lines of "i don't give a damn" but without the psychoses of CN; he's a definitive smartass
*what kind, if any, quest should he have (personal/political/other/etc)
*would you prefer he have some unique abilities or unique items, or a little of both
*with the availability of good fighters, his skills will be more pure thief (find traps/locks/set traps)
*names, ladies. i need a name for him.
*dont want to spoil, just tease: he and anomen will NOT get along

the more feedback i get, the greater the likelihood ill finish it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2002, 09:20 AM   #2
fallenangeloz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sounds like fun.

I think a half-elf would suit him. More the tortured "I don't belong in one camp or the other" routine. Definately not all in balance. Would be more along the lines of the fact that if neither race wants him, then he'll be taking what he can from both. The fact that he'll have a longer life than a full human only serves his ends more.

A personal quest could be one that sees him getting back a relic from either human or elf parent. Perhaps he doesn't really want to do it, and will just sell the item for a *huge* price when he does get it. Although, once its in his possesssion, a family longing could take hold of him that he needs "comfort" to resolve within himself.

I dont think he would have any "special" abilities, although perhaps a high dex, or one other score. Perhaps a high dex and a high CHR as well due to the fact that he has had to think of his feet through his life.

Anyway, hope it helps [img]smile.gif[/img]

Fallen Angel
fallenangeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 11:31 AM   #3
Erydian
Manshoon

I'm thinking of tackling one of these myself. [img]smile.gif[/img] Of course I have some real catching up to do in the scripting department, so it's progressing very slowly.

But, on to your feedback.

First thing - IMO BG2 desperately needs more "evil" options (well in the case of female romances it just desperately needs them, period). I like your idea of a neutral character, especially one that isn't so much concerned with order/balance but is simply not inclined to care either way. How you choose to interpret that alignment is completely up to you, but in my opinion - that sort of stance does seem to be a more of a chaotic (CN) one. But then, I've never really all been that great with the alignment system (I tend to think of characters as a whole, and have a hard time classifying them at times). Some of the alignment descriptions just seem so short-sighted to me, and I have a real hard time conforming to them. You might also consider a NE alignment (being that he doesn't give a damn, and probably resorts to whatever works in a pinch). Maybe his quest could involve him realizing that there are some things that he does care about; you could even include an alignment change if you wanted to.

Whatever alignment you choose to stick with, I like the idea that this character won't be one of the multitudes following the protagonist around, full of opinions on what she should be doing. He likely won't care all that much, and she might find that appealing (or frustrating, depending on the protagonist). It's hard for me to imagine even the purest of good characters not getting a tad fed up with the fact that her entire life seems to be at the mercy of a prophecy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good call on the class, though for some reason I seem to be envisioning this character more as a swashbuckler or even an assassin. The assassin might not be a viable choice due to the skill penalties they receive, but considering the fact that you can get through the game using Imoen's dual-classed skills, that isn't really all that much of an issue. I guess I just see the flashy acrobatics of a swashbuckler complementing his smartass attitude, or the strict efficiency of an assassin complementing his "I don't care - whatever works" motto. Having never played either class (not yet anyway), I can't really comment on their effectiveness.

I definitely think that this character should have some sort of personal quest. It could be tied in with a political affair (and perhaps he resents the fact that it is) but if this is going to be a romance, you definitely want his quest to reveal the hidden depths of this guy's character. As I mentioned above, perhaps it could be something that leads him to discover that there are some things that matter to him, and whatever this quest is, it will require him to admit/display that. Despite the amount of loathing that I have for Anomen, I do have to admit that his quest wasn't all that bad - it did illuminate his character, and managed to make him slightly more tolerable in the process.

If you make him an elf, you'll need to explain why he's not among his kind (there really aren't that many elves wandering around Faerun this day and age, and those that do, generally have a reason). If you make him a half-elf, this really isn't an issue, and as Fallen Angel suggested in her post, you can incorporate his sense of not belonging into his character (though depending on where they are from, half-elves are viewed/accepted differently by humans; they are almost always excluded by elves). Given the fact that elves are generally more concerned with the bigger picture (and therefore they usually carefully consider their actions) you might be better off opting for a half-elf, though you could certainly make it work with an elven character - you'd just have to explain why he has chosen the path that he has.

I'm personally leaning towards unique items rather than unique abilities. There are already enough unique abilities in game (especially by the time you get to TOB - if you intend on making him TOB compatible as well), and unless this character has extra-planar origins, I think a unique item would be more fitting. Perhaps the item is cursed - maybe it's benefits are countered by some darker requirement. It could be a family heirloom, or an item he sacrificed something of personal value for. You could even have this item tie in with his quest.

I'd probably call him Rivanon (Rivan for short), but that's just a possibility. It takes me forever to come up with names, and even longer to decide on the one that I like best. I pity my children if I ever have them - they'll be months old before I decide on a name. You can always try agenerator if you really run into trouble (Memnoch posted that one a couple days ago - it's pretty good).

If you want/need help with dialog sessions, I'd be willing to give it a try, but I'd need to know more about the character - his background, personality, etc. I have no idea whether the character I've sort of imagined resembles the one you are. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]

Old 01-24-2002, 08:46 PM   #4
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

i like the "i don't fit in" idea for the half-elf.

i did consider fighter dualled to assassin, or multi F/assassin (it's possible through editing) but you're correct, the point sacrifice would hinder his sole reason for making him a thief, plus don't take his devil-may-care attitude to mean that he is completely selfish or only out to make his life more comfortable. i think swashbuckler is a good fit at this point.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:19 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

That's almost exactly what I did--I'm running a multiplayer prty now, and the 2 main characters are a male Assassin->Fighter and his sweetie, a female Half-Elven Cleric/Mage (more powerful than a Sorceror, IMO). He is a Child of Bhaal, and she might be (her Biography states that she's a bastard, and does not name the father), but for simplicity I didn't give her Bhaalspawn powers.

For your character, I like the ideas of how the F/T feels outcast, and wants to recover a family item for his own personal gain. You also might consider giving him a specific enemy (Tazok, for instance), and either giving him a Ranger's Racial Enemy for that type of enemy, or making him go Berserk whenever he sees that enemy. Or perhaps make the Sorceress a defector from the Red Wizards, and the F/T her bodyguard.

I gave my Assassin->Fighter a name to complement both halves: Sly MacDuff. I also like the names Aelfrith, Caedmon and Arlodan.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:33 PM   #6
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

One qeustion...... How do u make NPC's????
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 08:25 AM   #7
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well I said I would so

**BUMP**

Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 05:54 PM   #8
Morgalas Everhate
Dungeon Master

I think your F/T idea could also translate to a swashbuckler kit very well. Perhaps his romance quests could be going from thieving for selfish personal gain to a more "Robin Hood" type.
Maybe have an encounter where he is in trouble with Shadow Thieves, then an encounter with where he is in trouble with Amnish Guards. Kinda like in trouble on both sides of the law, until he meets the female main character.
The female main character can sway her influence over him gradually for this change to occur (perhaps an alignment change from Neutral to Neutral Good or something when this NPC romance concludes positively or somehting). Personality could be the dashing rogue, brave yet not foolish, with a bit of Saemon Havarian thrown in.

Stats: Swashbuckler Kit

Str:16 (+1 melee damage)
Int:15
Wis:10
Dex:17 (+2 thaco missiles, -3 AC)
Con:15 (+1 hit points)
Cha:14

Maybe give him a magic throwing dagger that returns to thrower. Something like: Coldfire, +2 throwing dagger, +2 thaco, +2 damage, damge = 1-4 +2 +1 fire damage +1 cold damage

or have him dual wield some other uncommon weapon(s)

Just a thought....
Old 01-26-2002, 06:19 PM   #9
Meanal
Dungeon Master

im new to this game but ive noticed there are no throwing spears so you could make one of them that can backstab

and what does NPC mean theres loads of other shortened words that i dont understand either