Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Default Re: R.A. Salvatore Announcing a new six-book deal with Wizards of the Coast!!!

French cheese woman? LMAO! I havent heard that one before.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: R.A. Salvatore Announcing a new six-book deal with Wizards of the Coast!!!

I have a history of this sort of Salvatore bashing e.g. http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=39343

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: R.A. Salvatore Announcing a new six-book deal with Wizards of the Coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I have a history of this sort of Salvatore bashing e.g. http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=39343

I still enjoy the novels--to a point. He's not my favorite. The Cale series is the best. (author Paul S. Kemp) Brilliant author!

R.A's fight 'scenes' are way over done. I usually skim through a few pages of the fighting because I just don't care... 9 pages of fighting one enemy is boring unless its an 'end boss' guy... but not every 20 pages.

Still, I read everything Forgotten Realms.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Aye I find RAS a bit dry. Plus, the Drizzt novels were mostly boring. Interesting character but it's so surface and cliche it just annoys me. I actually prefer Weis and Hickman's newer stuff a hundred times more. It may be lighter, but they have a way of telling a tale with such charm and humor. Skip the early stuff though - again, very cliche.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Ah! Z! I too enjoy Pual S. Kemp's character Cale!

Im also more for Robert Jordans WOT, Sanderson did do a good job with The Gathering Storm though. The battles in those books are so well detailed....oohhh.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #16
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I never did check out the Cale series - me thinks it be about time me try those out then!!!

MAJOR SPOIL incomming about Artemis and Jarlaxle...so if you have not red the books DO NOT LOOK BELOW.

- There is a triology published with Artermis Entreri and Jarlaxle Baenre - the lost son of Matron Baenre. The triology is pretty good - I actually rate it higher than many of the later Drizz't books - as we follow two VERY sharpminded and ... let's say less than moralistic heroes - there is especially a scene were Jarlaxle claims to be Drizz't that is completely whacked.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:18 AM   #17
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
I never did check out the Cale series - me thinks it be about time me try those out then!!!

OH yeah. Cale and his... 'nemesis' blow Artemis Entreri out of the water. Chaotic Neutral to the extreme! And Slaads. (I think one enjoied nice clothes) lol.. a dandy Slaad. awesome.. lol!

The first book Cale is in, which kicks it all off is:
http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Witnes...677539&sr=8-14

It begins Cale's journey, but the trilogy after it takes it to a whole other level.

The AMAZING thing is Paul Kemp's new Trilogy is back on!! (It was canceled for some reason late last year, and I was so upset.) I'm so happy its back on!

Old 03-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #18
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

A cool Forgotten Realms Novel guide website I visit a lot is at:

http://www.o-love.net/realms/index.html

Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #19
Hindsight
The Magister

I am just half of way reading Ghost King. All 3 book of series was excelent!
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #20
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
I actually prefer Weis and Hickman's newer stuff a hundred times more. It may be lighter, but they have a way of telling a tale with such charm and humor. Skip the early stuff though - again, very cliche.
Hey now. Chronicles wasn't cliche when it was new, it simply created what became cliche.

Except the dwarf that wouldn't get on a boat, that had been done before (a.k.a. Mr. T and airplanes).