Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Raffin
Dungeon Master

I'm not sure how common this is with IWD II, but I've been trying to do a run-through of the game starting with 1st level characters playing on HoF. Now the individual and pair goblins haven't been tough (just using ranged and run tactics). However, once I've beaten everyone else, and have only the big warehouse full of goblins (with the entrance to the underground area) left, and am at level 5 or so, the last part is too tough, with goblins swarming, most with bows.

Any suggestions? I've tried charm person-ing them, but while that works half of the time, they turn green but still attack (and killing them doesn't get you any xp).

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed. I don't mind it if they have spoilers-I've played all the way through before.

Many thanks,
Raffin
Raffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

HoF is the hard mode right? The trick is summons. Your summons get HoFed too, and can handle the mobs just fine. If I remember well you can also buy in town a book that summon elementals.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Like Luvian said summons are great n HoF. Also I found sleep spell to be very useful as well as entangle, web, fear. What's your party? Do you have a sorceror and a druid? Those two classes rock in HoF.

I think I'll give HoF from scratch a go sometime in IWD2. The only time I played HoF was with exported characters (around level 13).
Old 06-02-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Was once playing HoF from the start with the Undead Targos mod(not a pretty sight). After about 5 hours of pure torture, I finally reached the end of the Prologue... as a level 12 4-man group... Brrling! goes the level-up!
Anyway, the first thing you should do in an insta-HoF party, is to rush over to the Inn and take the wolf charm. Then go summons-crazy.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Raffin
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the advice.

I have no problem with most of the fights, but the one that gives me a headache is the big one in the warehouse in the northeast corner of the map, where you fight the goblins and goblin archers to enter the area underneath where the sappers are.

Bozo-You mentioned having reached the end of the prologue (on Undead Targos? Dang!) Do you remember how you beat this one fight? Or have any tips/suggestions on it?

-Raffin
Raffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Protections and Illusions are your friend. So are summons. Go summons crazy on this one, and proceed downstairs wihout rest. IIRC, the summons will follow you through.