Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
Saverico
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi guys. I want to play with my friend so only two characters and they will have to handle the difficulties together. Under the assument my friend will take a sorcerer, most probably an assimar btw he is into spellcasting, i should probably play the ,,you wont get past me" part. I would like to go with h2h character however iam afraid what to do with traps, locked chests, doors. I think it will go something like this. He will cast summonos, buffs and attack with spells. I know that a carefully played sorcerer can take the game on himself and win. However even he needs close-combat protection. At least at the beginning. So iam thinking about a grey dwarf fighter or a half-orc fighter/barbarian. I dont wanna ranger(too nice), paladin(you dont need to give me reward iam fine bleh), monk(usefull but not my type).

But as a fighter i need strength, constitution, wisdom. Dex about 12, charisma as low as it can be.
I could skimp on inteligence totally but that would mean my fiend would have to invest into find traps and disable and about everything else.

What version is better(half-orc Fighter4/Bx, grey dwarf(F))?4
What skills would you raise?
What stats?
What would be the best weapon choice?
Thanks a lot and sorry for my ****** english.
Saverico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

My friend and I were going to play a 2 player game, though we havent followed through yet. Here was the idea:

Me: Drow ranger1/rogue1/paladin2/mage

Your friend may want to try this guy. He basically is the rogue, and later will dual wield swords. The paladin levels are optional, giving him immunity to fear and allowing use of the paladin sword.

STR 12
DEX 20
CON 16
INT 20
WIS 7
CHA 5

Him: fighter4/morninglord of Lathander

You may want to try this. With maxed fighting stats (DEX 12), he is a powerful tank from hell. Go with greataxes. I chose a morninglord for powerful AoE spells to complement the mage, and for Holy Word.

STR 18
DEX 12
CON 18
INT 6
WIS 18
CHA 4

If your friend is hell bent on being a sorcerer, you may have some trouble. A possible build for you would be an Aasimir paladinx/rogue1. Make him more of a light fighter than a full plate tank, and use longswords. Take the expertise feat for added defense, since you'll need it.

Something like: (not optimal, I've never considered this build)

STR 12
DEX 18
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 8
CHA 14

[ 01-23-2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I have a tip for you when multiplayering. Have the slowest player use the autopause function, and both of you have one fighter/rogue and one spellcaster. That way, the player that needs the pauses can use so at his own leisure, and the other player has no problems hopping along because he's faster anyway. I've used this system with a friend of mine and it worked great.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I forgot to mention that if you play as a female drow you can become a great decoy for your friend's AoE spells. You run in, he casts meteor swarm, you clean up the survivors, rinse and repeat.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Saverico
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmmm. okey but do you think it would be hard(imapossible) to go with that sorcerer&tank combo? The builds you gave seem to be a little bit complicated. Morninglord? I read the rules and i dont remember about some subclass like that. What about the effective level thingy? Wont it hamper the ability to survive in latter parts of the game?
Saverico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Okay, the morninglord is the cleric of Lathander. Also, the only leveling penalty that you have will be the drow leveling slower, but with 2 characters he will get lots of xp, so don't worry.

The drow will not get any xp penalty, since mage is the favored class and the other levels are whithin 1 level of each other, so no penalty is incurred. The cleric tank will be a human or other class with a favored class of cleric or fighter.

Your two guys will be formidable, but there is no practicle way to fit in a level or two of theif. Your could try the above build, but it was just a possibility off the top of my head, and is not guranteed. You absolutely need some theivery later in the game, so even with slapping on a few theif levels your guy will need to spend just about all of his skill points into theivery skills.

I will point out that IMHO the fighter4/cleric is just as good as a straight fighter. If you check a table, clerics get almost as much of a BAB as fighters. With four levels of fighter for specialization and a kickstart of feats, you will own a fighter who can buff himself endlessly (draw upon holy might rocks!)