Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Saverico
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi guys.
After i read some topics about this(posted some of them myself) we started a duo of adventurers.
HIM
Wild elf paladin1/sorcererX
his stats are something like this
str 12
dex 20
con 16
int 1
wis 10
cha 20
now level p1/s6
ME
me half-orc barbX/druidX
str 20
dex 18
con 18
int 1
wis 18
cha 1

Pretty good i would but the orcs at the fortress kick my ***. I rested just now but it was a rest 14 days and 8hours long. Heck if i would sleep that much i wouldnt wake up ever. Healing seems missing by these guys. So i was thinking about that fighter/cleric combo. Hovewer somebody(marty4 i think) said about f4/priest of lathander for aoe spells? You serious? If i would want aoe spells i would go with a talos cleric not? Lathander has flame strike, fire storm, meteor swarm, sunscorch. Do you think it is superior to Lightning Bolt, Static Charge, Ball Lightning, Chain Lightning, Destruction, Tremor, Acid Storm Evocation ,Fire Storm a talos priest has to offer? Or were you thinking putting emphasis on boosting clerics mellee potential? Talos would kick *** wis his aoe spells and his summons would do the dirty job(summon undead etc.). With proper strenght he could kick *** as well because his bab is almost as good as a fighters. But what stats to choose?
drow female f4/lathanderX
max str, con, wis. I dont care for int can be 1,cleric needs cha , Should i go with dex oriented or heavy armor? Probably you"ll laugh at me but i think that a a fighter in full plate mail has lower ac than a rouge in leather armor with his high dexterity.
Your opinions gentlemans.
Saverico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Flame based spells, plus flame magic feat (whatever the name) = really big damage. My pure lathanderite cleric can almost match bu two sorcerers in area of effect damage. Chain lightning and acid storm are covered by my sorcs, but in don' use them all that much now as i'm in HOF.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:35 AM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

The 2 reasons that I prefer Lathander over Talos:

1. They are Good (IIRC talos must be Evil?). This allows the abuse of certain good-only spells, like Holy Word.
2. All of the AoE spells are fire based, allowing the abuse of Spirit of Flame. Also, having simple meteor swarm is nothing to huff at.

Oh, and by adding another level of paladin your friend can get immunity to fear.

Definately go with full plate with your cleric, and take 12-14 dex. The best dex-oriented armor will be worn by your friend.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:36 AM   #4
Saverico
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1. They are Good (IIRC talos must be Evil?). This allows the abuse of certain good-only spells, like Holy Word.
2. All of the AoE spells are fire based, allowing the abuse of Spirit of Flame. Also, having simple meteor swarm is nothing to huff at.

Opinions
1.Well yes i like to go with a neutral evil character because i have bad memories with my allgoodboys party at the end. A certain spell made it a disaster instead of victory however its effects(blasphemy) depends on targets level so if we go with a duo of characters we should be surely over level 12. Stunned for 1 round. One round is 4 seconds if i remember correctly. Should be able to hold my breath for that long.
Holy word. I see your point.
2.Talos has most electricity oriented so why not abuse scion of storm?
Saverico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:38 AM   #5
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

One round is 7 seconds. Considering Holy Word has a casting time of 1, this pretty much allows you to cast Mass Heal, and all the others in the party can cast offensives. Beware tho, Spell Resistance applies to Holy Word and Blasphemy. And all characters of over 12th level are stunned for 1 round. Fear that spell.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Like BoB said, it is quite good, but with an evil cleric you will have Blasphemy. Not very useful (how many evil guys are there out there?)

Sure, talos has scion of storm, but not ALL of their spells are electricity, so you may be tempted to take Spirit of Flame as well. that's
-1 feat.

Lightning Bolt, Static Charge, Ball Lightning, Chain Lightning, Destruction, Tremor, Acid Storm Evocation ,Fire Storm

Also, of these spells, none are IMHO a huge, mass destructive spell. Static charge tends to bounce around, but (at least for me) it never does as much as a fireball. The only two spells that I like from that list are the Storms, but they aren't lightening-oriented, so you have no scion of storms bonus on them.

flame strike, fire storm, meteor swarm, sunscorch

Yea. Something bad about that? flame strike is nearly on par with a priestly fireball, firestorm is crazy powerful, and meteor swarm is one of the most powerful spells in the game! Sunscorch and Agannazer's Scorcher are very helpful in the early game, and can serve as an effective troll killer.

Other than his mass destruction spells, Lathander also gets the spells Heal and Mass Heal for his domain. This is very, very useful, giving you an extra heal spell as soon as you hit that casting level.

Keep in mind with the element mastery feats, the ten spellcraft is modified by your INT modifier, so with a 3-1 INT you may need 14-15 spellcraft.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Chain Lightning is broken, as it only jumps to two targets. Lightning Bolt is dangerous to use. Ball Lighning is too high level for it's use, too constrictive. Destruction can really really help, and is a definite pick for tough fights with some powerfull enemies. Tremor can be usefull if aimed carefully, but it's level is IMHO too high for it's damage. Acid Storm is great, really usefull! And Fire Storm is one of the best fire spells in the game, given it's level and damage potential. Now, something about Static Charge and Call Lightning. These spells, if cast one or two, won't make much difference, as their damage is spread over many rounds, and in most cases the battle lasts through only 2-3 of these. But, it's main asset, is the ability to cast it before battles, as a buff. All you have to do then is wade in a bunch of enemies, and watch the thunderstorm! Battle is over in a turn, maximum!
Now, on the other side, we have Marty's suggestions of Flame Strike, which rules, Fire Storm, which also rules, Meteor Swarm, which is a judgement day spell, and Sunscorch. Sunscorch is not a praticularly powerfull spell, whe compared, but it's biggest asset is that some races and classes may cast it as a special ability. When the battle begins, all the party members throw down Sunscorch at the strongest enemy, and he stands no more. IMHO, IWD2 has much too many fire spells, and the alternatives are either underpowered, broken or non-existant(no level 9 lightning or acit or cold spell anyone?).