Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2002, 08:59 PM   #1
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Cant find my old copy of wizardry gold. dang. its missing somewhere.

all ive got is the ancient floppy disk based version for dos...
ahh yes. the old crusaders of the dark savant.
there is a common patch to get over some runtime bug,
but that doesnt work.

anyone know how or even if it will possibly run under windows 2000?
willing to run moslo if necessary

[ 04-16-2002, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: MasterPooBaa ]
Old 04-16-2002, 09:14 PM   #2
otter
Elminster

i played W7 on a Win-Me machine, a friend made me an exe that cleared you into DOS and started W7, i can't find it, this just to let you know it can be done...
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:24 PM   #3
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

sounds good, but im worried that win2k lack of "dossiness" will end up stopping it.

also... know of any other slowdown programs besides moslo?
Old 04-17-2002, 10:59 AM   #4
swavek
The Magister

I am almost sure that the dos version of crusaders will run under win2k, but you might not get any sound. as for Win2K/NT, it does not allow applications to access hardware ports in the way that DOS application like to. using a DOS boot disk is your best bet.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:10 PM   #5
Charmy
Dungeon Master

When I have a craving to play Wizardry 7 (I won't touch Wizardry Gold.. its EVIL!!!) then I am forced to play on my old DOS machine. The computer I have now runs Windows XP and uses a Santa Cruz soundcard, which has no DOS compatability whatsoever, so a DOS boot disk won't help. Whats worse, my drive is formatted in NTFS, which, as everyone knows, is totally invisible to poor old DOS.

Besides, even if you do manage to get the game to work on 2000/XP it will likely be too fast, or buggy, or with rotten/non-existant sound. More likely it just won't run at all.

Note to anyone: Keep your old DOSable machine! You will regret it otherwise! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Charmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 01:44 PM   #6
GenXCub
Drow Warrior

I'm not sure if things were modified for The Ultimate Wizardry Archives, but I have TUWA and installed Bane of the Cosmic forge on my Win2k machine, I use a boot disk and it can read the ntfs fine. The trick is not to use a dos boot disk, but to use your Windows Emergency disk with "no cd-rom support"

That will get you into the Dos based games, but like above, you're not guaranteed a working sound card.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:10 PM   #7
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

ahhh coool. good ideas.
fortunately ive found 2 solutions of my own!

firstly i manage to uncover my lost copy of wizardry gold. finally remembered i didnt get it by itself, it was a part of the ulitmate rpg archive set. cd was heavily scratched due to falling out its cover but it still worked!

also, ive pillaged my sisters old 486 laptop should i still have the desire to go completely retro *grins*
monochrome screen, but i can always plug my 17" monitor into the back of it! tee hee hee.

i like the swish bang sounds, but after a while they get annoying, so i usually turn them off to make combat faster .
Old 04-17-2002, 11:12 PM   #8
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

allright. this is dumb. got wiz gold up and running, but cant turn the sounds off! suggestions? (and will it run fullscreen?) a 320x200 window in a 1024x768 resolution screen aint funny
Old 04-19-2002, 02:32 PM   #9
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

Restarting Wiz7? I hope you have a year or so to devote to it. I have found, after trying many "solutions" for playing old CoDS on my Pentium 4, (never WizGold... it's too buggy and nasty) that it is much easier to uncover that old Pentium 1 and have at it. Moslo essentially slows faster computers down to the level of Pentium 1's, and forced me to reformat my hard drive to fix the nastiness it caused, so it's far more effecient to use it on the old ones.

the stupid write-protection gets me about half the time, tho. oh well. [img]redface.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2002, 11:03 PM   #10
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

yeah.
my sisters got an old old old 486-25 laptop.
gonna use that... plugged into my brand new 17" monitor