Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2002, 12:17 AM   #1
Charmy
Dungeon Master

I just picked up Dungeon Siege yesterday, and I returned it this morning. After playing Wizardry 8 I've found myself absolutely and totally bored with Dungeon Siege. Yes, it has gorgeous, wonderful graphics. Yes, it has a great musical score. Yes, it has a pretty cool interface. But thats it. The game is the most simplistic thing ever, even worse than Diablo. There are FOUR skills, and THREE stats, and there are so many bugs and problems in the game its shocking.

There is a total lack of depth. The game is a click-fest, like Diablo, except without the clicking. You just tap on a space on the map and then watch your character fight for you, in a pathetically non-interactive scene. The only time where you can actually feel you're managing the game to some extent is if you have only one or two people in your party. Beyond that you just sit there twiddling your thumbs. There is no character development whatsoever. Stick a bow in their hand and watch them become a master archer. Put a fire spell in their spellbook and they'll become a master mage if they smack things enough.

There is no skill, no strategy, no nothing. I was ready to fall asleep after 2 hours of the game. So I tried the multiplayer scene. Boy, that was a mistake. My biggest gripe? No backlog for chats, so if you're in an interface window, or things are scrolling by too fast you miss out on what just about everyone is saying, making 'communicate as little as possible' the name of the game. Where is the fun in that? And whats worse, multiplayer games save only your characters. Any maps you had explored, creatures you killed, incomplete quests you wanted to finish, all erased and you have to start over again. Gee, it sucks when your computer crashes after several hours of gameplay. This is absolutely horrible, Baldur's Gate never had this problem.

I could go on and on about how much I hate this game, but I'll just end saying that I really, really am going to miss the awesome gameplay of the Wizardry series, and Sir-tech. Its such a shame they're gone, because I would have been the first in line to pick up Wizardry 9.

Oh well, guess I'll play Mad Overlord until Morrowind comes out *ho-hum..* Lets hope they don't make that mindless 'twiddle-ware' too..

[ 04-12-2002, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Charmy ]
Charmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:01 AM   #2
swavek
The Magister

i myself haven't played the game, but i read a review of it over at gamespot and they mentioned most of what you said. i'm definately not going to bother with it.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:29 PM   #3
Dungeon Master

I agree with Charmy. For an RPG player, it's almost insulting. They took time to make a yawner.
I got it from Amazon though, at least I get credit back for this. I think the reason I'll give for return is "It sucks."
45464748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 05:40 PM   #4
GenXCub
Drow Warrior

I'm glad that the game purchase I made (2 days ago) was Jedi Knight 2. It's REALLY great. I'm not much for FPS games, but there are a lot of elements to this game, including more to do with lightsabers.

I was holding off on DS, M&M9, HOMM4 until I hear better reviews, or wait for the bargain bin.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:27 AM   #5
Jonni Voodoo
The Magister

I was beginning to think I'm the only person who feels this way about DS since everybody else seems to think it's the best thing since, well.. something that was, like, really great. It was the most boring experience of my life.

NWN and Morrowind are going to blow this (DS) steaming pile of feces out of the water. Hell, I'm even enjoying M&MIX more than DS.

[ 04-13-2002, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Jonni Voodoo ]
Jonni Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 02:38 AM   #6
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thats greate i dont have to buy that game!! We all have some greate thinking about games that come out and one of my disepointment is M&M IX i had WERY good hope for this game but it have 1000 bugs in it and it some boring to play...i have finnished but with an empty feeling back no good...and i hope Morrowind will be better but i dont think it will be any better than the rest of the games that are comming out this day!! Only game that i have waited for that i like wery mutch is Wizadry 8 it is the best game for me at the moment!Also Homm 4 is a litlle boring i have so little control over the spell`s and so on but maby it will be better as you play!
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 03:03 PM   #7
Farscry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmmm... I'm actually rather enjoying Dungeon Siege.

Of course, that's probably because I'm actually very easy to amuse/please. My enjoyment of DS is chiefly in adventuring to see the environments, and also just to watch the chaos unfold in battle. I can't play it for hours on end, but it's good for a one or two hour stretch.

But I also enjoy MANY other games. Wiz8 is incredible (deepest game I've played in a LONG time, possibly ever, when it comes to the character development/game system). I still go on Diablo 2 binges every few weeks. Jedi Knight II is my latest addiction (LOVE the lightsaber duels). The Heroes of Might & Magic series is a great one (though I'm holding onto what little money I have left to spend for Morrowind, gotta pay the bills with the rest!).

I love pretty much anything... and since I'm still single, have a decent job, and live fairly cheaply, I can afford to enjoy games a lot! (Though I find that I spend less time gaming the more involved I get with my girlfriend... that's just part of life, though, I suppose!)

Farscry
Old 04-15-2002, 06:27 AM   #8
Barenziahlover
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I than not surpise that DS turn out to be garage, look at who make it
MS. MS lately have being turn out garage I have more problen with their
MS internet explorer when playing games on my computer. My first computer
was than ZX-80, then commode 64 and amaiga 500.
I love Arena and Daggerfall an I cannot wait untril Norrwing come out.
People who donot play roleplaying games will think o DS must be roleplaying. It about time we role-playing game player form our own standard org. to set standard than game must meet before it can be call role-playing game.
Barenziahlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 10:54 AM   #9
nekoshippo
Dungeon Master

I played Wizardry8 four times,so I tired to play. I bought five games to play next time. These are Dungeon Siege,Might and Magic9,Blood Omen2, Jedi Knight2 Jedi outcast,and Freedom force. Dungeon Seige is most playable game in My first impressin.
nekoshippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:34 AM   #10
GenXCub
Drow Warrior

One plus for Jedi Knight 2 is that the CD can be copied, and there's no key, AND it doesn't have to be in the drive when you start it. That lets me play at work with my co-workers when I'm on break.